cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PlusNet? PlusNightmare!

ashrafmiah93
Grafter

PlusNet? PlusNightmare!

I've actually come to the point where I am fed up with the service i'm getting from ISP! The day of MW3 release which I have been anticipating for some time now and the same old (im sure everyone has experienced) fault happens. Inconsistant speeds. 2mb? My line can handle 8mb and please do not tell me about it varying i've lived here for 18 years now with my previous ISP had speeds of a healthy 8mb with 7mb being the lowest ive experienced in rare occasions. This speed drop and NAT Type Strict while playing COD is really getting on my nerves. Either its my faulty router supplied by PlusNet or a service which they cannot give me.
I dont want to hear the line "keeping your router swithced ON' will help my speed, erm no it wont because it still drops. Ive always switched my router off with my previous ISP when ever i didnt need the internet and i would always have 8mb. I think PlusNet are just trying to cover their poor service up with this.
I really thought this was a golden decision i made moving to PlusNet how ever, this isnt the case.
UPnP Enabled and still a STRICT Nat Type....hmmm
UPDATE: For the first time ever my speed hit 7mb!!! then it went back down to 3mb -__-
UPDATE: I even purchased the plus package that is made for gaming with all the fancy features and look at me suffering like a man on dial-up.
UPDATE : NAT Type has gone to OPEN now when playing modern warfare 3. Its really strange how it keeps changing like this From STRICT being the poorest to moderate then to OPEN. Hmm i think it maybe the faulty router
29 REPLIES 29
ashrafmiah93
Grafter

Re: PlusNet? PlusNightmare!

-
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi ashrafmiah93,
I've just ran some diagnostic checks and I definitely think something is not right with your connection. Are you using any extension cables/sockets to your router? I've seen some on here advised to turn off UPnP, so that might be worth a go.
Jojo Smiley
ashrafmiah93
Grafter

I simply have my router connected directley through my adsl wire which is plugged into my ADSL split socket. I actually think it may be a router problem? Im not quite sure but these speed rates and poor connection should not be happening from experience ive had with my previous ISP. I really believe plus net is a good ISP but these small issues really can make people get put off.
I cant turn my UPnP off as that stops me from playing online games on my ps3 so that definatley isnt an option and i dont think will help.
adie:quote
StuartUK35
Grafter

the NAT issue will be down to a shite router (if PN supplied, then its a Thomson = Happy Shopper).  Have a peek on ebay for a Netgear, etc... Avoid Cr.apkin (as in Belkin) and Thomson...
The speed issue is defo PN, unless you pay £5 on top of what you already pay, you will be on a 2mb (234kb) line for 2/3rds of the day.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI ashrafmiah93,
With regard to your set up, can you, or are you plugged into the test socket?
As for the UPnP and the PS3, it might be worth taking a look at this very useful post by one of our staff.
Jojo Smiley
ashrafmiah93
Grafter

My PS3 went back to strict wen i turned UPnP off. I cant believe i pay for the plus package meant for gaming and stuff and i still dont get that service im paying an extra £5 for this is a ripoff. This has nothing to do with my setup or anything. This is all down to the faulty (supposed) router i recieved or its  PLUSNET issue. Like ive said no issues with O2 who also supply a thompson router the same exact as mine who i was with for atleast 5 years. They never told me not to turn my router off which i always used to and had great speeds. Is it possible for me to try out a new thompson router since i believe i was given a faulty one? With my contract i was given a free one because of my 12 month contract.
dick:quote
matt_2k34
Grafter

@ashraf,
Ignoring the troll- comments about the poor thomson router, the thomson router is absolutely adequate for gaming, aswell as using broadband services (it doesnt offer the advanced features of the expensive ones, but what do you expect?)
Theres several "Strict Nat" threads on here, it might be worth giving the instructions ago, theres some updated ones posted by a member of staff Here
Regards
ashrafmiah93
Grafter

Its not just that its also my sudden speed drops every few days or so sometimes it also lasts a whole day. 1-2mbs. Highest i achieve is 5mb. This is very strange when i always had around 7-8mb with all my previous ISPs :S
adie:quote
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi ashrafmiah93,
Your speed will be low because our profile is set to 2500, which was set by the BT profile. This will have happened because of the disconnections in the graph. If you can run a BT speed test and let me know what it says your IP profile is, I can change it manually for you from our side.
Jojo Smiley
ashrafmiah93
Grafter

Why is my speed set to 2500?? Why has this never happened to me with my previous ISPs when i turned my router off everyday and my profile was never set low. My line is capabale of 8mb yet its being set to 2500? When i try to run a test it fails. I know my line is capable.
matt_2k34
Grafter

the BT equipment has set a line limit of slower (2.5meg) because of the large amount of disconnects.
Look at the graph JoJo has posted. (the red lines = drop in connection)
It could be brought on by either a dodgy router, poor line conditions (e.g. line fault) or you were disconnecting and reconnecting.
If you can explain why it disconnected between 18:00 - 23:00 so many times, then its not a problem, else it might be advisable to raise a fault so BT can come look.
Regards
ashrafmiah93
Grafter

I had disconnected the router to fix the NAT Type going Strict while playing MW3 the restarting router usually fixes that problem but it didnt that day. I still dont know how it makes sense when i disconnect occasionally my self my speeds drop and get fixed to 2500. When i turned my router off on a daly basis with my O2 provider and they never set my speeds because i kept disconnecting my router?. Isit possible for my profile to be set back to normal now? I did a bt test and it said something like my line capable of 7280 or something im trying to do the test again but it keeps failing.
matt_2k34
Grafter

It wil only let you do one per hour, it will require the profile to be lifted on BTs side. This can take 3 days to occur.
You should not disconnect your router that many times in quick succession, as it makes it look like your line cannot support the speed, and would drop it incrementally each time until the line is stable.
Turning it off once, and turning the router off *several* times are very different. it would not matter if you turned the router off nightly, as it would not be seen as instability.
Whenever you do disconnect it is advisable in future that you use the disconnect button from the router interface.
O2 doesnt use profiling in the same way as BT, therefore it might of been that the profile was 'fixed' at a set speed, currently that is not possible to be done by BT or *ANY* BT Provider.
Regards
ashrafmiah93
Grafter

Thank you Matt. So what happens in regards to my poor speed then? What do I have to do to make it go back to normal? Furthermore, I think my router is a bit faulty because of my NAT Type going Strict occasionally. Talking to some other people it seems disabling the UPnP causes the strict NAT Type. but My UPnP is always available. Also on the playstation 3 when I look up on the network setting summary it says NAT Type 2 which is strange. The only reason why I disconnect is because of the NAT Type changing which fixes the issue I have no other reasons to disconnect it. Isit possible to try out a new Thompson router?