cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plus blocking VNC?

FooAtari
Grafter

Plus blocking VNC?

Have Plus started blocking VNC access?  For no reason that I can find I have been unable to connect to either of PC's over VNC that I was previously able to .  I have checked my firewall settings and nothing has changed and everything seems to be correct, so was just wondering if there were any changes on Plus' side of things?
7 REPLIES 7
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Re: Plus blocking VNC?

Not to my knowledge. What package are you on? When you say you've checked your firewall, are you talking about the PlusNet firewall that can be configured in the Member Centre.
I use VNC from work to my Premier-provisioned line at home so I'll give that a whirl when I get into the office (it was fine on Friday though).
Edit: Just got to the office and fired up VNC and it seems to be working fine. What happens if you run a probe on port 5900 from your Plusnet line here?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Turn ff any firewalls and try again to see if they are the problem - this includes the PN firewall and remember to reboot router after changing the PN one.
pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

Just to echo Bob's testing, I VNC'd from a BBYW Option 2 account to my work computer (non PlusNet) this morning without a problem, and also to another of my sites which is on PAYG.  No problems with either of them.
Phil

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

MickKi
Grafter

Severe throttling can bring VNC connections which need high bandwidth to be effective, to their knees.  If you only have experienced this problem at peak times, try again off peak.  Using something like FreeNX for your VNC sessions should overcome the throttling problem - assuming of course that this is the problem with your VNC session.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Mick,
The OP shouldn't have any issues as a result of throttling. Not with the account type they are on.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

MickKi
Grafter

Apologies if I gave a bum steer - the OP didn't say what account he's on so I was making a general statement as to what might have affected it.
If bandwidth is not an issue then it might have something to do with a software update on the PCs which might have affected the firewall settings - still guessing here as we don't even know what the respective OS' are.
FooAtari
Grafter

Totally forgot I posted this.
I have disabled the plus.net firewall already.  Ill check my settings again.  Thanks