Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plus Net won't let me upgrade?! Ready to leave

ScottT
Dabbler

Plus Net won't let me upgrade?! Ready to leave

This is a joke now
I moved to my new house and originally ordered the 40/20 product (which several Plus Net representatives have since claimed don't exist, despite it being on the website and despite me having it) because the line estimate for my line was 38-56mb downstream, 14 mb up.
Of course, having worked for BT in the past, I know how stupid the OR line checker is and how it has a single estimate for an entire street, not based on the line. I could've ordered the 80/20 package from new but decided to play it safe.
I move in, and suddenly realise I'm right next to the DSLAM cab. Sync speeds (as verified by OR engineer) are over 80/20 and hooking up a modified Huawei modem confirms that sync speed is in fact 85/42. Plus Net themselves have confirmed 80/20 sync speed as well.
So, we get on the phone to Plus net to switch to 80/20 which I need for work - cue being stuck on the phone for ages to finally be told we can't upgrade because my line estimate is 38mb. I've been through several departments and several tickets and Plus Net says no!
The sync speed on the line is 80/20!!! I'm maxing out 40/20 and the line will easily take 80/20 seeing as I'm right next to the DSLAM.
What is going on Plus Net?! Literally trying to throw money at you and despite your technical team saying yes (take you literally 30 seconds to change the line profile), because your billing system says no, we don't get it?
Fortunately I have Virgin available as a backup but I was hoping to stick with Plus Net because I need the higher upload speed of FTTC for work too
28 REPLIES 28
chenks76
All Star
Fixes: 12

Re: Plus Net won't let me upgrade?! Ready to leave

maybe, just maybe, it's the "know it all" attitude you seem to be exuding.
did you use that attitude when you spoke to them on the phone?
of course, if you feel you could get better service elsewhere then you'd be a fool not to leave and go to them.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

What does http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome say?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
ScottT
Dabbler

Quote from: chenks76
maybe, just maybe, it's the "know it all" attitude you seem to be exuding.
did you use that attitude when you spoke to them on the phone?
of course, if you feel you could get better service elsewhere then you'd be a fool not to leave and go to them.

The know-it-all attitude is only because I'm annoyed after going through the grind several times, I and my wife have always been very courteous on the phone, as we always are. Thanks for the top tip though.
Quote from: jelv
What does http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome say?

BT OR checker has 38-55mbit downstream for the whole street. But we do get 80/20 sync, which is why it's frustrating
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Is that checking by phone number or post code?
In any case if it's saying up to 55 for you where the heck are Plusnet getting 38 from? It sounds like there is something in the Plusnet system that caps the estimate at 38 if you are on the 40/20 product.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
ScottT
Dabbler

Checking by phone number - but you get the exact same checking the phone number at my house (start of the street) and phone number at a house at the end of the street (again, ORs database is only held on a street level, annoyingly)
Plus Net take the conservative low estimate of the clean line OR record (i.e. 38MB for the end of my street) to avoid people getting their hopes up too high. But again - actual sync speed is 80/20 (as confirmed by Plus Net themselves, so they're clearly aware) because I'm right next to the cabinet, hence frustration 😞 It's a billing system issue on Plus Nets part which they won't budge on
AndyH
Grafter

What's your IP Profile - run http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/ and Further Diagnostics.
ScottT
Dabbler

Unfortunately the BT WS IP profiler was returning a fault when I ran it the last few times - not sure what's wrong with it. Will try it again later when I get home
AndyH
Grafter

You can try it from wherever you are now as you just need your phone number - unless you're on a mobile.
ScottT
Dabbler

Ah good point - they'd have no way to correlate your IP with your phone number, duh on my part 🙂
IP Profile for your line is - 77.44 Mbps
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 20 Mbps
(ignore the speed test itself of course! I'm on an office connection right now)
AndyH
Grafter

Should be a straightforward upgrade - some members of staff need retraining...
ScottT
Dabbler

That's my problem, we've been through many members of staff and several tickets now, it has been thrown around and keeps getting rejected 😞 Not really sure what else to do - seems like there's no options left
Acassim
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi ScottT,
Sorry to hear about the confusion surrounding this change, As I'm sure you're aware, we still provision a service on 80/20 even when providing the 40/20 product and we just restrict it on our side so we can easily make the switch for you but it sounds like the agents you spoke with have been sticking to the details they can see on the checkers estimate.
If you're happy with the change in price I'm sure that one of the CRT members on here can make the changes for you, just let us know and we'll get this queued up for you.
ScottT
Dabbler

Hi Adam,
That would be massively helpful - thank you! Yes please if you could, I'm happy to pay the extra
Just to confirm - I've only recently signed up as mentioned, so would like to carry on with the special offer (8.99 for 6 months then 19.99, we're currently on the 3.99 for 6 then 14.99).
Thanks again
Acassim
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Thanks for getting back to me ScottT,
I'll have a word with the instant account change wizards and see about getting you switched over today. You should be fine to keep the remainder of the offer on the new product so I'll ask for that to be re-applied for you too.
You should see the changes take hold over the course of the next hour or so  Wink