cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plus Net support like my Speed has gone South !

daveg6hni
Grafter

Re: Plus Net support like my Speed has gone South !

Nanotm Hi, I think you might be onto something !
I just turned the modem off for 60secs an then turned it back on and I'm now back up to just over 30Mbs !
Not perfet but a definite improvement.
The replacement PSU was a PN/BT requirement, but as the issue frequency is slowly increasing you could well be right.
I have the BT modem screwed to the wall next to he BT line box, but it is not in a filtered mains socket, I do have a spare 4way surge block somewhere so I will get that in circuit asap.
daveg6hni
Grafter

Well I have now put the BT Modem's PSU into the same Surge Block/UPS that I use for my NAS and it has been on for 24 hrs now.
Having just run a BTW test my IP Profile is still only 32.33Mbs, while on PN my IP profile is only showing as 33.4Mbs.
Better than the 25.9Mbs it was on Friday, but still someway off the 37Mbs it was before this fault started.
It is now 10:40 am Monday 16th Sept - No sight or sound of the BT engineer, I hope he won't be much longer I had to postpone a visit to a client to stay in this morning !
BT Engineer has just replaced modem and done a speed test after resetting my profile back to 40Mbs
However, the PN profile is still suck at only 33.4Mbs
Can you please up to 40Mbs so that we can test new modem
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

if the problem is fixed then its good news, as for the profile update they normally take a day or two to filter through, of course the support team can probably perform a manual reset Smiley
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
daveg6hni
Grafter

Now that PN have reset my profile I can download at 36Mbs, but I can see 1% packet loss on my Think Broadband Quality Graph, which probably means that it won't last.
Given the choice I would be happy to accept a 5% packet loss if it meant I got a higher speed connetion.
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/1bc9423be3c910722c8b3fdb9077b509.html
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Your speeds certainly seem better now and more consistent, you shouldn't really be getting any packet loss though. I'd monitor over the next few days and see where it's at.
daveg6hni
Grafter

My PN profile today has increased to 40Mbs, that's 2Mbs more than yesterday.
I will do a BTW speed test when I get home.
The packet loss is vey low, less than 1% looking on the TBQM, Sam Knows shows me downloading at 36.3Mbs and only 1 instance of a packet loss at 1.95% probably when my profile switched ?
Also Latency has dropped to 10ms, so all looking good.
Dave.G6HNI
daveg6hni
Grafter

Well 5 days on and my PN profile is still holding at 40Mbs.
My Latency did drop to 10ms for a day or two, but has gone back up to 18ms and the (0.5-1.0)% packet loss has dropped back to zero.
SamKnows box is also showing my speed as slowly increasing, today it is up to 36.02Mbs
So it looks like the new modem has made a big improvement, now we just have to wait a few weeks to see if it has also cured the intermittent sudden drop to 26Mbs.
daveg6hni
Grafter

Oh Dear I has just spotted that my speed has dropped down again, this time from 36Mbs to 27Mbs, even though I had less that 0.1% packet loss and 18ms latency.
So it does not look like it is the modem after all.
It is also not confined to Weekends now either !
UPDATE
Having turned the BT Modem OFF & ON again my speed has jumped back up to 33.3Mbs Huh