cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plus Net dropped the ball :( - New(ish) FTTC profile check PRETTY PLEASE

BRABUS
Grafter

Plus Net dropped the ball :( - New(ish) FTTC profile check PRETTY PLEASE

Can someone at Plus Net please check the profile for my in-laws FTTC.  Their account name is TAFFYLAND.
They had this installed on 14th August and the engineer checked the line with his kit and said it was a speed of 38mb which was inkeeping with the fact that they were originally set on a 40/10 connection. This was before the account was changed to the new Fibre Extra the same day with an 80/20 setup.
Even though the BT website says they can get a download of 57.7 and upload of 20 they are currently still only getting 19mb download and 1.8 upload.  Their 10 day training period is now over so I wondered if some kind person at PN could have a look please and possibly reset their profile or what ever magic it is you do.
15 REPLIES 15
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: New(ish) FTTC profile check PRETTY PLEASE

How do they connect to the router, wired or wireless?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Hi BRABUS,
Just had a look at the results of the speed tests that have been run, and the speeds are lower than they should be. Is the connection a wired or wireless connection?
I have changed the profile of the account as the upload was stuck on 2MB/s. This will take up-to 24 hours to complete.
I'd also suggest running another couple of speed tests in-case we need to take this further.
Chris

BRABUS
Grafter

Thanks for looking Chris.  The tests have all been run from their desktop over ethernet which is using the patch lead that came with the new router.  I have also tried it using another patch lead.

Just got the inlaws to turn all pc's etc off except for the desktop we have just done these tests from using ethernet again.  Here are the results.
speedtester.bt.com gave these results
Download speed
Actual: 36.51
Max Achievable: 38.71
Upload speed
Actual: 1.86
Max Achievable: 2.0

speedtest.btwholesale.com gave these results
Download speed (Mbps): 37.54
Upload speed (Mbps): 1.80
Ping latency (ms): 154.75

That ping latency looks worryingly high  Shocked
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Thanks for getting them to try that. I've run a number of different diagnostics but can't see any obvious causes so I'm going to advise that they raise a fault about that.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
BRABUS
Grafter

Cheers Adam, ticket #59477236 has been raised.
BRABUS
Grafter

Another set of download figures just done 4/9/2012 @ 19:56.  All pc's etc turned off except for the desktop we have just done these tests from using ethernet again.  Here are the results.

Download speed Actual: 36.19
Max Achievable: 38.71
Upload speed
Actual: 1.87
Max Achievable: 2.0

Download speed (Mbps): 38.13
Upload speed (Mbps): 1.76
Ping latency (ms): 21.50

So the change to increase the upload speed has done nothing and the download speed is still pants  Cry

Fault case raised yesterday before lunch and no updates yet besides saying it takes 24 hours  Huh Huh
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

I wonder whether the quickest fix for this might be to try moving them to the 40/2 product, then when that's complete move them to 80/20 again. Sounds daft I know but I wonder if BT's administration and operational systems hold different product information.
David
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Doesn't sound that daft.
Sometimes downgrading then re-upgrading seems to 'clear the blockage', as long as this process does not incur undue costs for Plusnet it seems a worthwhile approach.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
BRABUS
Grafter

No need to downgrade.
Tech support have added to our ticket.  Although we contacted PN 24/08/2012, 11:06  to the product from 40/10 to 80/20 and we had a confirmation 24/08/2012, 11:11 to say that it had been done we are still in fact on 40/10.

Our ticket now says they have requested the 80/20 and it will take 24 hours.  Lets just hope it is 24 hours and not the 379 hours it has taken so far to go no where fast.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Plus Net dropped the ball :( - New(ish) FTTC profile check PRETTY PLEASE

Hi BRABUS,
Looks like the order has completed now, just checked the BT profile and it's showing as over 77000 (this is matched with the profile on our side being set to 78000) so all should be good now? Please let us know if not.
BRABUS
Grafter

Cheers Matt, I will ring the mother-in-law this evening and get her to do the BT tests again.  What sort of speed do you think they should show?
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I'd hope at least 70Mb download, not sure about upload but I'd be guessing around 12-15Mb/s Smiley
BRABUS
Grafter

Thanks Matt.  I am not at all jealous of their speeds and they only live in a poxy little village Sad
I will post stats up later just for completeness.
BRABUS
Grafter

Wow these new speeds are GREAT.  In laws said to say thanks to the Plus Net people  Cool

Download speed Actual: 71.20
Max Achievable: 77.16
Upload speed
Actual: 12.02
Max Achievable: 20.00

Download speed (Mbps): 73.57
Upload speed (Mbps): 12.46
Ping latency (ms): 23.38

I am assuming that it now has to have yet another 10 day learning period so lets hope the speed doesn't go down.