cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plus.Net Speed Problem

ToonBall
Dabbler

Plus.Net Speed Problem

Well since the beginning of Feb, I have 2hrs outage, my speed drop from an average 14Mbps to 6Mbps.  This was restored for a week, but now back 6Mbps.
The troubleshoot site is just a massive delaying tactic, check this, check that, do a speed test 3 times (with an hour in between).

The question is, without going to Virgin (and heard their shocking at service) would I be any better with any other provider considering it would be working on BT line to the same exchange?
--- Just about to post this and am disconnected.
11 REPLIES 11
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: ToonBall's Speed Problem

Hi ToonBall,
I can see you've raised a fault and it's with our team, thanks for that. We'll get you an update on there as soon as we can.
With regard to the faults troubleshooter, we understand that it can be frustrating but it's important for a couple of major reasons. The first and foremost is that it gives our fault agents the information necessary to investigate the fault, particularly the BT speed test results in the case of a speed issue like yours (though it's often the case that slow speed issues are caused by drops in connection, which leads to the DLM system - that's dynamic line management, which runs on the exchange equipment and automatically ensures that the line runs at its fastest possible stable speed - lowering the connection speed in order to stabilise the line). The second is to make sure that the fault isn't being caused by either the equipment or internal wiring at the customer's premises, as our suppliers will guarantee the connection up to and including the master socket but not beyond there. Unfortunately if an engineer attends and finds the fault is to do with either the equipment or internal wiring a charge of £60 will be issued.
Hope that helps explain, and I'm sorry that things aren't working as they should be at the moment. As I said we'll update you as soon as we can.
ToonBall
Dabbler

Thanks Matt, but having been a plus.net customer for over 9 years the support site has got worse.
Not everyone has a second router / modem, so I except some actually buy another router when 9 / 10 it's not required.
As it happens I do, because I work in IT, and therefore know that bandwidth / connection issues general happen within the local exchange.
My support ticket was answered and now am up to an average of 12Mbps, which certainly an improve, and something that was improved within the local exchange.
Better but at the lower end of the BT Wholesale ADSL checker (10 - 19.5Mbps).
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Thanks for the feedback, as you may understand it's difficult to have one faults tool to cater for all levels of knowledge and understanding of such issues and it's important to rule out factors in your own domain. We do realise that this isn't appropriate in every case but it's not something we want anyone to overlook.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
ToonBall
Dabbler

Re: Plus.Net Speed Problem

Told you reboot the my router and wait for the 10 day training period.  So far, my speed has reduced from 12 to 10.5  (After 4.5 days).
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Where are you getting the speed results from ? Smiley
ToonBall
Dabbler

speedtest.net and BT speed tester.
Tonights scores:  speedtest.net - 9.7Mbps
BT speed tester - 8.66Mbps
So it's getting worse again.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Are these tests done wired or wireless?
ToonBall
Dabbler

Wired and Wireless between 11Mbps and 12Mbps now.
But for how long?  Well until I find an alternative ISP hopefully, several months of poor / unreliable service. 
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hmm, seems a bit odd that nothing's improved given that your profile is back up to 13400 following the reset - I guess you're not seeing those kind of speeds?
ToonBall
Dabbler

Never see above 12Mbps.  Currently running between 500Kbps and 2Mbps (Friday 23rd Mar 2012  19:30) see attached the BT speed check and Speedtest.net results.
Speeds have been high unreliable since beginning of Feb, even outages.  The more I log the problem the worse it gets....  Then am told for the hour that it reaches back to 12Mbps (it's with accept limits).
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi ToonBall,
What router are you using? I can see you had the misfortune of getting a good speed result when we were testing. Were the poor speeds obtained when using wired or wireless? Were there any other programs running (possibly in the background) when you were experiencing the slower speeds?
Jojo Smiley