cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plug the Ethernet cable directly into the BT Modem??? O.o Plusnet for real?

SuperSaiyan4
Grafter

Plug the Ethernet cable directly into the BT Modem??? O.o Plusnet for real?

Ok so I got these results back from PlusNet
KBD
BRAS N.A. Profile Info N.A.
EPP506 - The relevant BTW checks have passed.Test 1 of the performance tester has failed. To continue with further analysis, End User needs to execute Test 3 of the performance tester. Fault may lie in Internet domain. Please ask the End User to run Performance test (TAP3 only) and re-test in KBD.
PTTR
Type Date Direction Profile Speed
TAP-1 17-2-2013 (21:19) DownStream 59555 (6640) What im apparently getting in brackets
TAP-1 17-2-2013 (21:19) UpStream 20000 (10720)
GEA Service Test
Test Outcome Pass
Test Outcome Code GTC_FTTC_SERVICE_0000
Description GEA service test completed and no fault found .
Main Fault Location OK
Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 61.5
Upstream Speed 20.0
Appointment Required N
Fault Report Advised N
Profile Name 40M-80M Downstream, Interleaving Low - 10M-20M Upstream, Interleaving Off

RADIUS: Connected for 14 Days, 10:48:23
Summary - Line stable, sync and profiles have no issues, sync is below estimate and amount suggests distance from CP, PTTR is too low, need to confirm direct to modem along with TAP3.
Next Action - Return to EU.
--------------------------------------------------------
Now PlusNet tell me to directly plug the Ethernet cable into the back of the BT Modem erm sorry but this will do what exactly? (After trying...) Lo and behold does nothing but give me an Error 61 message.
My PC is connected via Ethernet to the router, the router is then connected to the modem.
During the day I get around 57mb which I complained originally that I should be getting 70.5mb which is what I was told I WILL get on an 80mb line.
My IP profile is set to 59mb so yeah that sounds like the obvious place to start...
During the evening I seem to sometimes get between 3-6mb and a high ping...Now its obvious my speed is being throttled by PlusNet since I came over from BT I have never ever in all my years of having internet with other companies ever had this issue at the same address especially with a new BT line...
So what do PlusNet want me to do now? Go to my local greencabinet and do my own tests whilst plugged in Matrix style?
7 REPLIES 7
SuperSaiyan4
Grafter

Re: Plug the Ethernet cable directly into the BT Modem??? O.o Plusnet for real?

Also why is it saying:
Telephone number:020*******
Phone exchange:********
Estimated line speed:40Mb (Accurate to within +/- 1Mbit)  -
Checked on 2013-01-07 14:23:01
Current line speed:78 Mb
Seriously? Estimated 40mb?? When all the tests done saying that I should be getting 70.5mb, why on earth would you then say 40mb then says current line speed 78mb?
Something is seriously not right here *sigh*
Biggest mistake ive ever made clearly seems having gone to PlusNet *facepalm*
picbits
Rising Star

You can plug your computer directly into the network socket on the BT Modem - you would also need to set up a new PPPoE connection on your PC.
This rules out potential issues with the router by accessing the modem directly. Give me a couple of minutes and I'll find you the instructions for connecting up via PPPoE
*Edit - here is the PPPoE setup intructions - http://community.plus.net/library/broadband/fibre-help-how-to-set-up-a-pppoe-dialler-in-vistawindows...
My speed varies between 68mb (was 73 initialy) during quieter times and drops to 52-55Mb during peak times. I've seen as low as the mid 40s but according to the BT OR engineer there were only a couple of us on the cabinet.
SuperSaiyan4
Grafter

How odd I followed their instructions and it doesn't work. Im on Windows 8 Pro.
SuperSaiyan4
Grafter

So what do I do now? I followed those instructions and it fails gives me error code 61 and cannot find an internet connection.
picbits
Rising Star

Not a clue I'm afraid as I don't use Windows 8 so can't comment on how to set up the networking on it.
I see from some of your other posts that you've had issues with other ISPs on your line - in fact you have a few posts open complaining about speed issues - you might want to stick to just the one.
SuperSaiyan4
Grafter

The only ISP ive had previously which was a problem was BT, over the years I have been with other companies but that was many years ago on ADSL 2+ not fibre.
PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

Quote from: SuperSaiyan4
... but that was many years ago on ADSL 2+ not fibre.

Define "many" - ADSL2+ started roll-out in 2007 IIRC.
Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.