cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please set me up like this again (year or so ago ) as it 3was working fine but has now slowed down

stathe
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Please set me up like this again (year or so ago ) as it 3was working fine but has now slowed down

Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
WAN PPPoA 192328944 217723482 0 1185 2395 359:55:00
LAN1 Link down 9372789 6575589 0 3900 2473 134:58:32
LAN2 100M/Full
LAN3 1000M/Full
LAN4 Link down
WLAN b/g/n 145M 54951613 44845249 0 737 303 365:09:25
WLAN a/n 300M 3248292 2527596 0 1802 1140 365:09:19

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Link Rate 2378 Kbps 794 Kbps
Line Attenuation 69.0 dB 43.6 dB
Noise Margin 2.2 dB
18 REPLIES 18
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Re: Please set me up like this again (year or so ago ) as it 3was working fine but has now slowed do

@stathe 

Looking at your results I wouldn't describe this as 'working fine'. You are obviously on the end of a very long line and your connection would appear to have been hanging on a thread with a 2.2dB SNR. With the wider uptake of broadband and more people streaming and working from home this was bound to degrade with time.

Have you investigated the availability of fibre or using mobile data?

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

stathe
Rising Star

Re: Please set me up like this again (year or so ago ) as it 3was working fine but has now slowed do

For me at the time it was fine  I am aware of my situation and do not have a hope of fibre out here ,but as it was set a year or so ago and has been working well I would like it to be reset at these values. I have unfortunately or fortunately had family visitors who may have caused the decline with multiple devices 

System Up Time 27:12:15
Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
WAN PPPoA 1692643 1699936 0 184190 122682 02:23:45
LAN1 Link down 3396765 3402720 0 7249 42257 27:11:59
LAN2 100M/Full
LAN3 1000M/Full
LAN4 Link down
WLAN b/g/n 145M 1598861 1136331 0 17615 1991 27:11:28
WLAN a/n 300M 212826 81905 0 679 236 27:11:22

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Link Rate 2151 Kbps 779 Kbps
Line Attenuation 71.0 dB 45.5 dB
Noise Margin 3.7 dB
stathe
Rising Star

This is how it is now , and presume this is why my previously low speed has now declined   even more 

stathe
Rising Star

I had hoped that someone could help me with this or maybe make some realistic suggestions We dont actually get many disconnections , over the years I have mentioned the  situation and it seems to get  better afterwards perhaps a look at my previous posts re my speed ,would show something 

Baldrick1

@stathe 

To put this into perspective you are asking for the SNR to be set to 2.2dB, which is below the minimum standard setting of 3dB, to increase the synch speed by about 10%.

At 2.2 dB SNR it's quite possible that the error rate will increase such that any improvement in your real world download speed is unchanged.

I would be tempted to investigate leaving Plusnet and joining an ISP such as BT who are participating in the USO initiative and see if they can help.  https://www.gov.uk/government/news/high-speed-broadband-to-become-a-legal-right

Moderator and Customer

stathe
Rising Star

I dont want to do that for many reasons and was under the impression that BT owns Plusnet perhaps you could see what was said a year or so ago and why it was set like this  I am too old to comprehend these things and just want to see  I  player and use Meet  and such things , without problems ,as I have done for the last year or so . Anyway I think I am signed up for ages  There is a local radio thing here but it  is far  too expensive for me  Thank you for your interest

pvmb
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

@Baldrick1 wrote:

@stathe 

To put this into perspective you are asking for the SNR to be set to 2.2dB, which is below the minimum standard setting of 3dB, to increase the synch speed by about 10%.

Pardon me for butting in. Is it the case that 3db is indeed the "standard setting" for SNR?

I am still stuck on 6dB, as I have been for years. As my line has now proved able - following hardware intervention by me at my end - to maintain connection continuously for considerable periods, I would like to once again try for 3dB as I used to have in the past. Is this doable?

I still get bursts of CRC errors now and then, particularly with incoming phone calls, but usually CRC errors are at a low level and I no longer get ADSL drops, apart from when I have forced them myself in respect to testing for a fixed IP address. An as yet general, unresolved Plusnet issue!

pvmb

Baldrick1

@pvmb 

When the DLM is reset its default is 6dB. At this point it will monitor the line and can go either way depending on the line environmental conditions. If the line will support it the SNR will decrease with a corresponding increase iin speed until the SNR reduces to what could be considered an end stop at 3dB. If the noise increases again after this point is reached then then the SNR will decrease until the DLM records excessive errors and will increase the SNR again to compensate.

As an example I once noted that my connection was slowing but the synch rate was at the maximum. However the error rate was very high, resulting in the slow down in real world download speed. When I looked the SNR was 1.8dB.

I dropped the connection and on recconnecting the synch speed dropped, the SNR increased and my download speed increased. It's all a balancing act!

Moderator and Customer

stathe
Rising Star

Trouble is if I disconnect too many times my line will be deemed unreliable and degraded , which it is not , its  just slow  So I don't feel inclined to switch it off,  

Baldrick1

@stathe 

If you read my post again you will note that I dropped the line to force an increase in SNR in reply to  @pvmb, which is not what you are asking for.

For information if you ever want to switch off the connection the trick is to log into your hub and select 'disconnect' before switching off. This is then logged as a deliberate disconnection rather than a dropped line. Then to be sure leave it off for over 15 minutes before switching back on, after which you will again have to log in and select 'connect'.

Moderator and Customer

stathe
Rising Star

Thank you

tinytaco
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 29

Together with our network partners at Openreach we will try to provide you with the best speeds possible. If you feel this is not the case, please raise your speed fault online at faults.plus.net

Noor
 Plusnet Help Team
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 156

@stathe 

There is something odd about those stats.  Neither 2.2dB not 3.7dB are 'standard' SNRM levels.  Each indicates a change in back ground noise levels compared to what was present at the time of resyncing.  The line attenuation figures have changed too, which might suggest iffy joints on the line.

In the big scheme of things, there is minimal difference between 2.1mbps and 2.3mbps however these speed will not support "the family visiting" who are likely to be used to more bandwidth better able to support concurrent usage.

What has given you the impression that things are markedly slower?  The raw sync speeds are unlikely to support such assertions ... however an increase in error rates due to a line fault (as opposed to a service configuration) might.  You need to go through the basics here.

Broadband is not going to work well if the "phone" line is not working properly.

Please perform a quiet line test - dial 17070 select option 2 using a corded phone plugged into the test socket behind the face plate of the master socket. It should be silent. A noisy phone line (or no dial tone) will have a marked adverse impact on the performance of broadband.

If the line is noisy or there is no dial tone, then a PHONE LINE fault needs to be raised with your phone provider. If this is PlusNet, you can report a fault on line using the button below.  From the Q&A list, choose the one which matches the problem, 'open' the 'section' and click the trouble-shooter link.  NB: If you receive a failure message (rather than a log-in prompt) then log-in to the user portal in a different browser tab and attempt to use the trouble-shooter again.

Those stats look as though they come from a netgear router which works well with router stats (see below).  Detailed monitoring might be helpful here.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

stathe
Rising Star

I have routerstats lite on , how will that help ?? Can I copy the graphs to here ?