Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please reset my line

grahamn
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Please reset my line

About 3-4 weeks ago, there were some power cuts in our area and the ADSL disconnects that go with such events.
Since that time, we are now syncing at lower speeds, sometimes with incredible latency (> 800ms) but I think that was maybe gateway related.
Before this we had no speed or latency issues, but despite leaving the connection up 3 days then 5 days then 10 days each restart brings no improvement.
I'm still seeing:
Down 15.9
Upstream .88
SNR between 5 and 8
Loop Attenuation of 27
We used to see around 17 on down and 1Mbps on the up with an SNR of 3.
Nothing has changed here at all and have checked all the cabling to be sure.
Uploading takes forever, Downloading is slower than it was.
I'm pretty sure this is related to the BT profile which I obtained again this morning through their wholesale speed tester further diagnostics link.
Their speed test shown 8.27 down 0.4 up (and a latency of zero which is not right at all). BT Profile 14.08 and 0.83
So I'm hoping someone can suggest the best way to get this resolved within PN.
Thanks in anticipation Smiley
91 REPLIES 91
JayG
Pro
Fixes: 6

Re: Stuck profile - what to do?

Sounds to me very much as if your power cuts resulted in interleaving being applied to your line - 888kbps is an upstream interleaved profile for ADSL2+, and it could also be affecting your downstream rate as well as your latency (although not by that much!)
If your router's stats show an FEC error count (i.e. other than zero) that will confirm that interleaving is on.
You may be lucky and find a member of CRT picks this up this morning, or you could try the 'live chat' facility via the Member Centre.
grahamn
Rising Star

Thanks Jay.
Interesting thought. Could I have had the 1Mbps upload with interleaving on, as I always thought I had interleaving on?
Hopefully someone from PN will pick this up today if I'm lucky, but may try the live chat as you suggest, it would be good to resolve this for sure.
Thanks,
Graham.
JayG
Pro
Fixes: 6

My best efforts to understand the difference between capped, banded, and merely 'profiled' upstream connection rates when interleaving was applied to my connection earlier this year have left me confused to this day, especially as when it came to trying to get it removed BT's systems showed interleaving was off at the time!  Shocked
I can't therefore advise you whether an upstream rate of 888kbps is always associated with upstream interleaving - IIRC it isn't in theory, but it is a figure I've seen regularly in threads on this board.
The good news is that my 'non-existent' interleaving was removed by PN using a work-around, and has stayed off ever since - hope you are able to achieve the same.  Wink
Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

grahamn
Rising Star

Trouble is Gel, the performance doesn't correlate even with the numbers. With the latency that kicks in, 2Mbps would actually be faster I think!
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Very simply the automated systems have made a number of changes one of which is to increase the default noise margin from 3dB to either 6dB or 9dB which is why the download speeds have dropped.
It should sort itself out in 3 or 4 weeks
Regarding interleaving - the earlier comment about interleaving being applied on the upstream is probably correct
Have you checked the Current Line Speed - see my sig for a link
grahamn
Rising Star

Hi Jim,
It's already been 3-4 weeks. Surely it won't take another 3-4 wks to sort itself as that would be two months?
Line speed shows no estimated and actual of 14 in the PN portal.
Interleaving - no idea what's going on there. Always had it switched on (as far as I know) and that was a 1 Mbps. Again, if it's changed, it was done without my knowledge.
Thanks.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Current line speed is corect
What you need is a line reset with the noise margin set to 3dB on downstream
I am not going to waste your time by suggesting Chat or Phone so it will need to be picked up here and that may not be until Monday
In the meantime I suggest changing the topic title to include something like
"Please reset my line "
This will make it more obvious for staff
(you need to select Edit not Quick Edit)
grahamn
Rising Star

Re: Please reset my line

Many thanks Jim - that's terrific and exactly the advice I needed.
I have changed title as you suggested and will sit tight for PN on Monday - hopefully  Smiley
Regards,
Graham.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Graham, if you can post the full stats - that's Uptime, Sync speed, Attenuation and Current SNRM and any Error figures, that might give a better indication as to what's going on here. SNRM variations of 5-8dB are a bit bigger than one would hope for on a line of your attenuation.
However, that said, a quick mention about the Upstream sync speed. 888kbps certainly indicated that interleaving is on, but the converse is not always true - Interleaving being on doesn't always mean the speed will be limited to 888kbps - this appears to be some sort of banded speed.
I've never tried to do an analysis as to whether this is related to particular makes of Line Card at the exchange, or indeed the hardware version - the latter information isn't readily available anyway. It doesn't seem to be related to specific modem/router chipsets for example, we've seen TG582n stats some with 888kbps and some where it's been higher with Interleaving on.  I'm not sure it's related to Interleaving depth either.
As far as the BT spoeedtester goes, currently for 21CN connections it always quotes the Upstream profile as 0.83Mbps, it doesn't quote it at all for 20CN connections and it quotes 20Mbps for FTTC - all whatever the actual profile is.
Those results you quoted are not good, suggesting a problem somewhere. Where those from this morning? If not at an off-peak time, then peaktime congestion may be a problem.
I would try to run the BTw Performance test (DON'T REBOOT, using an Ethernet connection, ignore the red preamble except make sure no other programs are using the Internet) and at the end of the first run, click the Further Diagnostics button, enter just your Phone number and Run the Further Diagnostics Test.
Do a Copy and Paste of the results and post here (no need to grab an image).
You could also try the TBB Tester and see what results that gives.
grahamn
Rising Star

Hi,
Yes, all the results posted are from this morning.
Additional stats: uptime 355h 21m. Rx CRC errors: 23526, Tx CRC errors: 0 Current SNR: 6
ADSL Mode: ADSL2+(G.992.5)
Re-running BTW tester just now gave: down:13.36  up: 0.7 and 44.75 latency
Further diagnostics:
Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.

Download  Speed
13.36 Mbps
0 Mbps 21 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed
Download speedachieved during the test was - 13.36 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 4 Mbps-21 Mbps.
IP Profile for your line is - 14.08 Mbps
2. Upstream Test:  -provides background information.
Upload Speed
0.7 Mbps
0 Mbps 0.83 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed
Upload speed achieved during the test was - 0.7Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 0.83 Mbps
We were unable to identify any performance problem with your service at this time.
It is possible that any problem you are currently, or had previously experienced may have been caused by traffic congestion on the Internet or by the server you were accessing responding slowly.
If you continue to encounter a problem with a specific server, please contact the administrator of that server in the first instance.

TBB Results:
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html?id=143480833407446753641
Anotherone
Champion

Some good consistency there on the test results, the previous ones must have been when there was some congestion, local perhaps?
Always worth re-running a test is you get an unexpected result. And if it's still an odd one, try a different time.
CRC errors are a bit high if the DS is interleaved, could do with Plusnet saying what the current full WBC Profile is to check that.
You say you've checked out the cabling. What do you have exactly?
Do you have a Master Socket similar to the one on the left?
Do all your Microfilters look similar to this?
Do you have any extension phone sockets, and what is normally plugged in where?
Can you hear/have you heard any crackling or other noises on the line when using the phone? Have you had any problems with incoming or outgoing calls? Try the Quiet Line Test 17070 option 2 if need be.
grahamn
Rising Star

Hi
Agree the CRC seems high.
The cabling is from an old fashioned white box (LJU) attached to incoming line from underground  (when the old GPO Tel block were replaced I guess - 1970 property). This master is connected to socket splitter, one end is an extension then a filter connected to the router, the other goes into a filter then the phone base station for 3 cordless phones. All of this has been in place for years, with no change.
The micro filters look like the ones you show in the link. (ADSL Nation Xe-1e)
There is only one other extension socket that is not used.
No problems with calls. There is very feint "rustling" noise on 17070 on the cordless phone...will check later with an old fashioned corded one Smiley EDIT: Corded phone quiet line test appears fine, both at master and extension.
Anotherone
Champion

OK just to be clear, you have a splitter plugged into the master socket and one port has a filter and the cordless plugged in, the other port has an extension lead and a filter on the end into which the modem/router is plugged?
There is also one hard-wired extension socket not in use?
OK I can see some potential problems which might stop you getting the best performance and making you vulnerable to interference.
If I've understood and described it correctly, is the extension lead going to the filter for the modem/router a flat or round cross-section?
Can you have a look inside the hard-wired unused extension socket and tell me the colour of the wires and which terminal numbers each is connected to?