Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please reset fibre connection

npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

Please reset fibre connection

My Plusnet fibre speed has never been good but it's deteriorated further over the past few month, it's now down to
17999 kbps download
491 kbps upload.
Is it possible for Plusnet get my connection reset at the BT end.
26 REPLIES 26
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Re: Please reset fibre connection

Hi there
Unfortunately we don't have the option to do this at the moment i'm afraid.
Any DLM resets can only be carried out by a Openreach engineer
If you can run through our troubleshooter at http://faults.plus.net we can find out why the speeds have dropped and get this looked into for you
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
npr
Pro

Thanks Matthew, this line has a long standing fault, which after numerous visits BT have proved themselves incapable of correcting.
All I ask is for plusnet to request BT to reset the connecting.
npr
Pro

My upstream speed has started creeping back up, it's now 800 kbps but the downstream is staying stubbornly at 17999 kbps. I assume I've been placed on a banded profile.
Again:
Is it possible for Plusnet get my connection reset at the BT end?
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

It's something we'd need to go through the Faults process to arrange.
If you could raise a fault at http://faults.plus.net we can then raise this over to ur suppliers and put the request through for you.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

@npr,
17M on fibre - you out in the distant sticks of somewhere?  That's little better than decent ADSL!  Crazy
I suspect that you are living proof of the point I have been trying to make to a local Parish Council - do not be conned by these super-fast broadband programmes if the local d-side infrastructure is decrepit, then you are not going to get super-fast broadband unless they rip out and replace the d-side as well... which we all know is not happening.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

npr
Pro

Thanks Chris, but Plusnets fault finder is not helpful as I can not answer question 5. --- the connection does not drop see answer 1)

1) What's the problem?  My Broadband is slow
2) Is the problem permanent or intermittent?  Permanent
3) Please reboot your modem, router and computer. Does this fix the problem?  NO
4) Did bypassing your router and performing the dial test fix the problem?  NO
5) Do you lose connection at specific times?
My connection drops randomly
My connection drops at regular times
Angry
npr
Pro

Quote from: Townman
That's little better than decent ADSL!  Crazy

It's worse, I had a better upstream with my old O2 adsl connection.
The main problem is aluminium D side but it should still be better than this.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

Quote from: npr
The main problem is aluminium D side

I rest my case m'Lud the supplier's sub-contractor's infrastructure is not capable of delivering super-fast broadband as claimed... indeed the industry does not recommend this even for the predecessor ADSL service.
No chance of it being replaced with decent gauge copper?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

npr
Pro

No chance of it being replaced.
Judging from the dozen or so BT visits I've had, I believe training is a bigger issue than old infrastructure.  Undecided
LinnPlusnet
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi npr,
Thank you for completing the troubleshooter.
I can confirm that your fault has been logged on Ticket: 84617849
Our Faults team will be in touch shortly once this has been raised to our suppliers.
AndyH
Grafter

Something I've wondered before - but if you make a request to change DLM profiles (there are three: Standard, Stable and Superstable), does this trigger a DLM reset?
deathtrap
Grafter

A change in the DLM profile would most likely cause a reset, it seems  only logical that it would, and such a profile change probably wouldn't  be chargeable to the ISP , so shouldn't involve a any re contracting, Switching between the 40/10 and 80/20  certainly causes a reset, of the dlm that has been confirmed by someone  
LinnPlusnet
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

AndyH,
It's not something we're definite on. If we're given confirmation that this is the case then we'll certainly let you know Smiley
AndyH
Grafter

It would be interesting to see if it does work (as I said on the other thread, it could be a bit of a cheat to remove interleaving). I thought that ISPs were to be given more control at some point over removing interleaving on FTTC?
I read that Sky are soon going to be allowing users on their new fibre pro package to select their DLM profile (though from what Chris said before, there's little noticeable difference between the three):
Line profile customisation
Coming Soon: Change your line profile for speed or reliability with either Sky Broadband Pro product. Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro even has a gaming mode, so you can enhance your gaming experience too.