cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please reset IP Profile

jbrumhead
Grafter

Please reset IP Profile

Hello! Over the past couple of weeks I have noticed that my broadband speed has dropped although my connection to the exchange is still at it's usual levels (7,264 kbps). I used to get about 6.8Mbits but it dropped down to 5mbps a couple of months ago then returned to 6mbps+ after an IP profile reset. Please could you reset the IP profile again for me? Also, why does the speed keep reducing after time has passed? This didn't happen to me last year. A couple of month ago Chris said my line quality is showing as red with a low MTBE on the downstream. Is this still the case?
10 REPLIES 10
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Re: Please reset IP Profile

Jonathan,
From your previous thread...
Quote from: Chris
I can try and do a reset on your line but the likelihood is that it'll end back where we are 😕
The Line Card is what a number of customers are connected to. It was likely faulty - I don't have any further information on that unfortunately.
We'll try and get you the best possible speeds, if the microfilter change doesn't help, we can then see what the connection is like in your Test Socket for a day or so?
http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/master-socket-guide.shtml#whatsTest

You seem to be in exactly the same position as you were in the post prior to that one...
Quote from: JonathanB
Hello! Over the past couple of weeks I have noticed that my broadband speed has dropped although my connection to the exchange is still at it's usual levels (7,456 kbps). I usually get about 6.8Mbits but it has dropped to nearer 5 now. Please could you reset the IP profile for me?
Another query... My upload speed is maxed at 0.37mbits as I am on an old ADSL1 exchange. My friend reckons if I take business broadband this should support 0.7mbits. I don't believe this is true as the exchange is not 21CN. Am I right?

Resetting the SNRM is not going to get you anywhere.  There is an underlying problem which needs to be fully investigated.  Have you tried connecting to the test socket as requested by Chris in the first quote above?  Until that has been done, this issue is not going to move forward very quickly.  Can you please gather all of the information requested in the speed issues topic at the top of this forum.
Hope fully this might give some clues.  Is the phone line quiet - this needs to be checked periodically.
We might need to consider running RouterStats to gather more information.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jbrumhead
Grafter

Well I didn't need to try the test socket because the problem resolved itself?! I am now 2 months down the line so original issue may not apply. Phone line isn't quiet and not experiencing any problems with that.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Can you please clarify your reply; if the phone line isn't quiet, it needs fixing.
Clearly the problem has not resolved itself - it has all the hallmarks of an intermittent line fault.  The SNRM rising is a symptom of the issue, not the cause.
Regardless, can you please post the requested information.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jbrumhead
Grafter

Unless I have misunderstood you, the phone line appears normal. in other words not too quiet to hear and not too loud (ie the db has not been turned up on my line)
DSL Modem Info
Uptime: 1 day, 15:18:20
DSL Type: ITU-T G.992.1
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 448 / 7.264
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/GB]: 249,13 / 1,99
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12,2 / 20,0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 21,5 / 39,0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 20,0 / 9,9
System Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / ----
Chipset Vendor ID (Local/Remote): BDCM / TSTC
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / -
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / -
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / -
Loss of Link (Remote): -
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 336 / -
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 9 / 443.896
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 10 / 608
HEC Errors (Up/Down): -0 / 608 / 10.246
BT Wholesale Reults
Results Image not loaded
1. Best Effort Test:
Download Speed : 5.45 Mbps

Your speed test has completed and the results are shown above, however during the test an error occurred while trying to retrieve additional details regarding your service. As a result we are unable to determine if the speed you received during the test is acceptable for your service. Please re-run the test if you require this additional information.
Current line speed:
6 Mb
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Hi Jonathan,
You might have completely misunderstood me.  I was referring to audible noise on the phone line - dial 17970 option 2.
These stats make things a lot clearer - you are on ADSL (1) so the expected synch speed for your line's attenuation is 7.1Mbps and you are currently synch'd faster than that at 7.26Mbos.  The PlusNET reported data speed is correct for that speed.  To go up to the next profile 6.5Mbps) the synch rate would need to rise to 7392kbps.
Your line is doing better than the normal expectations for a line of the reported attenuation.  I cannot tell if the SNRM of 9dB is simply reporting available headroom which cannot be used or is indicating that for some other reason the DLM is managing the SNRM to maintain the stability of the line.
The failure of the BT speed test to report the line's profile is not ideal.
This issue needs some line status data from PN.
Kevin

jbrumhead
Grafter

Thanks Kevin. Please can you explain the line attenuation to me? I'm quite technical but I don't know much about this. What would it look like if i lived nearer the exchange? I'm approx 2 miles away so is it right that I should be getting 6mbps or is that better than expected? Estimated speeds on BT's website have always said 3mb. I have had sync rates above 7392kbps before so i've experience download speeds in excess of 6.5mbps, hence the reason for my post.
How much is it to dial that number btw? There seems to be no info on that number on any website after briefly googling.
GeordieMark
Grafter

I think Kevin meant 17070 Wink and it's free.
jbrumhead
Grafter

Ahh well i've tried it and there was no noise that I could hear on the line. What next? No one from Plusnet has responded to this thread yet...
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

@Mark_,
Thank you fir correcting my typo.

@Jonathan,
Sorry about the mistyped number.
Attenuation can be best thought of as the electrical length of the phone line.  It is governed by the physical length of the line, the guage of the wires, the material of the wires (copper or aluminium) and the quality of the line joints. There are rules of thumb for these variables which enable physical length to be implied from the attenuation figure.  Your 39dB implies a length of 2.8km which is as near as dam it 2 miles. If you were closer to the exchange, the attenuation should be lower and synch speed higher.  Cheesy
It is the attenuation which offers an expectation of what a good line of that length should do, again using some rules of thumb, when the SNRM is 6dB.  For your line that indicative figure is 7.1Mbps.  You are getting more than this.  It is quite common for this to be the case, but this has to be thought of as "cream on top" and not to be expected or assured.
Data speed (you mention 6 and 6.5Mbps) is a fraction of synch speed - see here http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/speed_guide/broadband_terminology.shtml#ipProfile - to have attained a data speed greater than 6.5Mbps (7 is the next band) your synch speed would needed to have been 7.968Mbps which is markedly higher than you have but might have been attainable with the difference between a SNRM of 9dB and 6dB.
If this is the case, we need to find out why the SNRM is being moved around.
BT line speed estimates are always poor so that the performance has to be really bad before they are obliged to physically fix it.  For example, in your situation they could push the SNRM to 12 / 15 / 18 dB to ensure line stability (with corresponding loss in synch) yet still be within the line's estimate.
Note on marginal lines, pushing for more raw synch speed can be self defeating; faster synch can elevate error rates.  Higher error rates lead to more retransmissions and time spent processing error corrections - this has the effect if slowing down end to end data transmission speeds.  The exchange has no buffering so any retransmission request has to go further up the line.
We need CRT's view on your line.
Kevin

jbrumhead
Grafter

Thanks for the explanations. The most I have had on my line is 6.87mbps. This lasted for the best part of a year but no longer seems possible. I've seen my router connect at the max sync speed before but not sure how since I don't live next door to the exchange. Hopefully someone from PN will see this thread and respond to the posts so I can figure out what is wrong with my line.
On a separate topic, do PN offer a similar product to BT's 'unlimited faster broadband'? This is for customers who's cab has been activated for fibre but live too far away to get it. BT then offer a different product that still uses the fibre connection instead of standard ADSL. You need a minimum of 2mbps estimate though