cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please increase my SNR?

EdwardCrabtree

Please increase my SNR?

Hi Guys,
Just wondering if you could PLEASE try and increase my SNR? It's trundling along at around 6dB and I think it's causing issues with my router which will only connect on g.dmt. I note 12dB seems to be standard on the forums? Could we try and get it up to atleast that and see if it helps?
Thanks,
Edward
5 REPLIES 5
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Re: Please increase my SNR?

Hi Edward,
Welcome to the forums.  I rather think you have got the wrong end of the stick, 6dB is OK, 12dB would be bad!  Cheesy
What problem do you think you have?  If you can clearly advise what you think is wrong, we will point you to the right solution - raising the SNRM is virtually never the right solution!
If you have speed issues, go look at the speed issues thread in this forum and gather all of the requested information.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Only being able to connect as g.dmt (ADSL1) suggests:

• Your exchange is 20CN and so is only capable of ADSL1; or

• You are a long way from your exchange so Plusnet decided to set your line to ADSL1 only

You can check what's available at your exchange here: https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

I think there's something wrong with your line TBH, I'd suggest checking through the faults troubleshooter here: https://faults.plus.net
With an attenuation of 30db I would expect you to be able to get much faster speeds than you're currently seeing.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
EdwardCrabtree

Hi Guys,
Many thanks for the replies... Guess I should have provided MUCH more context! Have been using a Belkin n150 router but the wireless is dying and started to get significant packet loss... Spoke to plusnet who said could I try a different filter, different router... So thought I'd upgrade to an Asus DSL-N66U.
The Belkin was connecting fine on ADSL2+ getting 13 down and 1.1 up, just with some errors. The DSL-N66U won't connect on ADSL2 or 2+ so I have dropped it to g.dmt where it maxes out.
So, I'm trying to think what could be done to get the router on to the higher modulation.
I connected it up to a friend on the same exchanged using sky and it worked fine. So, trying to figure out what's going on with my line.
Edward
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Quote from: Chris
I think there's something wrong with your line TBH, I'd suggest checking through the faults troubleshooter here: https://faults.plus.net
With an attenuation of 30db I would expect you to be able to get much faster speeds than you're currently seeing.

Please follow the trouble shooter so that your line can be assessed.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.