Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please help with speed problem....

godsell4
Rising Star

Re: Please help with speed problem....

Quote from: crossfancy
...  for the last few weeks and it can usually see 1800+ but when I go online the next day and check again it's back down ... I'd been assuming this was BT resetting something overnight.

Your line, and almost all ADSL lines get a lot of electrical noise on your line at night, the router drops the line because it is too noisey, a few seconds later it then trys to reconnect and in the prescense of the noise it can not go very quick so it connects at a lower speed, this is what you find when you check the next day.
Have you done a quiet line test?
regards,
SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

If you don't use the connection, turn the router off overnight and back on in the morning.
Conditions are usually good in the morning.
crossfancy
Grafter

Thanks I'll turn the router off when it's not in use and will put it back through the master socket again tomorrow and see what the stats are like. Just run another test and the connection speed is back down to 900, so something is definately slowing it down in the evenings.
crossfancy
Grafter

Good morning, sorry for the delay in responding I've been away for a couple of days. Here's an update:
My router has been plugged into the master socket for 3 days and was seeing 2500, the highest speed I've seen on this line. The line profile appears to have been reset to 2000 last night but the actual throughput speed is still only 500.
Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.
    Your DSL connection rate: 2464 kbps(DOWN-STREAM),  448 kbps(UP-STREAM)
    IP profile for your line is - 2000 kbps
    Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 422 kbps
ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 2464 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation 61 db 15.5 db
Noise Margin 12 db 13 db
Please could you let me know if I need to do anything to start picking up a higher throughput speed?
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Your DS Line attenuation has got worse by 3dB since you first stats, your 2nd stats showed 2dB worse. You need to do these checks plugged into the test socket not the front of the master socket so that any extension wiring is disconnected. (Do you have a Master LineBox, the one with the removeable lower front plate?). I see you already tried another filter but if you are using a cordless phone you need to use a corded one to be sure we have no interference problems.
You need to find out if this is a line/exchange problem or your router playing up. Your US noise margin is also a bit lower than one would expect, so it'll be worth trying to eliminate line problems first.
With these symptoms, I would expect the possibilty of noise on the phone line. Can you hear any crackling or similar noises when making phone calls? If so, unplug the router, does the situation change?
If you have got noise you need to contact your line rental provider, ideally whilst the noise is evident so they can log it also log it's intermittent if it is. Do not mention broadband otherwise you might get the run around.
Edit: DS=downstream US=upstream.
Regards.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Hi crossfancy,
Looks like our system hadn't picked up the new IP profile from BT yet, I've given it a kick in the right direction. Can you reboot your modem/router and try a speedtest again please.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
crossfancy
Grafter

Thank you to all for helping me on this, I've now got my 2000k throughput speed back.
Still plugged into the test socket, so will see what happens when I go back to the normal socket.
Thanks again
Simon
crossfancy
Grafter

Hi All,
Sorry I'm back again. I've not changed anything and have remained plugged into the test socket since my last post and my speed has continued to be all over the place. Some days it's 2000k, others 1000k and today it's back down to 600k, with the line profile at 750k.
Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.
    Your DSL connection rate: 2496 kbps(DOWN-STREAM),  448 kbps(UP-STREAM)
    IP profile for your line is - 750 kbps
    Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 676 kbps

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 2496 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation 58 db 15.5 db
Noise Margin 12 db 13 db
There appears to be absolutely no pattern to it. Does this sound like a BT line fault that I should call them out for?
Thanks and best regards
Simon