cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please help me with Usenet.

Absynth
Dabbler

Please help me with Usenet.

Hi i have plusnet unlimited package and am having trouble with file download speeds using Grabit or NewsBin for Giganews.
My current download rate is 11Kb/s, which is awful. Does Plusnet impose bandwidth limit for usenet or something. Im failry new to the usenet thing and am not sure if this is normal or not.
Speed  test is 6.5Mb/s Down 0.38 Up

Link Information

Uptime: 0 days, 1:38:18
DSL Type: G.992.1 annex A
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 448 / 8,128
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/kB]: 0.00 / 0.00
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 11.5 / 19.5
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 12.0 / 19.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 26.0 / 10.5
Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / TSTC

Any clues on whats going on? any help would be appreciated greatley Cheesy
16 REPLIES 16
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Re: Please help me with Usenet.

http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/speed_guide/download_speeds.shtml
http://www.kitz.co.uk/isp/plusnet_shaping.htm
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Absynth
Dabbler

Thanks for the fast reply, but i cant see how that answers my current 11Kb/s speed.. Im aware of the peak/off peak speed limits.. but im still no where near those.
edit: I also noticed my unlimited package is no longer listed, what would it count as now?
pierre_pierre
Grafter

no, heritage packages keep the same as when they were live.
Dont forget Binary download speed are the max, in busy times they take a back seat.  The only package that lets binary at full speed is the Pro one, but peak limit is only 20 G
Absynth
Dabbler

Binary download speeds? Heritage? Sorry for my ignorance.. but i dont understand anything you just said.
You are saying that my broadband package is no longer what it was when i started?
pierre_pierre
Grafter

heritage, means history, i.e. not in current use.  The unlimited  is no longer avalable so it is heritage.
But all is original conditions are still active.
Generally News down loads are in Binary files, You said you have trouble with Giganews, that is probably binary and hence extra restricted
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

The page you need to look at for unlimited is http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/products/archive/unlimited-experience.shtml
The rates quoted on the that page and Kitz's page are in bits per second. For 8pm to 10pm on unlimited the speed given for Binary Usenet is 128Kbps; that is the maximum speed you can expect to see - if the network is busy it will be a bit lower.
Quote from: Absynth
My current download rate is 11Kb/s

I'm 99.99% certain that the speed you were seeing was not 11Kb/s but was in fact 11KB/s because like almost every other Usenet downloader package I'm sure Grabit will report Bytes per second.
The expected speed of 128Kbps is 16KB/s, so the speed you are seeing is not far off that specified for your product.
If you want to see downloads near your line speed at all times of the day you will need to switch to the Pro product.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Absynth
Dabbler

Ok thanks, that was more clear..
So if i switched to Pro i loose my unlimited downloads.. What happens if i go over 20 gig a month? Service is halted? Im charged data rates?? Because im paying the same money for my current package.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

£5 in 5GB lumps or 128kbps restricted
Absynth
Dabbler

Man... im missing my fibre optic from virgin.. Stupid countryside.. Sad
My job involves me downloading large files (usually over a gig a time).. We were using P2P to transfer as it seemed the all round fastest, but now my speeds have dropped so much i thought Usenet would fix that. But thats even worse.. i cant switch to Pro because id destroy that 20GB limit in about a week or two...
So i cant have best of both worlds, unlimited and un-restricted.. I was given the option of a private line by my work place.. but turned it down like a idiot because it was only a 2mg line...
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Can you schedule the transfers for overnight (midnight to 8am)? That doesn't count against your allowance.
For best speed I'd go for FTP if you can get the office to set up an FTP server.
Re a private line: what upload speed was that going to give you? If your exchange is not 21CN WBC enabled the best upload speed you will get will be 448kbps unless you pay an extra £7.83 per month for Max Premium which will give you up to 832kbps upload (see Max Premium from this page).
Absynth
Dabbler

Yes i can do them over night, but lately ive noticed no speed up in rates after midnight... so it makes no difference.
Im not sure what the upload rate i was offered on the private line now, it was last year.
The FTP thing is the next step.. its just taking my work a long time to realise the magics of Dropbox.. kinda backwards i know.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Another option might be for the office to have a permanently on PC exclusively for your use. Set up a VPN connection to the office and then Remote Desktop in to that PC and do your work on that. That way you wouldn't have to download the files. I use that setup every day and it uses only a few GB per month (my monthly usage rarely goes above 8GB).
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Quote from: Absynth
Yes i can do them over night, but lately ive noticed no speed up in rates after midnight... so it makes no difference.

How soon after midnight were you checking the speeds? Loads of people kick off their downloads at midnight to use the free downloads and the network gets very busy. An hour or so later when most have finished speeds pick up dramatically.
The other thing is that if by using the overnight downloads you can keep below 20GB you could afford to switch to Pro.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Actually, if you switched to Pro and you were paying an extra £10-£20 per month I bet that would still be cheaper than a private line. Could you not get work to pay the extra?