cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please help! TP-Link TD-W8980 Modem/router config nightmare

NontechPF

Cry I'm not a very happy Plusnet customer tonight. My Technicolour router packed up last week. I was advised by phone that I needed a new router. I elected to avoid getting another Plusnet provided router, as they are not reliable and would take 5 days to arrive. The nice chap on the other end of the line gave me lots of advice on what I would need plus the brand names of 3 makes of router that are reliable. What he failed to tell me that these products are not supported. I duly bought the TP-Link for £70 and have spent hours this last weekend on the phone to Plusnet to no avail, beyond having established that the modem still works if you plug my laptop in to it directly. As a parent of a child with special needs and on a tight budget, I am really regretting my initial decision!
What I really need is someone to walk me through the install process. I’ve tried doing it multiple times now, firstly with telephone support from Plusnet, to no avail. I’ve tried plugging the ADSL connector into the device and configuring it as a modem and router and I’ve also tried setting it up as just as a router, by connecting the BT Openreach modem into the WAN/LAN socket (obviously with the ADSL socket still connected to the BT modem. I’ve searched this forum and tried a couple more things tonight, to no effect.
I would really appreciate some extra help, either from the Plusnet team or a friendly expert Plusnet user! The TP-Link customer support service is hopeless – I would not recommend their equipment to people who lack a deep understanding of the technical issues.
Thanks in advance...
Paul F
10 REPLIES 10
Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 9

Re: Please help! TP-Link TD-W8980 Modem/router config nightmare

If you do not succeed here, there is a TP Link Forum http://forum.tp-link.com/
Another good forum for matters internet, ADSL, and fibre is Kitz http://forum.kitz.co.uk/
No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

IIRC  there is a setting somewhere to force the 8980 to use the Ewan port. I'm away from home at the moment on a 3g connection so finding more details is a bit difficult but i'm sure there are previous threads here about it

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

delaneya
Grafter

I have a  TD-W8960N I wonder if the setup is similar.
I set it up so it works with the BT open reach modem.
For anyone else interested this is what I did
1) delete old WAN Service and ATM interface
2) enable virtual ports that's located in Lan Ports
3)Create new ETH WAN Interface located in layer 2 interface
4)Create new WAN service

Settings are
a)  PPP over Ethernet (PPPoE)
b) put in PPP username and password
c) put in PPPoE service name I just used plusNET dont think it does anything
c) select new WAN interface
NontechPF

Lips_are_sealed Thanks very much for this advice, I will try your suggestions tonight and post an update on progress. I took a couple of screenshots (attached to this post) that may cast some additional light on the problem, - Paul
NontechPF

Undecided Still no luck, but will try the TP-Link forum as well. Must say I was expecting a member of Plusnet staff to provide some support - where's that good customer service they promote in the TV ads???
I've uploaded some screenshots taken last night in the hope these might help. I have also upgraded the modem/router's firmware in the hope that that would help. The upgrade went OK, but made no difference.
Beginning to despair...
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Hi,
Sorry we've managed to miss your post.
From the very last screenshot that you've provided, it shows that connection to your ISP (Plusnet) has been established.
Would you be able to put our DNS Servers into the router?
Details on this and the settings required can be found here http://www.plus.net/support/customer_service/using/settings.shtml
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

The Plusnet DNS is showing in the first screen-shot. Might it be because the OP has IPv6 enabled?
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Ah yes - I missed that!
It very well could be, might be worth trying again without that ticked.
NontechPF

Dear Chris and Jaggies - thank you for your suggestions, I will give them a try and report back. - Paul
NontechPF

Cheesy Dear Chris and Jaggie - success! One day I will sit down and try to understand why what you both suggested has worked…but for now I am very grateful for your assistance - thank you! - Paul