Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please help! Router authentication issue for new customer

daivdw12
Dabbler

Please help! Router authentication issue for new customer

HI, 

I am a new customer and since having had my services activated on the 2nd, my broadband hasnt worked. We have had two routers sent out and with both we have been asked to go to the router settings page (192.164.etc) and login using plusnet username and password. Everytime we put in the password it tells us the username and password is incorrect and refuses to connect. The internet light on the router stays resolutely red. The username and password has been checked and rechecked and the password has been changed several times too. The faults team have blamed BT, BT have been out and checked the line and have said there is no fault whatsover on the line and that its Plusnets issue. Plusnet seem to just be bouncing responsibility for the fault anywhere else and are not telling what if anything they are doing to rectify the fault. My wife and I are at a loss as for what to do, we both work from home and are losing revenue without internet.

Please please if anyone has had this issue previously and it has been fixed please let me know how so i can point plusnet in the right direction! 

Dave

37 REPLIES 37
MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

Re: Please help! Router authentication issue for new customer

Hi @daivdw12  and welcome to the Forums.

Potentially one of two problems:

1. Plusnet has not got your details set up correctly on their Radius server.
  2. BT has not got your circuit set up correctly and your circuit is pointing at the wrong ISP.

As you have already been through to support and tried two new Routers I'd believe that support has already checked option 1]?

Option 2] does occur occaisionally due to BT engineering errors.  Either way it is a Plusnet responsibilty to resolve the problem.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

daivdw12
Dabbler

Ah ok that seems to make sense. The problem I had is that no one from plusnet or the Bt engineer who was at mine this morning explained that any of these options could be the issue. It’s gone back to the faults team for the third time now. I’m assuming it’s not something that can be remedied on my end then?
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Can you log in to the Plusnet Member Centre using your user name and password? If so then these are correct and the only other thing you could be doing wrong is not adding @plusdsl.net when inputting your username into the router. I'm sorry if you've already jumped throgh theses steps.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

daivdw12
Dabbler

I can log into the member centre fine using my details. Sadly I am already adding the plusdsl ending to my username. This is why it’s so frustrating Thank you anyway!
Manny7860
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Who was your previous isp? Is your contract termination up with them?
Excellent!
daivdw12
Dabbler

Previous isp was bt and the contract was indeed terminated with them, plusnet handled all of that and I had written notification of the termination.
Manny7860
Aspiring Pro

Hi @bobpullen normaly sorts out router issues let's see if he picks this up.
Excellent!
MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

@Manny7860 wrote:
Hi @bobpullen normaly sorts out router issues let's see if he picks this up.

@bobpullen Is not normally active in first line support and will only become involved in more complex issues. 

If as in @Baldrick1's post you can successfully login to the member centre, and you are sure that you have entered the Username / password correctly into the router then it begins to look more like a  BT circuit problem?  The agents should be able to monitor your failed attempts to login if the circuit is correct?

@Gandalf  Any input on this?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

harrow
Rising Star

Have you tried using your old bt router with bt standard configuration,

in case you are still connected to bt ?

It's worth a try....

PN, where did it all go wrong ?
Manny7860
Aspiring Pro

@harrow read post 7
Excellent!
daivdw12
Dabbler

It went to the faults teams three days ago and I still haven’t heard a peep from them. I don’t know whether to try and contact openreach direct or whether to try another repetitive conversation with plusnet.
Manny7860
Aspiring Pro

Fat chance. Openreach don't and wont communicate with the public. Only isp's can communicate with them. You need to contact Plusnet and chase it up.
Excellent!
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@daivdw12 wrote:

My wife and I are at a loss as for what to do, we both work from home and are losing revenue without internet.

I hope that this is sorted quickly for you. However if your income depends on high availability broadband with enhanced customer service then you may be better off paying the extra for the business product rather than this cheaper consumer product or alternatively moving to one of the more expensive providers such as AAISP.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Welcome to the community forums @daivdw12

I'm sorry to see your transfer hasn't gone to plan

It looks like we'll potentially need to arrange an engineer visit to further investigate the Openreach network.

Before we do that, there's one/two last things I'd like you to try.

Can you login to your router settings at http://192.68.1.254 changing the username and password to the below before pressing the connect button?

Username: bt_test@startup_domain
Password: testing

If this works, please can you try the below details?

Username: bt_test_user@plusdsl.net
Password: testing

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet