cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please help! Ongoing issues since switching from SKY

Garpov
Dabbler

Please help! Ongoing issues since switching from SKY

Hi, I switched from SKY 10 days ago. I've been having ongoing issues on all devices. Just as a note - Desktop PC, Smart TV and SKY box were all tested using ethernet connection, Macbook and Mobile phone on wireless.
All test results below were conducted on ethernet connection, wireless adaptor was disabled. Only the router was plugged into the phone socket, no phone.
Desktop PC - I'm having a problem where most websites load very slowly and some do not load at all. I'm noticing a lot of "waiting for Amazon.co.uk" for instance whereas on SKY the page would load so fast you didn't notice these messages. Also I'm having problems with my Virus/Spyware software updating their databases. Some such as Kaspersky take several attempts to update, then do so very slowly, others such as Malwarebytes and Emsisoft say they can't connect.
Macbook - Similar to desktop PC in that websites are slow to load or don't load at all.
Smart TV - Apps either don't work at all (Netflix) or take several attempts to connect and play content (iPlayer, ITV & C4 catchup)
SKY TV Box - Takes several attempts to get search to work, sometimes On-Demand and catch up content doesn't appear as if not connected.
Mobile Phone - Connection is intermittent, takes several attempts to send WhatsApp pictures for instance, sometimes i'll have come home from work and it will take 20mins before a message is received on the phone despite it being sent much earlier.
I was still using SKY broadband on the day of the switch over and wasn't experiencing any of these problems. As soon as i switched I have been experiencing all of the above problems from that moment until now.
Any help would be greatly appreciated as my journey so far with Plusnet has been a miserable and frustrating one.
Router Stats:
1 - Product name: Plusnet Router
2 - Serial number: N7150231B012692
3 - Firmware version: 7.273.1_F2704N_Plusnet
4 - Board version: F@ST2704N
5 - Mode ADSL
6 - Uptime: 3 days 15:33:55
7 - Data rate: 1263/24120
8 - Maximum data rate: 1276/23968
9 - Noise margin: 6.9/3.4
10 - Line attenuation: 5.9/13.0
12 - Data sent/received: 868.5M/3.5G
20 - Broadband username:
21 - Wi-Fi network/SSID:
22 - Wi-Fi connections: Enable(802.11 b/g/n(up to 144 Mb/s))20 MHz WPS enabled
23 - Wi-Fi security: WPA2
24 - Wi-Fi channel: Automatic (Smart Wireless)
25 - Firewall: Default
26 - MAC Address: 44:e9:dd:a0:d3:d3
27 - Software variant Version 1.0
28 - Boot loader: 7.273.1
BT Speed Test:
1. Best Effort Test: -provides background information.
Download  Speed
20.15 Mbps

0 Mbps 21 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed
Download speedachieved during the test was - 20.15 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 4 Mbps-21 Mbps.
IP Profile for your line is - 21.28 Mbps
2. Upstream Test: -provides background information.
Upload Speed
1.07 Mbps

0 Mbps 0.83 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed
Upload speed achieved during the test was - 1.07Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 0.83 Mbps
Current Line Speed  (Plusnet Portal) : 21mbps
17 REPLIES 17
Marksfish
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: Please help! Ongoing issues since switching from SKY

I sometimes have issues where a page will part load, fail and refresh (on fibre and also came from Sky). I had the TG582N router though and it was suggested that a) I tried to use Google DNS instead of PN as there are some issues apparently (sometimes) and b) is it failing with a ip address? There was something about the router spoofing addresses, but I can't find the thread at the moment.
Mark
Marksfish
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

Garpov
Dabbler

Hi Markfish, thanks for the reply. I tried using Google DNS (i assume you just have to change setting in router preferences?), but didn't help.
Unfortunately the thread you linked to is a bit on the technical side for me, I'm not sure what to take out of it.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Hi Garpov,
Ignore the Spoofing thread, it won't help with your issue. Yes it is quite technical and most of it is more of theoretical interest as we haven't found a useful purpose for it, and turning spoofing off makes no difference, but in any event it doesn't apply to the 2704n.
If you've set Google DNS in the 2704n and found it makes no difference, there is definitely something odd going on.
Can you try setting Alternate DNS up on your PC and see if that makes any difference to the PC at all?
Does this problem occur at any specific times of day or is it all the time?
Can you check which Gateway you are on as well.
I take it your Current Line speed (Login required) at the Portal (Member Centre) is still 21Mbps?
I'm suspecting this is likely to be some sort of network issue that has cropped up.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Those line stats are excellent, so we need to look elsewhere.
A TBB BQM would be useful to see if there is exchange congestion.  Do you notice this at particular times of day?  The router stats suggest that you are downloading over 1GB per day.  Does this tie-in with your expectations?  If not you might have some rogue software running.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Garpov
Dabbler

Hi, just spent 40mins on phone with customer service, they seem at a loss to explain the issue. They are sending out a new router to rule that out.
Anotherone : I am on pcl-bng01 gateway.
The problem occurs at all times of day and night since I've switched.
My current line speed is still 21 Mbps.
1GB per day sounds about right, I've dowloaded a fair amount of HD catchup TV through SKY box.
Something odd I've noticed, when logged into the router under basic settings - broadband, my broadband password only shows 6 dots representing characters, but my password is 14 characters, is this relevant?
Also the BT speedtest i did says:
Upload speed achieved during the test was - 1.07Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 0.83 Mbps
So i achieved a speed higher than the IP profile, is this significant?
Anotherone
Champion

Ha. The BTw tester always reports the US Profile as 0.83 on 21CN, you can ignore that one.
I've noted that after you put in a password on the 2704n and then come back it shows a limited number of dots - didn't actually count them. You can ignore that as well, it's not a fault, I've seem similar elsewhere with passwords on some logins around the net.
Did Customer Service check that your package profile was correct for the one you are on?
Here is a good place to quickly check whether what you get in practise coincides with the table.
Edit: Info on this page as well.
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 18

I've checked the account profiling and this all appears to be correct. I'll do a line test and post back if I see anything significant.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 18

Seeing your upstream profile first sort of scared me - but actually everything appears to be ok. I hope the new router sorts it out for you.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
rmaharaj

Also a new customer - just moved from Sky as well. Having the same issues.
I still have the Sky microfilter on my home phone (which all worked fine with sky). Are sky microfilters any different from Plusnet ones? Could that be the issue?
Everyone seems confused as to what the issue is! A BT engineer is coming to look at the line tomorrow, but that's not the problem - it was working fine before switching to PN - and it's a new build flat so unlikely to be wiring.
Did the new router sort out the OP's issues?
Anotherone
Champion

A Sky microfillter should be fine, assuming it looks similar to this?
rmaharaj

Yes it does - I'll try swapping it with a plusnet one, or just disconnecting the phone line - but my suspicion is that won't help at all.
Quote from: Anotherone
A Sky microfillter should be fine, assuming it looks similar to this?
rmaharaj

Update - I've tried another plusnet router and the problem seems to have gone away. It seems like it was a faulty router.
dick:quote
Garpov
Dabbler

Good to hear rmaharaj, glad you are sorted out.
When you say another plusnet router do you mean a different model or the same model just a different router?