cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please excuse cross posting. Game problem: Router log enclosed

Razer
Grafter

Please excuse cross posting. Game problem: Router log enclosed

Please excuse cross posting, I really don't like to do so, but I think after some help from Kelly, I need to post my router stats here. For your reference, and to save me much repeating of myself, please see why I'm posting them here:
AC:Brotherhood Multiplayer - Searching Abstergo Agents ... endlessly.
My current router stats are:
Uptime: 0 days, 2:18:35
DSL Type: ITU-T G.992.5
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 1.231 / 23.057
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/MB]: 2,85 / 15,72
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12,2 / 0,0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 8,5 / 16,5
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 6,2 / 3,1
System Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / ----
Chipset Vendor ID (Local/Remote): BDCM / IFTN
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): -
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 31 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 32
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 319
If any of you guys can also shed any light on the problems I seem to be having with my router in relation to the router log I posted in the linked thread and still seeing firewall errors despite disabling the firewall, enabling ping and enabling gaming mode, I would be very grateful for any help and education.
51 REPLIES 51
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Re: Please excuse cross posting. Game problem: Router log enclosed

Hi,
Your stats in general look fine, I've tested your line and it shows you are having a few errors on your line. Do you have an alternative router you can try?
Razer
Grafter

Hi Chris,
No, I don't have any other routers. I'm also having trouble with this PN one as it keeps forgetting settings (Game Mode, Firewall & Ping). I've just reset it today to see if that fixes that particular problem.
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I've replied to your other thread, let me know how you get on.
Razer
Grafter

I replied to you in the other thread. I think I need to post to this one as problems with my router continue and it looks like the gaming section doesn't get much attention.
As I asked in the other thread two days ago:
What is happening with this fault on my line with these errors you have observed?
Why am I still getting errors in the router log for firewall ICMP Destination Unreachable when I have the firewall disabled?
Would not disabling the firewall open all ports anyway, and so render a telnet to open specific ports be pointless?
If not, how would I close them again via telnet?
If I do have to telnet into the router to open ports (i.e. it does actually make a difference, despite the firewall being disabled), would someone be gracious enough to point me to a guide to tell me exactly how to do that?
The problem I mentioned with the router not remembering settings seems not to have returned since I reset the router.
As to the problem I am having with speed tests, I would like to record what is happening so that it can be observed by others so they know exactly what I mean, but I don't know if I can upload such a video to this forum. Is that possible?
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

The errors that were generated from the test I ran were Errored seconds, these can cause the connection to drop if there are enough of them.
This erroring is either due to an internal fault or a BT network fault. So to rule out where the errors are coming from we need to check the internal equipment and wiring.
Razer
Grafter

What does that mean?
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Something is causing errors on your line, to determine where I'd suggest running through the checks at http://faults.plus.net and if the errors are still apparent we can then investigate it from there.
Let me know if you've managed to do this and I'll keep an eye on it.
Razer
Grafter

The link you gave me is a problem. First and foremost, the first question gives only three possible answers:
I can't connect at all
My broadband is slow
My broadband connection drops
None of these apply as far as I am aware. In order to proceed, however, I selected 'My broadband connection is slow'. Not that is has been slow, per se (apart from last night, which many customers had, it seems). I chose it because it most closely matched one of the main problems I am having with speed tests (delays in starting or finishing). Either way, it is a kind of slowing down, in a sense.
Proceeding with the automated questions, however, became problematic because not only has it stated that your records show that my connection has dropped at least twice a day [I think it said this week] (I have no awareness of this), but based on that it asks me what happens with my router when the connection drops, does the light stay on, does it reconnect automatically, etc. I have no awareness of my connection dropping and the router having to reconnect, I haven't seen any such indication of this and the router sits right in front of me, so I can't answer them accurately/truthfully. I just answered them as if I did have an awareness of the connection dropping (which isn't the problem I started off with nor reported), just to see where this script would take me.
So then it gets to the end and asks me to confirm:
Why we're asking you to test a different router
Our supplier is responsible for the repair of your broadband up to the point where the line enters your property (the master socket if you have one).
This means they'll fix problems in the telephone exchange and on the line between the exchange and your property for free.
Routers can go wrong at any time, so it's a good idea to test another one before reporting a broadband problem. This will prove that your router is not the cause of the problem. Also, it's much quicker for you to replace a broken router than booking an engineer visit. If we do need to send an engineer and the problem is found to be caused by your equipment, internal wiring or as a result of damage to BT equipment you will be charged for the visit.
To continue reporting your problem, please choose one of the answers below and click Continue.

I am not going to click any such confirmation based on an unsuitable, automated script that does not understand my problem, is asking me questions related to matters that I have not reported and asks me to agree that I may be charged £60 if the fault is mine. As far as I am aware, I have seen no problem with my router apart from those reported in the other thread, namely: It forgets settings I enable or disable and it presents me with Firewall error messages despite my disabling the firewall.
So, in connection with my original problem of getting multiplayer gaming sessions going, and having them last without being 'disconnected from the Host', or simply stalling, we have:
Router forgets settings
Firewall error messages despite disabling firewall
Delays in the upload part of speed tests
Delays in the ending of speed tests
In the help I have been seeking in the gaming thread I have been prepared for anyone's suggestion I perhaps ought to check 'such and such' in some hitherto-unknown-to-me aspect of my computer, but then;
You told me there were errors on my line.
What I can say I have already done, several days ago, and again in the last two days because I suspected you would come to this same, hackneyed old 'test your internal wiring/equipment' malarky that every single ISP does, is:
I have tried different filters
I have tried a different phone line/router cable
I have tried without any telephone connected
I have rebooted the router several times
I have reset the router twice ... maybe three times
I have disconnected/reconnected several times to try different gateways
And all testing has been done with my usual set-up and in the test socket.
The problems/oddities I experienced first, continue, intermittently - whatever wiring/socket/filter arrangement I try. Sometimes the speed tests will not even finish at all and I simply close the page because I get so fed up of waiting. Sometimes the game will not connect at all, either, and I give up, fed up with changing settings back and forth, enabling and disabling this and that setting over and over again, disconnecting and reconnecting, repeatedly. I would have simply put it all down to a problem with Ubisoft servers, but for the speed test problem that has always existed on my connection and you saying that there are errors on my line. Oh, I almost forgot. There are also sometime delays in web pages loading, either from start, mid-way, or finishing up (not just this forum problem that we are all used to by now). My whole sense with the whole lot of it is some kind of bottleneck, packet loss or whatever.
Excuse me, Chris, if I seem rude or short. I'm starting to ramble because I'm furious. I do appreciate your trying to help, but I am just so completely fed up with the whole matter. I am also fed up with the 'test your equipment' as the first port of call when I, like so many of us, know the drill and already do these tests, several times. It's so infuriating. There is this presumption with ISPs that none of us do them and all must be told to, every time. ... I'm rambling again.
I don't know what else to do, but I certainly can't click any agreements from a script that is not worded according to what I am saying and have said, and what other people are telling me.
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I completely understand your frustration with this as you just want it resolving, the £60 charge is something that we always try and avoid and we do this by asking for the checks to be performed.
As you have done them all I would not worry about the charge if I'm honest and proceed with the fault diagnostic checker so we can investigate further. I'm more than happy to oversee your fault and make sure we do all we can to make sure you're not charged. This would only be a possibility if you haven't done the checks and if we actually get to the point of needing to send an engineer and not just by raising a fault.
As I said I'll go through the faults process with you to make sure we avoid this at all costs.
It does help if the correct answers can be chosen as it will help to us to identify the cause quicker and assign to the relevant faults team, but in any case we will get it moved to the correct team if after testing it was found to be a different issue.
Chris
Razer
Grafter

Thank you kindly, Chris, for your response.
I can't proceed with the fault diagnostic checker because the questions do not apply to me. They ask about the line dropping, for example, when I am experiencing stalling. As another example, it doesn't ask 'does your PN router forget settings' or 'does your router give firewall errors despite disabling the firewall'. It is NOT accurate reporting, therefor. And I've already said it, I will NOT click ANY agreement that could be held to be binding when it is not accurate nor truthfully representative of what I am reporting and would bind me to the possibility of a charge. It doesn't matter what you say, Chris, I am not going to trust any company (anybody, in fact) to have me click an inaccurate agreement, which is in a sense a type of contract. If I came to dispute such a thing later, I would be in the worse position because I had already made a digital signature. No.
If it's so 'not to worry about', then why don't you open (an accurate) fault ticket for me? We're already discussing the issue and you know what's going on.
Razer
Grafter

As a separate addendum:
I'm still waiting for someone ... anyone who could explain to me why my router firewall still presents errors in the router log when I have disabled the firewall. I really would like to be able to eliminate a faulty router as the problem. To my logic, if it is disabled, there should be no log entries for the firewall at all. And why it forgets settings. Again, to my logic that implies a faulty router.
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Razer
Grafter

Thanks for that. Interesting read, though I can't wholly trust it as it's so badly written. It seems to suggest, anyway, that the firewall on the 582n is just ... broken.
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25