Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please check my line

Poggers001
Dabbler

Please check my line

Hi,
Could someone check my line profile to see if it is the best it could be.
Username: lewismitcham
Also I have heard interlacing could improve things but unsure if it would make my line unstable. Could I test it?
Lewis
9 REPLIES 9
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: Please check my line

Interleaving will generally make the line more stable, at the cost of slightly increased latency and a small speed decrease.
I'll go test the line and post back shortly.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

WBC 160K - 24M No delay (INP 0) 6dB Downstream, UC No delay (INP 0) 6dB Upstream (ADSL2+)
Loop Loss: 48.5
SNR Margin: 5.1
Speed:  Up:843  Down:3863 
The line is erroring a bit,  with a mean time between errors of just 27 seconds.
Are you plugged into the master/test socket without any extension leads in place?
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Poggers001
Dabbler

Yes I am - moved it yesterday as instructed by your website.
I think the distance between me and the exchange is not healthy. Would switch the fiber if I could.
What error rate should I be aiming for?
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Hi,
The distance between yourself and the exchange is what it is - "health" has no bearing on matters!  Grin
There is though something not quite right about the health of the circuit.  At 48dB (3.5km) you ought to be seeing something nearer 6Mbps.  The 5.1dB SNRM indicates the presence of some electrical noise on the line or in your home.
You have already said that the router is now in the test socket: does that imply that before it was on an extension?  How is that extension wired?  Out of the front of the socket on a 'flat' D-cable cheap 'phone' extension or out of the back of the master socket using proper twisted pair 'quality' phone cable?
'Flat' D-Cable is far from ideal for plugging routers into.  If it is proper phone wire taken from that back of the master socket, carefully remove the lower face plate and see how many wires are attached.  The ought only be two (blue/white and white/blue) on terminals 2 & 5.  There might be a more (usually orange/white on terminal 3) which can be safely removed - this should be done at both ends.
Is there noise on the line?  Dial 17070 option 2 using a corded phone plugged into the master socket.
Quote from: Chris
Are you plugged into the master/test socket without any extension leads in place?

Quote from: Poggers001
Yes I am - moved it yesterday as instructed by your website.

For total clarity, are you plugged into the front of the master socket or the test socket BEHIND the lower removable face plate?  The latter disconnects ALL extensions.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Poggers001
Dabbler

I have tested plugging the router straight in to the test socket and it made no difference the plugging it in to the master socket with my extensions connected.
So if there is something up with the line it's external from my flat.
In terms of the exentsion sockets connections it's wired with the 2 points you advised. Honestly there's no noise pick up from my flat. Wouldn't mind open reach coming to my cabinet and checking the connection to my building.
Don't know what else to do...
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Quote from: Poggers001
In terms of the extension sockets connections it's wired with the 2 points you advised.

Again for clarity - more than one extension socket?
Exactly how are they wired from the master socket?  A cable to one and then on to the next (daisy-chained), or more than one cable from the master socket (star wiring)?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Poggers001
Dabbler

They are daisy chained.
Despite that though the noise and speed of the line does not change much between plugging it in to the master socket with extensions attached or plugging it in the test socket directly.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Quote from: Chris
WBC 160K - 24M No delay (INP 0) 6dB Downstream, UC No delay (INP 0) 6dB Upstream (ADSL2+)
Loop Loss: 48.5
SNR Margin: 5.1
Speed:  Up:843  Down:3863  
The line is erroring a bit,  with a mean time between errors of just 27 seconds.

For that attenuation, the synch speed should be around 5.9Mbps, though we have not seen figures from your router, if we rely on Chris' report there is a sizeable difference.
Now you've done all of the user domain checks, I suggest you raise a fault report using the link below.

Poggers001
Dabbler

Thank you, will do :).