cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please can I have my broadband speed back?

bin
Aspiring Pro

Please can I have my broadband speed back?

Was dropping out all the time on Wednesday.

Thursday Friday and Saturday - today - slow - about half normal speeds for DSL.

Thank you.

10 REPLIES 10
geek26
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Please can I have my broadband speed back?

Hi there,

From reading your post it's seems to me as though the dropouts have been causing DLM system to kick in and reduce your line speed to increase stability are the drop outs still occurring now?

James

SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

@bin

Well you may have a fault.

Of course, Plusnet is currently suffering from major issue which started 1am Friday 9th September, details at http://portal.plus.net/supportpages.html?a=2&support_action=messages&ispservice_id=adsldial and this maybe masking any issue you are seeing.

However have you seen this thread at https://community.plus.net/t5/Fibre-Broadband/High-packet-loss-and-other-DNS-issues/m-p/1354749#U135... because you may be suffering from this issue given that your problem stated on Wednesday?

If not, you may have another issue or fault which needs to be diagnosed.

First thing is to check for a phone fault (if Plusnet provide the phone start here https://www.plus.net/help/phone/phone-line-troubleshooting/ ) If you do have a phone voice fault, report it as such and do not mention any broadband issues. And then when that is fixed, see if the broadband is better.

Then if still not solved (or no phone fault is in evidence) and given that you have posted in the ADSL forum, the fault guides for ADSL issues can be found at https://community.plus.net/t5/Broadband/Broadband-Fault-amp-Order-Support-Guides/m-p/1042331#U104233...

(If you are using FTTC then with the FTTC guides are at https://community.plus.net/t5/Fibre-Broadband/Fibre-Fault-Guides/m-p/1156188#U1156188 )

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
bin
Aspiring Pro

It's a bit unusual this time in as much as it is just download speed that is suffering.

Speedtest.net reports

Ping 14 ms
Download 4.62 Mbps
Upload 1.05 Mbps

Download is normally 10-12Mbps

Normally when it goes bad it all goes bad - but Upload is about as good as it gets so I don't really know where to go from here. Traceroutes to various URLs are all good - no major hangups.

geek26
Aspiring Pro

Hi again,

Yes this defiantly sounds like DLM doing this is your connection still dropping? If it is report this as a fault at: faults.plus.net also do a check on your phone dial 17070 option 2 for quiet line test is the line noisy?

If the drop outs have stopped now get plusnet to reset your line back into the training period.

James

bin
Aspiring Pro

Thanks

The line is quiet - I raised a fault ticket to get the line re-set - 3 days before action I assume.

Cannot get to Demand 5 at all since Friday!!!

geek26
Aspiring Pro

Sorry for the late response the faults team will respond normally between 24-72 hours however assuming the drop outs have stopped and you just need your line put back into the training period customer services will be able to do this for you.

Howerver if the drop outs are still occurring leave the fault ticket and wait for this to go through.

kastalaw
Hooked

I have problem with buffering recently - download/upload seems ok but buffering stream is unacceptable. Unfortunately, I did pay them upfront otherwise I would cancel my contract just now. Another lesson...

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Hi @bin looking at your account, it seems @geek26 may have been along the right lines:

@geek26 wrote:

Hi there,

From reading your post it's seems to me as though the dropouts have been causing DLM system to kick in and reduce your line speed to increase stability are the drop outs still occurring now?

James

Unfortunately if we were to just reset the profile, DLM would likely drop this back down again.

I understand since your last post you've mentioned earlier today there is a crackle on your line, so it would be best for us to work to resolve that issue first before resetting the speed profile.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
bin
Aspiring Pro

So, another Quiet Line test and the crackling was gone - There was some hedge cutting going on down the road at the time I did the test and I'm just wondering whether poor suppression was the cause of the interference.

It looks like the line has been re-set as speeds are working back to normal.

It seems that there is a pattern from previous identical issues that I have had - as more knowledgeable folks have identified with the line speed dropping to cope with line drops. Just wish I knew why they keep happening.

Let's wait and see...........

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Glad to hear it seems to have bounced back. Hopefully it stays that way.

If you do continue to experience problems, it's certainly worth proceeding with the fault so we can get an engineer out to investigate further.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet