cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please advise on home network setup

rivageeza

Please advise on home network setup

Good afternoon, I was wondering if this forum could help me choose the correct wireless router I need for my set up at home.
I am currently on plusnet FTTC. We have the BT openreach modem plugged into the Netgear WNR1000 wireless router.
This is all plugged in downstairs and the main desktop PC connects to the netgear router via a 0.5m ethernet cable so we benefit from the full speed of the fibre.
However the wireless signal is so poor upstairs in my bedroom, this weekend I am drilling a hole in the wall in the office, then running a 10m outdoor cat6 ethernet cable up the outside of the house, drilling a hole in my bedroom wall and feeding the cable into my bedroom.
In here the ethernet cable will connect into a Netgear 5 port FS105 switch. This switch doesn't have a built in DHCP server so any device connected to it, EG, my TV, xbox and bluray player will all get their IP address's issued from the Netgear router downstairs.
This doesn't solve the problem with poor wireless reception for my iphone and ipad, and sometimes I'm going to want to use a laptop in my room without having a network cable attached.
So what I'm basically asking is what type of wireless device can I use that will have it's feed from ethernet from the switch in my bedroom?
The downstairs wireless router has all the plusnet account details in but the one upstairs I assume won't need all this.
Also will this wireless device have it's own DHCP server inside? And if so will this conflict with the DHCP server inside the main wireless router downstairs? Will it make 2 seperate networks that can't see each other?
Any questions please ask and any help will greatly appreciated.
5 REPLIES 5
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Please advise on home network setup

You need a simple wireless access point which doesn't do DHCP (or NAT) - that will continue to be handled by the router downstairs. Everything will still be able to see everything.
I've been using a WG602 like this for a long time but you'll probably want an N capable device.
Edit: If you have an old spare Plusnet wireless router it can probably be configured to work as an access point.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
rivageeza

Thanks for the advice Jelv.
This sounds perfect!
I've found a nice looking Linksys one, http://home.cisco.com/en-eu/products/accesspoints/WAP610N
That should still work if all my existing gear is netgear right?
Thanks in advance
rivageeza

Would this be suitable, http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop/ShopDetail.asp?ProductID=9643
Bit cheaper than the linksys and appears to near enough the same job.  I only need the coverage in the same room as this access point.
Kind regards
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

They look suitable - you'd be setting them up in Access Point mode.
If you are not going to use the wireless on the router downstairs you might find it advantageous to switch the wireless off on it to free up the channel airspace that it was using for the access point.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
rivageeza

Excellent, thanks for all your help. Really appreciate it  Smiley