cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please Please look at my connection thoroughly

lowlatency
Grafter

Please Please look at my connection thoroughly

Hi, I have only been with plusnet for nearly 2 months and to be honest with you it has been absolutely shocking I have been finding the SNR keeps going up & up & up (now on 15db) from 6db, I  have a speed of 1.8 meg now and my streaming, downloading and gaming has been utterly atrocious.
I used to be such a big gamer a bout 2 months ago, but now I can not even be bothered to  pick the controller up!
please can you just do something about the service I am receiving because believe me when 12 months is up I will not even think twice about leaving.
this is just normal browsing on ebay
30 REPLIES 30
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Re: Please Please look at my connection thoroughly

Hi,
Could you please raise a fault at http://faults.plus.net and I'd be more than happy to pick this up for you.
Having looked at your line stats, there's definitely something not quite right and I'm keen to get that sorted out for you.
lowlatency
Grafter

Broadband Troubleshooter - Error
There's been a problem
Please try using the Broadband Troubleshooter again in a short while. If you continue to have problems please contact our Support Team for help.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

No problem, I've found the ticket, I'll get that tested and updated for you this afternoon.
lowlatency
Grafter

WOW ! Quick reply  Smiley
Thx
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

No problem.
Sorry for the delay this afternoon, I've just updated your ticket.
lowlatency
Grafter

Hi, I got 3 text messages from plusnet earlier saying about a £60 charge ('fine') if it is something wrong my end but I didnt have this trouble b4 i joined with you guys, so I have just not replied as I am not prepared to be charged £60 for some guy to plug in a phone and say everything is ok and go.
AndyH
Grafter

I think it's pretty rare for anyone to be charged the £60 (I've never read of anyone being charged it) as PN's faults process is pretty comprehensive and covers problems with user's equipment.
lowlatency
Grafter

Hi Andy, Im not really prepared to take that risk but I have had nothing but bad service with my internet since I joined 2 months ago since I switched from talktalk. Don't get me wrong, people on the forums do actually acknowledge you and do try to help, But not really seeing any improvement on my broadband side.
It is almost like we are being pushed out the way by BT to make room for their customers.
AndyH
Grafter

I wouldn't worry about the £60 charge. It's passed on by BT charging PN, but in situations where a broadband problem is in actual fact an issue with an end user's equipment (PC etc).
There are users here with performance issues where engineers have been out, tested things, no faults found and still no charge is passed on to the customer.
It looks like you've been through all the steps and tried everything and you have some fault somewhere outside of your control. Based on your TBB graph, I would happily bet the £60 with you that there is a fault somewhere on your line.
Froug
Grafter

Quote from: AndyH
It looks like you've been through all the steps and tried everything and you have some fault somewhere outside of your control. Based on your TBB graph, I would happily bet the £60 with you that there is a fault somewhere on your line.

BUT it was OK before he joined PlusNet. How does the line suddenly develop a fault when all that's changed is the ISP and the router?
David_W
Rising Star

He didn't state which ISP he came from, if it was an LLU ISP the equipment in the exchange would have been changed over too, the previous ISP could have stuck an high SNR on the line or enabled interleaving or other stability mechanisms which were turned off when switching to plusnet, or, a line fault could have developed.
Anyhow, you won't get charged the £60 if you follow the instructions PN sent you (plug directly in to the test socket, try new filters and another router).  Basically if you eliminate your equipment from the possible causes of the fault then you can't be charged £60 as the fault is not with you or your equipment.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi lowlatency,
The £60 charge may only be applied if a fault is found to be caused by something internally that is completely outside of our control. If the fault is found externally, you will not be charged.
Froug
Grafter

Quote from: David
He didn't state which ISP he came from, if it was an LLU ISP the equipment in the exchange would have been changed over too, the previous ISP could have stuck an high SNR on the line or enabled interleaving or other stability mechanisms which were turned off when switching to plusnet, or, a line fault could have developed.
Anyhow, you won't get charged the £60 if you follow the instructions PN sent you (plug directly in to the test socket, try new filters and another router).  Basically if you eliminate your equipment from the possible causes of the fault then you can't be charged £60 as the fault is not with you or your equipment.

If the problem co-incides with an ISP change, I think a line fault appearing at the same time is very unlikely. Most likely the router or tinkerage by the ISP, as you say (I've had a similar experience - changed to PlusNet, and now suffering awful intermittent latencies).
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Totally disagree. If the previous ISP was LLU it means that an engineer has had to physically connect the line to different equipment in the exchange. Any messing about like that could cause issues.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)