cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please Please look at my connection thoroughly

Froug
Grafter

Re: Please Please look at my connection thoroughly

Fair point, but, why are there so many folk here with a similar experience to mine (i.e. change to PlusNet, latencies go down the toilet)?
Dick:quote
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

This may be a grossly wrong assumption but my impression is that the vast majority of complaints relate to users moving from Sky, Be/O2 and to a lesser extent Talk Talk (this is probably because Gamers don't use TalkTalk normally) and those are all LLU to BTw transfers
lowlatency
Grafter

Just to clear things up, I had moved from talktalk to plusnet end of January I left the plusnet router in for the first 10 days then switched to my own netgear router( the same 1 I used for talktalk).
I had a snr with TT of 3-6db with hardly any dropouts or packet loss, but with plusnet I started of on 6db but just kept going up & up to 15.6 @ one point, and get horrific packet loss with dropout all the time.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Let me know if you would like to progress with an engineers visit and I'd be more than happy to get one arranged for you.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

How many telephone sockets do you have and does the master have a test socket?
How long does it stay connected for, does it drop when you make or receive calls?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Froug
Grafter

Quote from: lowlatency
Just to clear things up, I had moved from talktalk to plusnet end of January I left the plusnet router in for the first 10 days then switched to my own netgear router( the same 1 I used for talktalk).
I had a snr with TT of 3-6db with hardly any dropouts or packet loss, but with plusnet I started of on 6db but just kept going up & up to 15.6 @ one point, and get horrific packet loss with dropout all the time.

I've also replaced the PlusNet router with my old NetGear, and it seems to have helped, but packet latencies are still very variable.
lowlatency
Grafter

Quote from: jelv
How many telephone sockets do you have and does the master have a test socket?
How long does it stay connected for, does it drop when you make or receive calls?

Just the 1 socket and yes I have had it off just plug in directly but no difference.
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Hi lowlatency,
It looks like we're awaiting response on your fault ticket so we can get you a engineer booked in. As soon as you give us your availability we'll arrange it.

lowlatency
Grafter

Hi,
Instead please can my lower my SNR and have interleaving put back on, so I can try and get the fastest possible connection on my line. As I have completely given up gaming all together for the next 9 months....until my contract runs out that is  Wink
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

Yeah, I can understand that the DLM always pushing SNR increase to 18dB (the worse case) can be found here: http://www.increasebroadbandspeed.co.uk/SNR-tweak and look under BT can increase your downlink target SNR margin to 18dB subject!
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi,
Instead please can my lower my SNR and have interleaving put back on,

Why do you want the SNR resetting? I need to ask as we'd rather get to the bottom of any underlying issues.
Adam
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

lowlatency:  It sounds like you have a fault and we should progress that.
If you:
1) Have your router in the test socket
2) Have seen the same spiking problem on two different routers
You are should be safe from any engineer charges as you've eliminated both the home wiring, and the router from the equation.  Lets get that fault resolved.
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
lowlatency
Grafter

Because im on 12 at the moment and the lower the better right? I dont need fastpath any more as I have sold my PS3. And would prefer to try and get back to 3.5/3.8 meg instead of this 2.2/2.4 connection.
Thanks
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

I think the most appropriate course would be for interleaving to be put back on and then look at the error rate over a 24 hour period. If that's low a SNR reset could be tried. If it's high there is no point doing a SNR reset, you need to get the fault investigated.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

The root cause of that high SNR could well be a fault, so it doesn't matter what we set it to, it may just go back up.
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager