cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Planned Traffic Management Platform Maintenance - Thursday 30th July 7.00am-9.00

7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Planned Traffic Management Platform Maintenance - Thursday 30th July 7.00am-9.00

Planned Traffic Management Platform Maintenance - Thursday 30th July 7.00am-9.00am
When's this work happening?
Tomorrow morning.
What does it affect?
Broadband traffic prioritisation.
How long will it take?
About an hour.
What does the work involve?
We will be making a number of configuration changes intended for improving the signature detection of our traffic management systems.
Is it likely to cause problems?
No, it shouldn't do.
Is there anything else I need to know?
If we encounter high load on our traffic management switches following the changes then we may need to reload them. If this causes problems we will post another announcement nearer the time.
Kind Regards,
Bob

Well Bob I don't know who you were suipposed to be improving things for but it certainly isn't me.
This morning I've decided to try and QUICKLY finish a php script before going to work. Then FTP started playing up. Not long after this http dropped dead too. Then the router diagnostics failed saying it hadn't correctly been assigned an IP address.
Eventually after over 5 minutes I get onto your status page to find that you people are playing with things - THANKS for the email and advance notice within a reasonable timescale.
Is it likely to cause problems? - No? - Shouldn't do? - Well clearly you haven't giot a clue then because I'm struggling to do anything worthwhile this morning. I take it you'll be refunding us for my wasted time this morning?
Oh and thanks for taking my call...
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
15 REPLIES 15
James
Grafter

Re: Planned Traffic Management Platform Maintenance - Thursday 30th July 7.00am-9.00

Hi,
You can sign up for emails to be sent via the service status feed on the usertools site.
http://usertools.plus.net/status/email.php <-- Might help for future reference.
Are you experiencing general browsing problems?  Is it affecting all sites?
7up
Community Veteran

Re: Planned Traffic Management Platform Maintenance - Thursday 30th July 7.00am-9.00

James, I couldn't even get on THIS site, yahoo email etc etc etc etc.
It's a Joke. I spoke to Lee, then requested Bob himself. Got passed to Phil who then tried to pass the buck onto yourself. No offence but this ain't your fault and I ain't going to waste my time shouting at you when its the idiots above you who have a problem communicating with customers @ 9:41pm the night before.
The entire thing is a joke.
Thanks PN for wasting my time this morning because now I have to go to work.
dick:quote
James
Grafter

I asked Phil to transfer your call to me - no buck passing.
I'm sorry, but there's absolutely no excuse for screaming,shouting and swearing at our staff.
I understand that you had a problem, for which I am sorry, but that sort of behaviour is unacceptable.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

There was a connection drop at 9:02 but that won't have been caused by the above. I've asked Dave about it and none of the switches were reloaded so I don't think whatever happened was related to the work done.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Matt,
Was that a response to my post or something different
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Jim, I think Matt's replying to the issues being reported in the original post.
Quote from: okrzynska
Is it likely to cause problems? - No? - Shouldn't do? - Well clearly you haven't giot a clue then because I'm struggling to do anything worthwhile this morning. I take it you'll be refunding us for my wasted time this morning?

Problems were not expected which is why I wrote exactly that! No matter how much we prepare for a period of maintenance unexpected things can (and do) happen. I'm sorry but that's just one of those things and has no bearing whatsoever on how much of a 'clue' I have.
As I went on to say in the maintenance post last night:
[quote author="I"]If this causes problems we will post another announcement nearer the time.
Despite the fact that the switches weren't reloaded, if we establish that there has been a problem then I will update Service Status accordingly. We'll keep an eye out for other reports of problems.
If you want emails when a service announcement is posted then I'd suggest you subscribe to receive them.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Thanks Bob,
It does explain the problems I saw as well - I needed to initiate a manual reconnection to the server (connection to the exchange didn't drop)
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

To be fair, the connection drops should only have impacted Madasafish customers. Our monitoring graphing supports this too. This is why there's nothing about the work posted to the Plusnet Service Status feed (it's over on the Madasafish website instead).
So basically, it's worth keeping close tabs on as we may still have an issue following the Traffic Management changes...
Edit: worth keeping an eye on the thread here?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

7up
Community Veteran

Quote from: Jameseh
I asked Phil to transfer your call to me - no buck passing.
I'm sorry, but there's absolutely no excuse for screaming,shouting and swearing at our staff.
I understand that you had a problem, for which I am sorry, but that sort of behaviour is unacceptable.

Limited time before work, needed to get something done and you guys sneak in a session of network maintenance through the back door.
Quite frankly it's appalling. Then you try to turn it around on me and blame me for being frustrated? - because I had a problem?
Sorry James you guys just don't get it do you. We pay for this service and we pay your wages. I'd certainly expect some better service from a business which depends on good customer service for survival.
Up with the 3G dongle!
Incidentally there was no screaming... shouting and swearing yes but no screaming. The sort of behaviour that is unacceptable is that of treating your customers like a commodity. To be asked by one of your staff if I have 'power cycled' my router is insane and frankly makes me think you guys have absolutely no respect for those of us who pay you our hard earned cash. I'm not stupid, the word reboot works fine and dandy with me (and yes I'd already tried it btw and it still diagnosed a remote problem telling me to call you) but apparently you guys have to over complicate everything to try and confuse the 'less aware' customers you have. Nice tactic but it infuriates those who aren't so stupid.
You can clearly see that Oldjim has had problems too so why not accept it and make a public apology - YOU STUFFED UP.
Logic: People get up in the morning and want to check email, read the news etc. PN Logic: Best time to boot people off line is the morning. Surely it would of been better to do this kind of thing at 3-4am?!?!?! - Hardly anyone is up then.
As for their being a connection drop at 9:02 I can assure you I was still struggling to use FTP at 8:45am so clearly you guys didn't have it as sussed as you thought. Yes my router also showed I was still connected to you guys BUT THERE WAS NO THROUGHPUT of any sort. Try understanding that would you?
7up
Community Veteran

Quote from: Bob
To be fair, the connection drops should only have impacted Madasafish customers. Our monitoring graphing supports this too. This is why there's nothing about the work posted to the Plusnet Service Status feed (it's over on the Madasafish website instead).
So basically, it's worth keeping close tabs on as we may still have an issue following the Traffic Management changes...
Edit: worth keeping an eye on the thread here?

In fairness Bob you said there shouldn't be any problems either. Why didn't you just do this work when almost no-one would notice - in the early hours? - Why first thing in the morning when many people are going to be trying to use the web?
I don't care that you say it should only affect Madasafish customers - frankly you got it wrong again because IT DID affect others. Its got to the point where I just don't believe a word that comes from PN. As for not announcing it on the service status feed.... thats just silly. You could of at least announced a "some customer might experience a slight glitch..." but no not you...
godsell4
Rising Star

Quote from: Bob
Our monitoring graphing supports this too.

OK, so being pendatic, the PPP/LCP connection did not drop, my router logs show that to be true ... but clearly data was stalled in both directions for a few minutes.
It is kind of the same effect and so people will report it as 'the connection dropped'.
Yours angrily, while working from home when this happened.
SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
artmo
Aspiring Champion

I also couldn't get things to work this morning between 8 and 9a.  Could get onto the forum but all other sites came back 'unable to connect'.  I'm with PN. Things seem back to normal again now.
Be3G
Grafter

Okrzynska, I know you're frustrated, but can I please ask you to consider calming down a bit. You're coming across as argumentative, and that's neither constructive nor conducive to people helping with your problem. Plusnet and the moderators are happy to allow the presence of critical threads, but we won't tolerate arguments and anything that's bordering on personal attacks.
7up
Community Veteran

Frustrated wasn't the word this morning. I was in a furious RAGE.
Frankly its like this:
Who was tinkering with the broadband? - Me or PN? - PN
Whos fault then is it that my internet dropped dead and became worthless? - Mine or PNs? - PNs
Who then needs to 'power cycle' their router? - Me or PN? - PN
Who gets the raw end of the deal for the money? Me or PN? - Me.
Plusnet are always in self denial that they've done anything wrong or that the service is deteriorating at all. They really can not see that it is THEIR attitude towards US that causes these hard feelings.
When we move we won't be continuing with PN. The only thing I would miss from this ISP if I switched would be the fellow forum users.
I wouldn't trust this ISP to even sink the titanic properly.