07/06/2012 @ 11:23
When's this work happening?
Tomorrow, Friday 8th June.
What does it affect?
Our traffic management platform.
How long will it take?
Up to four hours.
What does the work involve?
We're opening up some virtual routes that will see customers connecting to our new E100 traffic management switches. Customers connecting to the following gateways may see their traffic routed through the new platform:
ptw-ag01
ptw-ag02
ptw-ag03
Am I likely to notice the work?
No.
Is there anything else I need to know?
No.
Kind Regards,
Matt Taylor
Customer Support

Has this work started earlier than planned?
Throughput this morning at 06:45 is poor, despite disconnecting/reconnecting the router a couple of times.
The FTTC modem is still in sync at 28.5Mb, but throughput is down to 19.5Mb or less & ping has almost trebled.

Currently:-
You are currently connected to the gateway known as pcl-ag04.
This is located in City Lifeline House.
12 REPLIES 12
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: Planned Traffic Management Platform Maintenance - Friday 8th June 9am-midday

You are on pcl-ag04 as you have stated, so why do you thing you are going to be affected by 3 other totally different pcw gateways?
Try a different speedtester or choose another server.
Bald_Eagle1
Grafter

Re: Planned Traffic Management Platform Maintenance - Friday 8th June 9am-midday

Because whenever Plusnet have made "improvements" recently, things that shouldn't be affected do sometimes seem to be affected.
I was just flagging it as a potential issue (side-effect) to be looked at.
The work isn't supposed to actually start until 9am, so it might well be a different issue, or something at my end.
I have indeed tried a number of speedtest.net servers, different speed testers & different Plusnet gateways.
At this time of a morning, throughput is usually at its max, with a straight line graph.
I do check regularly.
Today the graph looks like saw teeth, regardless of server or gateway.
adie:quote
Anotherone
Champion

I understand where you are coming from  Wink
Because whenever Plusnet have made "improvements" recently, things that shouldn't be affected do sometimes seem to be affected.
Shocked    Edit: mind you, could be due to BT maintenance.
prichardson
Grafter

The work you originally listed is not related to the speed issues you are reporting.
The work will see traffic for some customers on the three gateways listed take a different route from the gateway to our core network, using our new E100 traffic management switches.
Other customers will not be affected and trust me when I say, you and pretty much every other customer on the platform would see more then some speed loss if the network decided to route data in a way that did cause problems.
In regards to the graphs, is the the ones on the following page?
http://www.plus.net/support/service/network_performance/broadband_bandwidth_usage.shtml
These graphs are due to change, as we have a flaw in the way the data is collected. Right now they do not report correctly. I have attached two 24 hour snapshots of WBC which is based on the data for the graphs we aim to publish in the next 2 weeks on that page.
Bald_Eagle1
Grafter

Thanks for responding Phil.
I was "hoping" it might be due to perhaps some behind the scenes preparation work, which would mean I would not even try rebooting my FTTC modem as I am right in the middle of proving my connection's stability following recent engineer repair works.
The saw tooth shaped graphs I mentioned were actually the ones shown in all speedtest.net tests this morning.
I do NOT generally suffer from any contention issues, regardless of time of day/night & at 6:30 or so in the morning, I would expect the speedtest.net graph to flatline at maximum speed.
The attached is a little smoother, but still worse than usual
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Phil,
The attached is how a speedtest.net graph should look - anything less regular than that is an indication of contention somewhere.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Bald_Eagle1
Grafter

& mine usually looks as flat as can be
Bald_Eagle1
Grafter

Quote from: P

The work you originally listed is not related to the speed issues you are reporting.

So what might the issue be then?
I followed your advice in another thread to reboot the FTTC modem & Netgear WNR 1000 router.
So what might the issue be then?

Sync speed is now 29185k against an attainable rate of 34508k.
You are currently connected to the gateway known as ptn-ag04.
Anotherone
Champion

And guess what, the weekend intervenes  Shocked
Bald_Eagle1
Grafter

Quote from: Anotherone
And guess what, the weekend intervenes  Shocked

I think I have become very cynical over the last 11 months of "issues", that finally appeared to have been resolved - until today's traffic management "improvements".
Surely, it's too much to be pure coincidence?
Anotherone
Champion

I think it probably it is. Try testing as soon as the football has ended on BBC but before the ITV match begins.
Bald_Eagle1
Grafter

Finally found a gateway that lets me see the right sort of speed for my sync speed.

This has been unusually poor all day today.