Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pipe balance didn't last long

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Pipe balance didn't last long

Posted on: Tuesday 25 March 2008, 15:07
Since the previous post we have seen the effect of Microsoft's patch Tuesday die down and also the broadband network is now back in balance.
We also lit a new segment of capacity as announced here:-
http://usertools.plus.net/status/archive/1206019949.htm
Monitoring of the network over the weekend has shown no major traffic spikes and an even spread of customers across the platform.
Posted on: Tuesday 25 March 2008, 16:11
BT Wholesale have recently encountered a problem that has led to the complete loss of connectivity for all users connected via one of our 622Mb central pipes.
Any customers connected to the gateway known as pte-ag2 will have momentarily lost connection to the Internet.
These customers will be able to reconnect almost immediately, however the problematic pipe is not currently accepting new sessions. This is likely to result in the remaining pipes becoming congested which could cause speed and performance issues as we head into peak time.
We are returning Service Status to amber in the anticipation that our network will be running in High Demand Operation both tonight and over the coming days whilst balance is restored.
I might just go back to RIN for a while  Sad
18 REPLIES 18
JJ
Grafter

Re: Pipe balance didn't last long

I had to go back to RIN as it was the only way I could connect!
John H
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

I tried to get onto one of the less cluttered pipes and it wouldn't connect so I am now on RIN
JJ
Grafter

At least we have that option
JJ
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

I must admit that this is very unfortunate.
The pipe still isn't accepting sessions either so we could be in for a bumpy ride this evening. BT Wholesale have confirmed that an MSH link is suspected faulty (this is a core link between superpops). They have also confirmed that it's affecting multiple ISPs.
There's not a lot we could've done to have prevented this one.
Dave's made some traffic management changes to help protect the integrity of the network.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

zubel
Community Veteran

Keep awayzes from my preciousses BBYW Proses...
Cheesy
B.
artmo
Aspiring Champion

Quote from: Oldjim
I tried to get onto one of the less cluttered pipes and it wouldn't connect so I am now on RIN

Jim, Hope it's not a silly question but what is RIN?
James
Grafter

It's the BT Retail Internet Network, which was offered to PAYG customers as a trial about a year back.
It's the same network as BT Retail customers use.
artmo
Aspiring Champion

Thanks for that James.
cp:blue Full quote of preceding post removed. link:rules mod:end
greyposter
Grafter

Why am I having no problems ?
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Probably like me you didnt give up smoking and are still puffing a good pipe Cheesy Grin Crazy
You are currently connected to the "Telehouse North, Juniper 6" gateway. This gateway is sometimes known as thn-ag1.
Laser
Grafter

Just curious...  It seems that many of the gateways are dropping gold (PAYG) traffic more than bronze. Crazy
This is not normal, so I assume it is related to this pipe being knocked out. Just wondering if that's intentional/expected?
James
Grafter

I think you might be misreading the graphs.  I've had a look at all of them and every single graph has gold traffic drops way below those of bronze.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Now that the BBC have opened up the iPlayer to download their content to all platforms (DRM free), I would expect traffic from this source to increase considerably.
I'm not sure if this was due to stupidity or to a desire to treat all licence payers equally.
(It is necessary to use a Ruby script for it to work currently (for me), although I'm sure it would be possible to write a firefox plugin to do the job).

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Laser
Grafter

Quote from: Jameseh
I think you might be misreading the graphs.

Entirely possible! Cheesy
I was looking at per-gateway graphs for Plusnet 7 and 8, which around 21:00 last night show gold drops happening (rare in itself). A couple of hours later (and after I'd posted) we see significant bronze drops.
Plusnet 3 and 6 show gold and quite a lot of silver at that time, but no bronze until much later.