cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ping pingpong during evening

amandapotter64

Ping pingpong during evening

Hey,

Just before new years I started experiencing jumps in ping, most notably during the afternoon and certainly in the evening.

I tried with a new router but ended up sending it back as I thought it would improve it, but actually seemed worse

any advice?

Im currently wired in on the computer, and in the evening my ipad also has weird ping readings

ive attached a ping reading in one of the games i play

2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Ping pingpong during evening

When nobody is using your internet connection, on a wired Ethernet connected computer, run this test - https://www.waveform.com/tools/bufferbloat , and take a screenshot of the result and post it here.

For gaming use, your "Bufferbloat Grade" should be "A" or "A+",  as shown below -

Screenshot 2024-01-08 at 16-08-01 Bufferbloat and Internet Speed Test - Waveform.png

If your Upload Speed is less than 0.8Mbps, then there's not much you can do other than optimise your phone socket wiring to improve the upload speed, or upgrade your broadband connection.

Assuming your Upload Speed is more than 0.8Mbps, AND your "Bufferbloat Grade" is worse than "A", then read the "Frequently Asked Questions" to understand why you have a ping problem, and follow the advice on buying a new router that has "QoS", "SQM", "fq_codel", or "CAKE" traffic management.

If you are using a Plusnet router, none of them support any kind of traffic management to eliminate ping issues due to bufferbloat.

greygit1
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Re: Ping pingpong during evening

I've just run that test on my 300Mb fibre connection.

The results are unsurprising. Load a WAN link to capacity and stuff has trouble getting in and/or out.

N.B. Hub 2. Therefore no traffic management within the entire local LAN. Although segments (two segments, via switches) do.

N.N.B There was a VoIp telephone connected, but that is a proverbial urinary stream in a vast body of water.

Test provided for comparison purposes.

https://www.waveform.com/tools/bufferbloat?test-id=952275a5-7b2a-43bb-a71f-001e0a5e14f7

Screenshot 2024-01-08 211308.jpg