Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ping increase

dazza101
Hooked

Ping increase

Hi,

Can someone help please. I have been with PN since August last year after having ping issues with Sky. My ping has been a constant 15ms from day one until very recently it has increased to around 25-30ms. Being an avid online gamer this increase has an effect when playing FPS games. I believe interleaving may have been applied but am unsure why this would be as it has been fine since it was first installed. Can this be looked into please and if interleaving is enabled could it be disabled to hopefully lower my ping to the original 15ms it was. For reference i do not use the supplied router from PN but use an Openreach modem and an Asus router.

12 REPLIES 12
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Ping increase

Hi there, 

I've just checked your line and diagnostics show that interleaving is enabled. 

The way line management for fibre works means it's pretty much fully automated meaning that we can't manually request a change to that unless your speeds fall below MGALS (minimum guaranteed access line speed). 

Are your speeds looking any worse than usual?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
dazza101
Hooked

Thanks for the reply, my speed has dipped a little. It was around 20 Mb and is now around 16.5 Mb which is still above my MGALS of 14.7 Mb. What i don't understand is why would interleaving be applied recently when my line has been running for 7 months without the need for it to be applied. Could something have caused this to happen.

dazza101
Hooked

Update. My ping has now increased again so I believe another level of interleaving has been applied by the DLM. The following link suggests Plusnet can now request a DLM reset. Can this be looked into please and a DLM reset requested for my line.

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2018/02/ability-reset-openreach-fttc-broadband-dlm-profiles-ar...
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

@dazza101 There's various reasons as to why DLM may add interleaving but generally this is down to errors on the line.

Your current profile is "0.128M-40M Downstream, Interleaving Low - 0.128M-10M Upstream, Error Protection Off" which ties in with the increase you've seen in your ping times.

With regards to DLM resets unfortunately we can only request this if DLM is restricting your speeds. We can't do this to remove interleaving.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
dazza101
Hooked

But I don't understand why it would be applied after such a long time running fine. My ping was a solid 16ms from going live until only a few weeks ago and now it's gone from 16ms to 23ms to 33ms. How can it run for so long error free. Surely if my line had faults this would have been picked up during the DLM 10 day training period. Is it not possibly to change the level of errors detected before interleaving is applied. I'm an avid online gamer so this increase in ping is quite significant for competative play.
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Unfortunately we don't have any control over DLM except requesting a reset if a line is banded.

If you dial 17070 from a home phone do you hear any noise on your line?

With that said from what I can see interleaving looks to be switched off...

"0.128M-80M Downstream, Error Protection Off - 0.128M-20M Upstream, Error Protection Off"

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
dazza101
Hooked

Unfortunately I don't have a phone to test if I have any noise so this is not an option for me.
You say interleaving looks to be switched off but the previous reply from plusnet above clearly says it is on. If it off as you suggest what would cause the increase in my ping. It was 16ms from August last year until recently increasing to 23 and now sits at 32ms. I have attached a screen shot of the speed test I have just completed.
EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Hi @dazza101,

As this test was carried out over wifi, it could potentially be that there's interference on the wireless signal that's causing the ping to increase. Have you tried testing over a wired connection and, if so, is the ping lower on the wired test?

Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
dazza101
Hooked

I have tested over a wired connection and it's the same result. I also ensured nothing was connected to my network when performing the tests and also tried a different router. For the record and as I keep staring my ping was 16ms constantly from August last year on both wired and wireless connection. I don't use wireless for gaming and only used the screen shot as an example of the ping increase. I have attached another screen shot of a test I carried out in March, again on wireless to show what my ping used to be and what it always was until recently. I would like to know how it can be low for 7 month's then just double without explanation. If it is interleaving why would it take 7 months to decide I have errors on my line. If it isn't interleaving then what is causing it. I always carry out my ping test with nothing connected to the network and my router plugs directly into a new type master socket with the filter built in.
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

I'm not sure where my colleagues got that info from as your profile is still "0.128M-40M Downstream, Interleaving Low - 0.128M-10M Upstream, Error Protection Off".

Unfortunately there is very little that can be done. DLM may remove it at some point but I can't give a timescale.

Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
dazza101
Hooked

Could you please tell me when my contract ends, I am unsure if I signed up to a 12 or 18 month term and could you also tell me the cost for early termination.

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

I can't give that information out via a public forum I'm afraid but I've raised a ticket on your account with the details which you can view by going here

Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team