cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ping fluctuates from normal to 500ms, heavier during peak times

Fletcher
Dabbler

Ping fluctuates from normal to 500ms, heavier during peak times

A while ago I opened a thread in a similar fashion to this one, whereas my connection speed itself is fine, but the ping itself is actually quite unreliable.  Which is a major pain since I'm a gamer and the ping fluctuation causes many problems.  Here is the thread for reference
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,135043.0.html
TL;DR: I bought a new router and mircofilters, it didn't solve the problem but the line after some fiddling and purchasing the "Max Premium" service initially did stabilize the line.  However the problem has returned.  I'll soon be removing the Max Premium since during that time of good connection, my speed and ping were no better unfortunately.  It was barely if at all different from my experience, although I grant my line can only go to a max of 5.5Mbps.
However, it does seem like a lot of groundwork is going on in my area with the BT Openreach, it seems my exchange is scheduled for Fibre by the end of next month.  Grin  FIBRE PLEASE!! 
Would the lines being upgraded to Fibre be affecting my line?  Here is a link to the site that states my exchange is due for the upgrade completion by March 2015. http://www.superfast-cymru.com/where-and-when
Here is my post code SA17 4HG, pick any house number in that results to see my exchange.  Also, you'll need to accept cookies on the top of the webpage to get the tool to work.
3 REPLIES 3
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 18

Re: Ping fluctuates from normal to 500ms, heavier during peak times

Your pings are interesting, and we'd need examples to see what can be done. Max Premium would usually help, as would switching off interleaving (if it's on - though I doubt this would cause the peak time issues).
I've checked availability checker and there is currently no info on your Fibre. I wouldn't expect it in the next few months.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
Fletcher
Dabbler

What kind of examples would you need?  For example, when I ping www.google.co.uk via my Command Prompt, the ms[ reading can vary wildly.  At times, its at a solid 40ms or less which is very good, but a few seconds later or even during the actual ping process it will jump up to 140ms.  During peak hours, say between 7pm to 10pm it will hit and usually hover between 300ms to 500ms.  It usually settles back to normal past 11pm.
For example in a game called War Thunder, it will constantly report the actual ping to its servers (somewhere) in Europe.  Normally, I would get between 30ms to 70ms, which is very good and enjoyable.  Lately though the average has been 300ms maybe down to 120ms.  While I can still play the game, but due to its fast nature and need for timely actions, that can be the difference between an enjoyable experience to an outright infuriating one.
That link you posted regarding the availability checker, is a dead link, its not working my side.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Here's the link to the availability checker: http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/
Are you still on a wired connection? Could you provide a speedtest result, including the upload speed you're getting?
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.