cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ping Spikes when gaming

Escurai

Ping Spikes when gaming

I'm not sure if this is in the write place in the forums, but am desperately in need of help.
I play the online game League of Legends, and whilst I have not had any connection issues whilst using BT, and when I initially moved to plusnet, for the last couple of weeks I will get ping spikes every minute or so that will rise from around 50 ping to sometimes as high as 2000 ping before dropping down again, occasionally disconnecting me from the game entirely. As you can imagine, the game is unplayable with these spikes. I have tried many solutions which have failed, like disabling IP Helper, using google DNS, Stopping superfetch, using ethernet cable connection, none of which have worked.
In case needed, here is a speed test performed on my internet.
Ping 14ms
Download Speed 4.31mbps
Upload Speed 0.18
Please help asap, have tried everything now except switching ISP, which I don't want to do but will if necessary.
13 REPLIES 13
gingerbloke
Grafter

Re: Ping Spikes when gaming

As a quick test, change your DNS to something else (I use 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 which are NSA/Google)
Adam
Escurai

I've already tried changing the DNS to that (as said in OP), and still no change Sad
dick:quote
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

I've run a few tests and your upload sync speed is horrendous despite it being uncapped.
That certainly won't be helping matters.
How do you have your connection setup? Is the router in the master socket or a extension?
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
Escurai

It is plugged into the master socket.
Is there anything I can do to increase my upload sync speed, do you think that might be what is causing the problem?
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Potentially as any data your sending will be slow.
Can you see if you have a test socket and connect to that?
http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/master-socket-guide.shtml#whatsTest
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
Escurai

Unfortunately don't have a test socket, sorry Sad
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Have you done anything such as rebooted or moved the router?
The upload speed is looking much better now at 991.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Escurai

Yeah, it had to be unplugged to check for the test socket, I will go in game to see if the problem is fixed, but not really getting hopes up 😕
Escurai

Well I played a whole 30 min game and seems to be running smoothly after resetting the router (I'm so stupid for not thinking of this  Sad Sad ) . I will post if the problem persists, but thanks for all your help ❤️
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Very glad to hear! It was very likely the upload speed causing the problem so keep your eye on that if it happens again.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Escurai

Sorry to bumb this thread (not sure if it was better to do this or just make a new one), but I've recently had more problems with the same game, and can't tell if it's the network or the game's servers that are the problem.
To describe what is happening in game, quite a lot of the time, it functions perfectly fine.
However, sometimes I will get spikes that go up to somewhere between 250-800 ping, although it doesnt function like normal lag either. There are small jumps of a couple of seconds in which the game is frozen and irresponsive to any movement from me or other people in game, and then speeds up to compensate for the movement lost in this small freeze. From what I've observed, it seems most common between like 14:00 - 19:00, and I live in Ladywell, Lewisham if it's a locational problem.
I don't know if you can help me or not, but would appreciate any advice, thanks a lot.
aesmith
Pro
Fixes: 4

Are you positive you don't have anything uploading, iCloud or Google Drive sync, or anything like that (Windows 10 p2p updates)?    Two reasons for asking, firstly because if you max out the upload then it will hurt your latency, since your router won't prioritise gaming traffic in the way that Plusnet does.  Secondly some Plusnet gateways have what I can only describe as an upload problem, I've seen our link brought to it's knees sometimes by upload rates of only 90k bits per second.  If you're seeing that then it might be worth noting which gateway you're on, and doing a disconnect/reconnect in the hope that you end up on a better gateway.
Escurai

I'm sure there's nothing uploading, as this has happened for the last couple of weeks, and has been fine for a couple of hours on some days before turning bad with me just playing consecutive games. Just in case, is there any way for me to check any uploading that might be happening in the background I've missed?
How to I check whether there is a gateway problem or which gateway I am on?
mav:quote