Ping Issues

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Re: Ping Issues

Quote from: npr
Quote from: Matthew

Right our suppliers have stated there's no capacity issues. You have a static IP

If BT say the problem is not at their exchange (they would say that),  could the problem be a IP conflict?
Is it worth trying the OP on a different IP address or on a dynamic address?

I may have not worded that correctly.
What I meant to say is because the OP has a static IP already they can set up a ping graph straight away rather then having to add one
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
Gwigz
Dabbler

Thanks Matthew, I'll see about the router thing, I do have another but as I said it doesn't help.
npr, I've tried rebooting my router a few times, turning it off and waiting a good 30 seconds, no difference.
Thanks Jaggies, It doesn't seem my cabinet has fibre yet, I wish it did! http://d.pr/i/KGen

Here's my ping graph, I think maybe my router is blocking prooobably ping requests -- I'll see about amending that when I get home.
Also, max premium sounds good, I would be up for giving it a try, if I run out of straws.
Sogrom

Hi Folks,
Dont want to confuse things but the only time I've seen weird ping speeds like this is when the line has been fully saturated with traffic.
Usually caused by some software in the background, Software like Steam or the new battle.net client are both guilty of large background downloads,
Might be worth checking that out too ?
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Thanks for the ping graph.
It doesn't show any major issues or points towards a exchange issue. If that was the case I'd expect the minimum latency to rise and dip at times and for you to have packet loss at peak times.
Your graph isn't showing any of that and the points where the spikes in average latency are happening could be down to saturation as Sogrom has pointed out.
I'd recommend checking that before we investigate further.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
Gwigz
Dabbler

Weirdly it's had no problems today, flawless pings no matter what I am up to.
Also, during the issues I was having I did try running iftop, nothing was using anything potentially considerable.
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Hmm very weird.
I'd recommend keeping a eye on it .
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
Gwigz
Dabbler

It's absolute garbage today, worst it's ever been, keeps disconnecting randomly from things too.
npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

Can see how bad it is from your ping graph.
It looks like you've had two resyncs one before and one after 8pm -- the two red spikes from the top of the graph.
Can you confirm the resyncs and their time from the routers log, it may help PN acknowledge there's a fault they need to investigate.
Did you ever try a different router?
Gwigz
Dabbler

8:20pm--ish I reboot the router, was curious if it'd help, first time I've reset it since the last mention of trying it here. It doesn't have anything before that, which is pretty useless.
Routers, they're not the most convenient thing to borrow I've learned. I'd be happy to invest in a new router, but it'd prefer it to be able to do Fibre too, there's a chance I'll be moving sometime towards the end of the year. Suggestions for that sort of thing are welcome, plus I won't be bothered if it doesn't help in the end, a good piece of kit will last a long time.
Oh, forgot to note I didn't reset it any time before that, so I'm not sure what's the deal there.
npr
Pro

What make model router are you using?
Hopefully plusnet may offer a loan router for testing.
Can you confirm you don't have anything running which might use all your bandwidth such as p2p software.
For completeness it may be worth doing a virus scan (malwarebytes would be good to use) and also a shields up port scan (all service ports).
https://www.malwarebytes.org/
https://www.grc.com/shieldsup
A full factory reset of the router may be worth trying if you get desperate.
Gwigz
Dabbler

Thanks for the replies, npr.
It hit 10pm, and now everything is absolutely good again, what the hell?
The router I am using is a "EE Bright Box", which required a bit of hacking to get to accept my broadband username. I prefer it over my the one Sky gave me and it's lasted a year so far, it has a lot of really nice features.
I'm virus free, running in a fresh install of Windows, also experiencing the same randomly according problem my Windows and OS X partitions.
GRC said my equipment doesn't respond to UPnP requests which is "good news".
Also, I had literally nothing running, only person home, resource monitor open to make sure that nothing was using bandwidth -- and I still had pings of over 1000ms.
npr
Pro

Quote from: Gwigz

GRC said my equipment doesn't respond to UPnP requests which is "good news".

No, try the shields up "all service ports" scan, a bit lower down the page.
Gwigz
Dabbler

So I figured out the route of the problem, I noticed as soon as a specific person got home, it got a bit flaky. Turns out they were using Amazon Prime video, which this line obviously cannot cope with.
Now, that being said, the past couple of days have been abysmal, not sure what's going on, pretty clear in the graph above that it's pretty screwed up.
Edit: Well, now that I've said that, it's calmed down some... I cannot wait to move out.