cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ping Graph

greshoff
Grafter

Ping Graph

Could someone with a knowledge of ping graphs have a look at mine and see if it looks ok. I am a little concerned anout the spike in blue around 5am today. This is when I turned my computer on and used the internet for 20min or so. No big downloads or uploads just email checking etc

Also the fairly regular patterns every 6 hours or so, Why are these so regular. There had been no one using the internet at these times. WiFi is security protected. Thanks
11 REPLIES 11
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Re: Ping Graph

Do you know if you have any programs running in the background(P2P)?
thesawdust
Grafter

the part between 6-11pm is PlusNET's doing, Yet others could be as Chris said some P2P?
greshoff
Grafter

I have an automatic cloud backup that runs when the computer starts. Would this couse the latency spike?
greshoff
Grafter

Quote from: thesawdust
the part between 6-11pm is PlusNET's doing

Not sure what you mean about 'the part between 6-11pm is PlusNET's doing'
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Quote from: greshoff
I have an automatic cloud backup that runs when the computer starts. Would this couse the latency spike?

It certainly could account for it. Can you try it with it off to see if there's a difference?
greshoff
Grafter

I have stopped it from running at start up so will see what happens when I start the computer tomorrow morning
Gus
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

I would also test your wifi, turn it off tonight and see if you still get the spikes every 6 hours.  Especially if you leave any PC's/devices powered up over night, to rule out if one of them has picked up something and or has an application doing regular update checks or worse someone near you is leeching.
FTTP 500 regrade from Tues 28th November
greshoff
Grafter

It looks like the cloud backup running at start up caused the high latency. These is no blue spike this morning. I'll try turning off the wifi tonight and see that that shows tomorrow morning
greshoff
Grafter

Here is my ping graph for last night and this morning.

My daughter has been uploading some large files to dropbox both last night & this morningh. Is this ping graph normal  when uploading, if not what can be done to improve things?
Gus
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

If uploading at the maximum speed yes that is normal.  Using all the upload speed means the overheads your connection needs to reply to pings etc from outside world results in a graph like that
FTTP 500 regrade from Tues 28th November
greshoff
Grafter

Thanks, Glad to hear that this is normal ping behavior when uploading