cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Photobox problems and Plusnet

newinvention
Grafter

Photobox problems and Plusnet

I've been having problems for the last 4/5 days getting my calendar creations to load up in Photobox. They're now saying it's because I'm with Plusnet and that it's an ISP (Tiscali/Pipex) problem. Anyone else having issues? The system was working perfectly fine since this week  Undecided
26 REPLIES 26
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Photobox problems and Plusnet

Hmm, that's a weird one. I've not heard anything but will keep an eye out.
They're now saying it's because I'm with Plusnet and that it's an ISP (Tiscali/Pipex) problem.

I'm not sure how it can be a problem with us if it's a Tiscali/Pipex issue, have they clarified that at all?
See if a traceroute shows up any bottlenecks perhaps, if not then a wireshark capture might work at least to see how the traffic's being classified.
newinvention
Grafter

Hi - thanks for your reply (tho I couldn't understand the tech bits!). I read on Photobox that Pnet is owned by Tiscali, hence the problems. I thought Pnet was bought out by BT - so are they right?  Undecided
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

We are definitely *not* owned by Tiscali. Our only affiliation with them is that we have a small number of customers on Tiscali wholesale LLU products and we also use another arm of the company for some of our transit routes.
Can you describe your problems in a little more detail?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I read on Photobox that Pnet is owned by Tiscali, hence the problems. I thought Pnet was bought out by BT - so are they right? 

Plusnet is indeed owned by BT retail, though Tiscali don't come into the equation anywhere (except as Bob mentioned we have some customers provisioned on Tiscali LLU products). BT retail and Tiscali are two very separate companies.
zubel
Community Veteran

Possible iwf-cache problem, at a complete guess from the lack of details?
B.
newinvention
Grafter

Hi - sorry for lack of details!
I have been creating calendars on Photobox - you upload your pix and then load up the Photobox calendar software to sort the pix into what you want.
http://www.photobox.co.uk/shop/calendars-and-diaries
This has been working fine until a few days ago - now I just can't load up the calendar pages at all!  I get an error message saying the browser journey cannot be completed (or similar). I have now tried in Firefox, IE6 and Safari. Same problem. I'm using Windows XP on a PC. I also tried to load up the same calendar software with my OH's laptop (IE7/XP) - same problem!!
I've tried clearing my internet cache and cookies (suggested by Pbox), but to no avail.
Pbox are saying it's an ISP issue. In a new email reply to me they say: "Unfortunately Plusnet use the same communications infrastructure as Tiscali. Please contact Plusnet as this is an ISP issue. You will probably find that while Photobox creation software is not working, other applications like the BBC iplayer are also affected." ... Actually I am able to access BBC IPlayer, so that's wrong.
Does anyone have any ideas - anything in particular I need to ask Pbox? Any other details you need from me? I'd really like to have this sorted.
Thanks all.
Nicemarmot

Hi
I'm getting the exact same problem and response from Photobox. I've tried Firefox 3, IE7, Opera9 and Chrome on both XP and Vista as well as updating flash etc.
I'm heading out to borrow a friends connection using a different ISP, I'll report back with what happened.
newinvention
Grafter

Nicemarmot - mmm, interesting - how did the test go?
Meantime, I have had the following fresh response from Pbox if anyone can comment on this (BTW, I just tried loading the calendars and it's 8.30am - same problem, won't load):
"I believe PlusNet is a wholesale service using the ADSL Tiscali Local Loop Unbundling (LLU). I will be very surprise if the traffic-shaping techniques during peak times restricting the move of certain type of data is not the same for customers like yourself.
They might be using what is known as Deep Packet Inspection, or DPI, to filter the types of data moving across their Internet bandwidth. Tiscali is then restricting the movements of certain types of data. This causes the connection to drop for small periods of time and disconnect the creator software.
This can be easily demonstrated by analysing the router/ modem stats of the session.
No change has taken place in the Creator software in the last month or so to cause such a significant behaviour.
Did you try using the creator software before 4.00pm? Do you have the same behaviour on the site?
At the moment our team is looking for a fix but if you can use the service outside peak times (5.00-10.00pm) it could work."
pierre_pierre
Grafter

you can tell Pbox that your exchange does not have LLU  see http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/WNKNI and also PN has very few people on LLU
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hmmm - well you're not on an LLU line but I think the Ellacoyas we use for our prioritisation use DPI... though I've never heard of this causing an issue with anything before. I can't get any more info at the moment I'm afraid but will check this for you on Monday when I get into the office
From the sounds of it a wireshark capture would be a good idea - that way we can see how the traffic is being classified and give you some ammo for a reply. There's details on how to do a wireshark capture here - you should do this when you're attempting an upload to pbox.
Hope that helps,
newinvention
Grafter

Hi both - Wireshark I have never heard of before! But I'll try it and let you know how I get on. Meanwhile, if you have any more ideas/responses, let me know. Thanks. Sarah
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

I have used PhotoBox for doing a photobook and also ordering 6x4 prints in the past 6 months without any issues at all.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
jazz
Grafter

I've used Photobox for quite a few years and never had any problems - until recently when uploads have sometimes failed.  I assumed that it was just me  Undecided but I'm now thinking that it is maybe more than that.  I haven't taken it up with Photobox but will watch this thread with interest.
newinvention
Grafter

Hi adiewoo - well I've been able to access the Photobook software on and off (tho' couldn't last time) - it's the calendars that are problematic and Pbox have admitted they have got problems with some customers with that bit of kit ATM.  Undecided