cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone use disconnects fibre broadband

mmn
Dabbler

Phone use disconnects fibre broadband

I have recently upgraded from ADSL to unlimited fibre broadband access. After initial wireless connectivity issues which were eventually resolved with much help and advice from the forum members (see my other post) I now have another issue. Answering incoming phone calls or making outbound calls causes the broadband connection to disconnect temporarily on both wired and wireless devices.
I had expected the BT OR engineer to install the fibre  modem downstairs next to the BT master socket but when I asked if it could go where the existing ADSL router was (upstairs telephone socket connected to a wired in extension of the downstairs master socket) he said that was fine. (Note that the extension master socket is connected directly to the downstairs master socket leaving the telephone cable socket available).
My Panasonic cordless DECT phone base-station is plugged into the downstairs master socket which is the same as it was for ADSL (with no issues). Reading various posts suggests that I should try moving the phone basestation to another extension elsewhere and see if the problem persists. Is this my only option or can anyone suggest anything else to try?  Thanks in advance.
PlusNet mods:
- tried to enter this as a technical issue on the web site but fails with a 'try again later' message. Calling gives a message of at least a 15 minute wait. Feel free to give this a fault number though if appropriate.
-  as the use of the phone causes a drop in the broadband connectivity will this affect my line speed? A little knowledge is a dangerous thing but other posts I have read suggest that regular connection/disconnection can cause 'DLM' (?) to think there are problems with the line and lower the maximum speed. Does that mean that resolving the issue I have above might mean the speed stays at the lower level until it is reset by PlusNet/BT?
13 REPLIES 13
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Phone use disconnects fibre broadband

Hi there,
Do you have the phone plugged in through a microfilter? If not, that would most likely be why it's dropping. If it is, try a different one (or try daisychaining two together - this will only work on phones though).
mmn
Dabbler

Hi Matt,
I'll check this eveing when I get in and respond - it had one for the ADSL service.
I thought microfilters were not necessary with fibre but I suppose the phone is physically connected in front of the modem so that could be why it is necessary (?). But if so why didn't the BT OR engineer leave the micro-filter in place if it was required?
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

If he's fitted the fibre faceplate that should do the same job as a microfilter, but even so it can still make a difference, especially if there's a problem somewhere.
mmn
Dabbler

That makes sense as the fibre face plate is fitted upstairs on the master socket extension. Still do not know why the engineer did not check or must have even removed the existing filter for he phone remains connected to the 'real' master socket.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Was the enginner a 'real' BT one or a Kelly communications contractor ? we've seen one or two installations recently that were done incorrectly by the contractors. Sounds like yours could be another...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

mmn
Dabbler

Mister W - I did not read the ID but he came in an BT Open Reach van and I think he was wearing BT kit.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

thought microfilters were not necessary with fibre
They're not if the Fibre faceplate is fitted correctly. It goes behind the normal(removable) lower half faceplate of the master socket. The faceplate socket and any  extensions connected via the faceplate are thus filtered. It is possible on installation for the engineer to install a data only extension which is connected to the Fibre faceplate. IF your installer fitted the Fibre faceplate to a normal extension then your socket at the master will not be filtered and you will definitely need an ADSL filter to connect a phone there.
but he came in an BT Open Reach van
The contractors have what look remarkably like BT vans, but if you carefully they have their own name on it e.g 'Kelly communications acting on behalf of BT'.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

mmn
Dabbler

Mister W - thanks for the explanation. I think I probably have the second scenario - the fibre faceplate fitted to a normal extension leaving the phone socket on the master socket unfiltered.
I fitted an ADSL filter last night and tested with a couple of calls  and again this morning. I think this may have done the trick - I noticed no drop in wireless connectivity in making the calls but I will have to wait until this evening to test any wired connections on  my home network.
Very odd that the engineer removed the filter at installation.
If there continues to be an issue moving the phone base station connection upstairs to the fibre face plate phone socket I suppose should also work.
One thing I did notice is that the speed last night and this morning is back to approximately previous ADSL speeds of between 2.0 and 2.5 Mbs. Could this be related to the dropouts caused the exchange to throttle back as the line appears unstable and therefore BT/Plusnet need to reset something before I can get back to the speed expected? (Matt can you comment?)
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

I think this may have done the trick - I noticed no drop in wireless connectivity in making the calls but I will have to wait until this evening to test any wired connections on  my home network.
The incoming call will have been affecting the overall broadband connection and thus both wired and wireless. If wireless isn't affected now then neither will wired be.
Very odd that the engineer removed the filter at installation.
That's the reason I asked about contractor, some don't seem to either have a very good understanding of the installaion OR are just interested in getting it done quickly.
One thing I did notice is that the speed last night and this morning is back to approximately previous ADSL speeds of between 2.0 and 2.5 Mbs.
Sounds like you PlusNet profile has gone back to ADSL , it sometimes seems to happen!. Check it here https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed ( login required )

orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi there,
If you log in to the router then disconnect using the buttons there, then reconnect after 30 seconds or so you should get your Fibre profile back. Sorry about that.
mmn
Dabbler

Ok. Matt, I've disconnected and reconnected.
Wired speed test now shows around 25Mbs - so problem solved.
Not blisteringly fast but more or less in line with prediced 29Mbs
Thanks - and to MisterW.
KevinA
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

A tiny bit off topic, but if you ever get a spare minute and you have the equipment, I'd be tempted to put the open reach modem on the master socket downstairs and get a speed test from there, you 'might' find quite a considerable speed increase.
mmn
Dabbler

KevinAndrews. I'll try it at some point - through the filter I assume as fibre faceplate is at the end of the extension. You think the wired extension may cause a reduction in the maximum speed available?