Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone rings continually on I/C calls???

dvvrue95
Grafter

Phone rings continually on I/C calls???

Anyone experienced this?
Have an outstanding broadband/line fault (ticket raised etc) for over a week now. Having lost some incoming
calls due to no phone connected had to connect phone (expecting call from hospital).
Now on incoming call phone will ring continuously until answered, not the usual ring-ring, ring-ring.
Router and phone connected via filter to rear of BT master socket.
What does this indicate  Undecided  ?Huh
Still awaiting BTOR / PN resolution
cheers, Ian
7 REPLIES 7
picbits
Rising Star

Re: Phone rings continually on I/C calls???

My Grandma had this on her line and it turned out to be a line fault.
This was found after spending a whole day trying to explain to an Indian BT call center operative that this was not a normal thing for a phone line to do. She asked if we could try another phone - I told her we had 5 different phones here and I'd happily plug them in one by one until she booked a fault call. I also asked her if she'd like me to email the digital storage oscilloscope trace of the incoming waveform so she could verify that the incoming was a continuous signal rather than a ring ring type signal.
I was then transferred to a UK call operative who sorted the issue pretty quickly .........
It may or may not be the same problem as you but it was a line fault with us.
dvvrue95
Grafter

Hi pcbits,
thanks for that feedback. At least your (gran's) experience sounds similar (no pun intended)  Wink
Looks like I'm in the waiting game since a local  Huh BT(OR) engineer couldn't fix it.
cheers, Ian
picbits
Rising Star

I think they took me seriously when I disconnect all internal wiring (there was no master socket as it was a very very old install) and scoped out the incoming ring signal.
Sometimes being an electronics engineer has its advantages.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

@dvvrue95
Did the engineer replace your NTE5? He certainly should have done, because a faulty capacitor might cause this. Was this symptom present when you raised the BB fault and what were the symptoms of the BB fault?
dvvrue95
Grafter

Hi Anotherone,
answer to your questions in order :-
No, advised engineer visit to home not necessary.
Not sure didn't think to make a I/C telephone call at that time, did pick up phone checked 17070.
Following a very local overnight thunder and lightning storm modem speed had dropped really LOW, followed by frequent
losses of modem sync.
We live in a very rural area with O/H electricity and telephone service.
Current PN ticket appears to refers to a BT line fault
using tempy. MiFi to post,
Ian
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

If a Line fault was apparent, I'm baffled why a POTS engineer hasn't been sent which should include checking/replacing the NTE5.
Is the info about the ring being continuous on the fault ticket? If not add it, and phone into faults tomorrow to be sure it's picked up straight away.
dvvrue95
Grafter

Hi Anotherone,
ticket all updated with info, lets see what tomorrow brings  Grin
Ian