cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone line issue, guy fixes @ exchange, he causes a broadband issue now!

adriang
Grafter

Phone line issue, guy fixes @ exchange, he causes a broadband issue now!

A week ago I noticed my phone had no dial tone. I called plusnet and someone went to the exchange to fix it. Got a message saying it was fixed. Found it wasn't, so another guy went out again and fixed it. This time it worked but now if i tried to use the phone it disconnected my broadband. It never ever did that before the initial problem.
This has escalated last night to the point where my router would connect to the internet, could use it for a few minutes then it would lose internet connection.
Have a guy coming out tomorrow to test for issues at my home. I find it all very odd and worrying since I have had PN at my address for over six months now with no issues. Why all of a sudden the issues, did someone cock up when fixing the phone line the first time?
A nyone had this before, or could have an educated guess? 
7 REPLIES 7
Estragon
Rising Star

Re: Phone line issue, guy fixes @ exchange, he causes a broadband issue now!

When the phone stopped having a dial tone, did the broadband go very very slowly? Or was it normal speed?
adriang
Grafter

Didn't have internet when there was no dial tone.
The problem began because of a dead phone line, so to me it was an issue at the exchange.
Gus
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

You can have no phone line active and still have ADSL active, probably find there is more to the fault.  Having the phone working can add to the problems as you could get white noise/crackling during calls that will cause lost connections.
dial 17070 option 2 and see if you hear any white noise or crackling, if you do then same deal as a router issue you have to test all equipment on the test socket, start with Just the phone and ideally with a second backup phone.  If you no longer get it then try with the filter in and router.
FTTP 500 regrade from Tues 28th November
Ronski
Rising Star

You're not in Ramsgate are you, BT broke my brothers line on the 1st March, and they still haven't fixed his broad band yet.
adriang
Grafter

Already done all that Gus with support on the phone, doesn't make a difference.
I am certain whoever has came out from BT to fix the first dead tone issue has cocked up something in relation to my broadband. Nothing has changed on my end, I've had a working setup flaw free for months and not made one single change to anything.
I was able to use the phone whilst being online for months without any disconnects, since this bloke from BT went out to the exchange using the phone causes disconnects!

Here is the log from my latest disconnect earlier (I swapped the IP for 99.999.999.9)
Thu 15 Mar 2012  10:31:42 999.999.999.9 Rx-Noise=3.8 Tx-Noise=31.5 Rx-Sync=19661 Tx-Sync=440
Thu 15 Mar 2012  10:32:19
Thu 15 Mar 2012  10:32:19
Thu 15 Mar 2012  10:32:40                                 Rx-Noise=3.8 Tx-Noise=1E4 Rx-Sync=401 Tx-Sync=9999
Thu 15 Mar 2012  10:32:59                                 Rx-Noise=0.0 Tx-Noise=0.0 Rx-Sync=0         Tx-Sync=0
Thu 15 Mar 2012  10:33:20 999.999.999.9 Rx-Noise=3.8 Tx-Noise=30.1 Rx-Sync=19661 Tx-Sync=440
adriang
Grafter

No mate not in ramsgate
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI adriang,
I noticed you were having an engineer visit, how did that go?
Jojo Smiley