Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone knocks out broadband

gtfc197
Dabbler

Phone knocks out broadband

Morning all.
Can anyone explain why when we use our phone, the broadband drops and we get a red light on router for internet.
Bought brand new phones yesterday and it's still happenening.
We have the 2 outlet BT Openreach MK2 box, with ADSL at top and phone in the middle.
Do I still need to put a filter on phone line or not?
Anyone else have same problem?
Cheers
Mick.
15 REPLIES 15
Gus
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: Phone knocks out broadband

Always best to use filter on a phone, but usually the fault you describe is down to a faulty filter.
FTTP 500 regrade from Tues 28th November
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

It can also be a faulty line card in the exchange. Is it all use of the phone or just incoming calls?
If you remove the front plate with the phone socket to just leave the ADSL working are all other telephone sockets in the house dead?
You should remove the front plate and the filter to expose the test socket and then try using a normal filter to see if the problem still occurs.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Hi gtfc197,
If you can try the steps jelv has mentioned above and if the issues still persists we'll be able to get this raised for you.
PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

Quote from: jelv
You should remove the front plate and the filter to expose the test socket and then try using a normal filter to see if the problem still occurs.

... and before fitting the "normal filter", plug in a corded phone and try a quiet line test (dial 17070 and select option 2) to check for noise.
I've had a fault in the last few days (which is being addressed) where a "1571" phone caused the connection to drop every 30 minutes when it grabbed the line to check for the intermittent dial tone as well as blocks of 4 or 5 resyncs occurring immediately sync occurs due to noise  - so basically the same as you. Previously, I've had bad joints and an earth fault that exhibited such symptoms.
phil
Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
gtfc197
Dabbler

Hi Chris,
Have tried as Jelv suggested, taken front off box, plugged into test socket and connected up using filter that came withh router and rang phone from my mobile, this is what happens;
Wi-fi light flashes green,
Broadband light flashes green,
Internet light goes out and then comes back on RED.
After a few minutes the Internet light goes to flashing green, then steady green.
At the moment broadband is steady green,
Internet is flashing green
Wi-fi is flashing green.
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

We've raised that with our suppliers, an engineer has been tasked to attend the exchange and check the splitter card you're connected to.
I've created a ticket on your account which you can view at https://portal.plus.net/wizard/?p=search which has all of the details on.
gtfc197
Dabbler

Thanks Chris for your help.
Will I get an email or something to let me know when it has been checked?, just so I know whether to look out for one or not.
Cheers
Mick.
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Our faults team will chase this up and review the engineer notes, we'll update you at this point. The engineer does have your contact number if needed.
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Is the appointment tomorrow between 1pm-6pm OK?
I can see you've called in. My colleague tried to call you back but couldn't get through on your land line, it might be worth adding an additional contact number to your account - link.
gtfc197
Dabbler

Your Response
9:32pm, Saturday 5 Apr 2014
BT engineer called today 05/04/2014. He spent about 3 hrs trying to sort out problem, he saw how broadband dropped while using telephone. It is not a fault with our own equipment, but seems to be a line fault. He went outside to the pole outside our house and said that he cleaned connections and it seemed to help, but within 2 hours of him leaving I made a phone call and broadband dropped again, but this time it didn't come back on, so after about an hour I turned off router and turned back on which got our broadband back. So unfortunately we still have same problem plus the telephone line was extremely noisy during my call.

Your Response
2:48pm, Sunday 6 Apr 2014
4 times so far today 06-04-2014 our broadband has gone down, and I still believe that the problem is due to our line because everytime we get any wind blowing you can guarantee our broadband drops. This is now getting very frustrating as we are paying for something that we cannot use to full extent.
Regards
Mick.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Thanks for the updates. Our Faults Team will be back in touch within the next 24-48 hours.
gtfc197
Dabbler

Hi Chris.
Thanks for reply, but to update you, we have now booked to be connected to Fibre as our address is now eligible for connection. I have explained everything that is going on and was told that all faults
will be fixed by engineer on connection, but this won't be until 16th April. Sad
Not sure if this makes any difference to my complaint, but today it has dropped several times again, but we expected this because there is a slight breeze. Angry
Regards
Mick.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

If there is a fault between your house and the cabinet I'd suggest you get that fixed before you go for FTTC. The installation engineer is very unlikely to fix it.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

We'll still investigate a fault with the service even though you've put an order through for Fibre, just in case it's a fault between your property and the cabinet, as Jelv has rightly mentioned.