cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone issues, please help

southwell12

Phone issues, please help

Hi, this is probably a case of me being thick, but can anyone tell me if my phone is supposed to work at the same time as I'm using my broadband connection???
Basically my broadband won't work when a call is made / taken until the phone has been hung up again. But I always thought you should be able to use both devices simultaneously?
I have a microfilter coming out of what I think is the master socket in the lounge (it's the only one which has a BT logo on it) and just the modem and the phone on that.
We have a Sky box plugged into a second wall socket in the lounge - does this need to have a microfilter too? There is a 3rd socket upstairs which isn't used.
Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks
4 REPLIES 4
James
Grafter

Re: Phone issues, please help

Hi there,
You need to filter all of your telephone socket, otherwise you can experience issues such as you currently are.
I'd try filtering all the sockets first and see how you get on.
southwell12

OK will do, but you're saying that I should be able to use the phone and the internet at the same time?
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Absolutely - this is one of the main reasons for upgrading from dialup to broadband. Provided filters are installed on every used phone socket you should be able to use the phone without affecting the broadband at all.
Hope this helps,
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

I'd be inclined to plug a micro-filter into the unused socket upstairs too.  It isn't strictly necessary, but some day it is bound to happen that a phone will be plugged in there and your broadband will stop working when a phone call is in progress.
Plugging a micro-filter in "just in case" would avoid the confusion/frustration in diagnosing the cause of the problem.
David