cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone calls kill Broadband connection

RaynerDave

Phone calls kill Broadband connection

I have home phone service from BT and Broadband from Plusnet on the same line. Despite buying new microfilters, I get serious and persistant interference between the two. If I am on the Internet and a phone call occurs, it kills the Internet connection and I can only get it to reconnect after the phone call has finished and only then by switching my BT Voyager 2100 (wireless LAN provider in the house) off and on again.
Does anyone know what the cause is? Is it a Plusnet problem or a BT problem or even a BT Voyager problem?
Dave
4 REPLIES 4
MikeWhitehead
Grafter

Re: Phone calls kill Broadband connection

Quote from: RaynerDave
I have home phone service from BT and Broadband from Plusnet on the same line. Despite buying new microfilters, I get serious and persistant interference between the two. If I am on the Internet and a phone call occurs, it kills the Internet connection and I can only get it to reconnect after the phone call has finished and only then by switching my BT Voyager 2100 (wireless LAN provider in the house) off and on again.
Does anyone know what the cause is? Is it a Plusnet problem or a BT problem or even a BT Voyager problem?
Dave

I believe this is a BT problem. I had this before on a previous ISP, and the problem was on the pylon to the back of my house if I recall correctly.
Pendragon
Rising Star
Fixes: 3

Unless to have a DECT cordless phone base station very close to your router I would also go for the fault being on BT’s side of the connection. I had similar problems early this year and it was caused by faults on the line between the house and in the green box at the end of our road.
It may take a little time to fix depending on if it’s treated as a voice fault (you still get noise on the line with the broadband disconnected) or a broadband fault. If you still get noise on the line without broadband connected, report as a ‘voice fault’ to BT on 151 (don’t mention broadband). If you don’t, then go through the ‘broadband fault checks’ on your Visp portal.
Regards, P.
godsell4
Rising Star

Quote from: RaynerDave
Is it a Plusnet problem or a BT problem ...

These are symptoms of a BT problem. We can be +90% sure of that.
Though we 1st need to check if this is a problem within you home.
Remove the front cover of your BT master socket, this will uncover a test socket, if you connect you phone and modem via a microfilter to that socket do you still get the same problems?
Now disconnect your modem and microfilter, connect your phone to the test socket. Lift the handset and listen to the dial tone and then hit the '0' button to make the dial tone stop. If you now here pops and clicks, call 151 and say you have a voice fault, do not mention broadband.
SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
James
Grafter

Hi there,
Just to add to what others have said, this is generally a phone (BT) problem, rather than a Broadband (PlusNet) problem.
Your best bet is to try unscrewing the faceplate form your master socket and then inserting your filter into the test socket on the bottom half.  This eliminates all other internal wiring.  See if you can make calls and use broadband at the same time then.  Will add fuel to your fire for reporting a fault to BT.