cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone affecting speed

strider
Grafter

Phone affecting speed

Quick history.  Having intermittent noise problems with phone.  Went through a process of trying different filters, a wired phone and so on, trying to isolate the cause.  Eventually a BT engineer was despatched and he decided to change the socket, upgrading me to a modern socket.  To my relief this cured the noise problem.
However while doing the testing I notice the connection speed the modem sets is dependent on the filter I use and the phone (This is backed up by subsequent speed test - speed range 7.5 to 9.5 Mbps).  The filter is easy to sort, I use the best one (I had 3 to try).  The phone is not so easy to sort as I get the best performance with a wired one but I obviously prefer suing my wireless one (as there are several units around the house).
Any one else see this?
Any one else recommend a phone that does not affect the connection speed?
S
3 REPLIES 3
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Phone affecting speed

Historically DECT phones have caused more issues with broadband than other types.
I've not heard of any issues/seen any posts about that in recent years though.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
strider
Grafter

Thanks for the info. Adam,
Now I look at it again I realise that the big improvement I made, aside from the new main socket, was using the best filter I had.  The difference between the phones is 8.5 Mbps to 9.5 Mbps and I can live with that.  Rather than change the phone, or lose some of the flexibility.  On top of which choosing a phone is a bit of a nightmare.
Thanks again S
saguaro
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

You might try using two filters with the cordless phone. Until I did that I was getting disconnections every couple of days, but once I plugged in the second one my line would stay up for months at a time. (I suppose it's possible that the first one was bad and just swapping them would have had the same effect, but why mess with success?)