cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phishing E-Mail

Not applicable

Phishing E-Mail

I received a phishing e-mail last night that was not quarantined by PN. It was supposedly from my bank but I didn't open it because I could see by the subject that it wasn't kosher - also I wasn't expecting one.
I sent in the headers to PN but what I can't understand is that it was addressed to my default mailbox which the bank has but only a handful of other people (friends) have.  I use aliases and never forward messages containing the default name.
I can't help wondering how this was got hold of. It is really annoying because since the domain name I have been free of spam. Is it possible that it was harvested from someone's address book via a virus on their computer?
2 REPLIES 2
Colin
Grafter

Re: Phishing E-Mail

Quote from: poppy
Is it possible that it was harvested from someone's address book via a virus on their computer?

Yeah, that's entirely possible, unfortunately - it's also possible that the email may have actually been sent from one of your friends machines as well.
Not applicable

Re: Phishing E-Mail

Thank you for the reply. The e-mail address in the headers included the name of the bank with lots of underscores, but nothing
recognisable.  (I confess to knowing nothing about headers).
When I downloaded it into Windows Mail it was recognised immediately with an alert and placed in the Junk folder.
Another question is, if WM can recognise it, why didn't Postini?  When we had the previous system, I had several notifications of phishing e-mails which were quarantined and I didn't have sight of them.