cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phantom usage???

zubel
Community Veteran

Re: Phantom usage???

no, it's a "feature" of the way BT hands off RADIUS authentication to Plusnet.  It has always been this way.
MrC
Grafter

Quote from: puddy
I was always told by Plusnet in the past you can only have 1 broadband account per telephone line now it seems as long as you know someone else's account number and password you can piggy back their account.

Well, there was only one account registered to each telephone number.
I hope Plusnet shut down this breach.

Now Plusnet know about this breach can the close it so it will not happen again to any other customers please?

Why? It could be quite a good sales ploy and it could actually be attractive to a limited number of people. And, if you look after your account details just like any other private information, there's no danger of anyone misusing them. Maybe the ISP/telecoms industry hasn't done as much as they could to highlight the fact that this can happen but I for one don't see that it's a major issue.
puddy
Grafter

This could come back to bite Plusnet  on the bum
Instead of referring customers to Plusnet we could just use 1 account between 6 or 7 users and only pay once
I still say there should only be 1 telephone number linked to 1 adsl account.  I have been with Plusnet since day one and have seen complaints about phantom usage in the past, apart from Plusnet saying the kids must be using it or the wife perhaps she's writing to her lover etc.
If Plusnet knew more than 1 router was using 1 adsl account they should have shut it down or it should have been printed on a exception report and looked in to.
I did ask Plusnet if more than 1 router could be used per account and was told no because the call line identifier  protects this issue from happening now I know that was not true
puddy
pierre_pierre
Grafter

and how do you think I would log onto my PM account when I am holiday? or visiting my sister?, or sat in the local wyvales?
Anonymous
Not applicable

Presumably this is only an issue affecting accounts with dynamic IP addresses ?,  Shocked
as presumably only one session can be connected at a time if the account has a static IP - as hopefully static IP connections should be unique.  Undecided
puddy
Grafter

Quote from: pierre_pierre
and how do you think I would log onto my PM account when I am holiday? or visiting my sister?, or sat in the local wyvales?

Using a modem/dial up account or login in via the front page like we all do now
I am talking about ADSL always on connection at home  CLI is supposed to be another level of security so you can only connect 1 router per telephone line usually your home phone for residential adsl accounts only
Do you always take your router on holiday with?  
If your sister has a Plusnet account and now Plusnet have given their permission set your sister up with a top of the range account you have a payg/basic adsl account and save some money or are you already doing that?

Puddy
zubel
Community Veteran

Instead of referring customers to Plusnet we could just use 1 account between 6 or 7 users and only pay once

No, broadband needs to be provisioned on the line, and it needs to be provisioned by Plusnet, otherwise you won't even get an ADSL sync.
I did ask Plusnet if more than 1 router could be used per account and was told no because the call line identifier  protects this issue from happening now I know that was not true

You can only have one ADSL router active on a line at once (akin to only having one conversation ongoing on one telephone line at a time
B.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

To clarify
You can only use your Plusnet login on a line connected to the same realm.
If there isn't a realm (no broadband) then it doesn't work.
If the realm is, for example sky.net or even force9.net, but your realm is plusdsl.net then it won't work
Before anyone shouts I guessed those other realm names.
Edit - and Barry types faster than me
Anonymous
Not applicable

[quote=pierre_pierre]how do you think I would log onto my PM account when I am sat in the local wyvales
I can just see it now -
puddy
Grafter

Quote from: Barry
No, broadband needs to be provisioned on the line, and it needs to be provisioned by Plusnet, otherwise you won't even get an ADSL sync

Example for 6 customers
So get 5 basic Plusnet adsl accounts and the 6th account signs up a top of the range Plusnet account then you can change the usernames and passwords all to the same as the 6th customer
That’s one hell of a saving but what does Plusnet small print say about doing this?
I am just worried about the security issue I always thought CLI stopped this from happening
Puddy
Anonymous
Not applicable

I could imagine ACS:Law would have trouble identifying who downloaded what, if accounts were setup this way !
Especially as the main account holder could prove that they were on a different IP address at the time of an alleged infringement.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

I want to know how long Plusnet has known about this breach?

You seem to be trying to imply that there was a great secret about this being possible. I'll give you some clues as to how much of a secret it was:
Quote from: Joanne
Have you given someone an old router of yours as there seems to be two sessions running.

Quote from: Chris
I think you may have slightly misunderstood Jojo, there are 2 ongoing connections which means 2 different routers connecting with your details rather than 2 computers.
You haven't given an old router to a family member/friend or similar have you?

And not only did Plusnet staff openly post making it clear that it was possible for two routers on separate Plusnet enabled lines to be active at the same time, but I and other users knew that was the case as well.
Quote from: jelv
Have you ever had a different router plugged in to your line for testing/diagnostic purposes?

(As it happens this is exactly what had happened!)
Quote from: Barry
Or, have you been sent a new Thompson router for any reason, and decided not to use it and given it away?

Quote from: MrC
Or, have you at any time used a PC, which used a modem to connect rather than a router, and the PC is no longer in your house (or maybe you had it temporarily to fix or something).

Shame the penny didn't drop earlier as we were asking exactly the right questions! But alls well that end well.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Quote from: jelv
Shame the penny didn't drop earlier as we were asking exactly the right questions!

Well not exactly the right questions.  None of the questions made it clear that the "family member/friend or similar" would have to be another Plusnet customer.  If somebody had asked: "Do you know any other Plusnet customers?  Is there any chance they could have got hold of your login credentials?" we might have solved the mystery sooner.
PNnewbie
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

An interesting situation - and some interesting comments, thanks to everyone for their input.
In the cold light of day maybe I should have realised earlier what was happening  Embarrassed
I'd always assumed that the individual line number was associated with each account and that bandwidth could only be 'pinched' via wireless, which I had turned off quite early on.  That's obviously not the case.
Apologies if some feel it took a bit too long for the penny to drop, I think as ReedRichards says if mention had been made of  'another'  PN customer the penny would have dropped earlier.
>I also feel the OP should be given a refund/credit to his account for usage he was billed for that he had not used<
Now wouldn't that be nice - won't hold my breath tho'
Oh and the PlusNet usage stats and what NetWorx reports are now very close.
J

jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI PNnewbie,
Hmm, I think you were just testing us! You may well blush though Wink