Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phantom usage???

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: Phantom usage???

At the moment this PC is the only one using the router and I'm using ethernet and have the wireless turned off.  I've also changed the access password to the router so no one can get in and change things...

I think you may have slightly misunderstood Jojo, there are 2 ongoing connections which means 2 different routers connecting with your details rather than 2 computers.
You haven't given an old router to a family member/friend or similar have you?
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
PNnewbie
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Chris
I did understand Jojo's comments and replied accordingly but that particular mail never made it and presumably fell into a black hole..  When I re-wrote it I omitted to acknowledge Jojo's suggestion that there might two accounts - and two routers - my apologies.
I've been with PN for 2 or 3 years and am still using my original router - a D-Link DSL 2640B so I've not passed any kit over to anyone.
Thanks Chris & Jojo, I'll keep checking stats and see if anything changes now that i've changed password as Jojo suggested.
It's an interesting scenario...
John
skicat
Dabbler

PNnewbie
No, what I meant was, have you tried clicking the "View Internet Activities" button? It shows your usage divided into different traffic types, e.g. Email, Web, Broadband Phone etc. If that showed hundreds of Mb being used for BB phone, but you never use BBphone, that might be a significant clue.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Chris - to expedite the effects of the password change I'd suggest you agree a time with John to kill both the connections from your end. Then for John to leave his router off for say an hour to enable you to check that no connection is established and finally for him to connect and you to make sure you see just the one connection.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: PNnewbie
I've been with PN for 2 or 3 years and am still using my original router - a D-Link DSL 2640B so I've not passed any kit over to anyone.

Have you ever had a different router plugged in to your line for testing/diagnostic purposes?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
zubel
Community Veteran

Or, have you been sent a new Thompson router for any reason, and decided not to use it and given it away?
B.
MrC
Grafter

Or, have you at any time used a PC, which used a modem to connect rather than a router, and the PC is no longer in your house (or maybe you had it temporarily to fix or something).
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI John,
Are we ok to kill all sessions and then for you to reboot after a while?
Jojo Smiley
PNnewbie
Rising Star

phew - so many replies !!!
Jojo - yes go ahead and do what ever you need to.  I'll turn this off once I've sent this (~4.45pm)  and leave it off 'till, say 6pm, then I'll re-boot. 
That should give you time to wave your magic.
Thanks for your help.
John
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi PNnewbie,
Killed both sessions now so when you reconnect you should notice the difference in usgae.
Jojo Smiley
PNnewbie
Rising Star

Jojo - you're a star !!!!!!!!!!!!!  Kiss
You're going to kill me when I tell you what happened...
Seems all this has been of my own making – but quite accidentally…
I’ve had a PN account for some time and been very happy.  A while ago I set up an account for my daughter who lives some miles away. 
The router arrived, we tried to install it but had problems, it was apparently faulty as we were unable to connect.  PN replaced it and to ensure this was ok before driving over there I checked it here first – presumably using my own user name and password – it’s a while back so the old memory is a bit dim but I presume that’s what I did.  It worked as intended and the daughter, who was here at the time took it home.  I said I would be there the following day to set it up.
When I went ‘round the following day she said she’d already set it up and it was working well.  Needless to say I was suitably impressed.  Maybe that’s when the alarm bells should have rung…
It was only when PN mailed me to say I was approaching my usage allowance that I became suspicious.
SO, Jojo killed both sessions, I set up my daughter's router - this time using her details – and all is well.  I first suspected what had happened when the sessions were killed and I got a phone call – ‘dad, my internet won’t work’
Using her user name and password obviously confirms that her account has not had ‘any’ use since we set it up.
An interesting aside.  This means PN accounts could be shared…  I had always assumed that an account would only work on it’s designated line telephone number.  Obviously not.
Thanks Jojo for your help and all those who offered help and advice.
John (feeling just a ‘bit’ of a divvy…)  Roll_eyes
MrC
Grafter

Quote from: PNnewbie
An interesting aside.  This means PN accounts could be shared…

Very interesting. It's always been technically possible for a DSL login to be used elsewhere as long as it was with the same ISP (for PPPoA - PPPoE is different) and telecoms provider. However this could be a way to significantly cut costs, especially if the account holder has a Market 3 exchange.
I'm wondering if there's anything in the PlusNet T&Cs that forbids this......?
PNnewbie
Rising Star

MrC
Come to think of it a while ago a colleague of mine 'shared' his connection with a couple of friends - and shared the cost of course...  He maintained he'd checked with the ISP, whoever that was, and they had said it was ok.
Could open up a whole new ball game...
John
MrC
Grafter

Yes - there's obviously the proviso that each user has to have a PN account so that BT can relate the incoming connection to the right ISP. However if say you have two heavy users A & B and A's exchange is in market 3 and B's in market 1. Then it might be worth B registering for the cheapest possible low usage account and A registering for a higher (or unlimited) usage account. Then both A & B use A's account login details. You'd probably have to use dynamic IP addressing but it could work out cheaper with a close examination of the tariffs.
puddy
Grafter

So why does Plusnet security not take in to account the telephone number the Broadband account is registered to?
I was always told by Plusnet in the past you can only have 1 broadband account per telephone line now it seems as long as you know someone else's account number and password you can piggy back their account.
I hope Plusnet shut down this breach.  I want to know how long Plusnet has known about this breach?
I also feel the OP should be given a refund/credit to his account for usage he was billed for that he had not used
In addition I wonder if Plusnet have broken the Data Protection Act?
Now Plusnet know about this breach can the close it so it will not happen again to any other customers please?
Puddy