Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phantom usage???

PNnewbie
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Phantom usage???

'morning,
I've been using  NetWorx to monitor my 'net usage and have been seriously thinking of moving to another package as it reports my highest usage is never usually more that ~3Gb,  the highest for some months being ~5Gb in July . (I'm paying for 15Gb)
However I've just had an email from PlusNet telling me I'm approaching my monthly limit (15Gb)....
So who is right?
Assuming it's PlusNet what is happening to the extra bandwidth?
I've a couple of PCs but 99.9%  of 'net access is via the main one - this one.
I have my router WEP enabled so that should give me a degree of security against any of my neighbours piggibacking my connection.  I normally have the PC hard wired to the router so I suppose I could turn off the wireless though I'm not convinced that's the problem.
Any ideas before PlusNet start billing me?
John
45 REPLIES 45
tonycollinet
Grafter

Re: Phantom usage???

Install networx on the other pc's and monitor their usage as well. Unlikely, but there could be some malware on one of them accessing the net.
Do you watch video on either of the other machines, or use spotify. Both can use a lot of bandwidth.
And yes - go for  a wired connection for a month just to see.
PNnewbie
Rising Star

Thanks for the reply.
The other PC has not been on for weeks so don't think that's the problem.
I've also just turned the router's wireless off.
Wonder if the router keeps usage stats  (it's a D-Link) - will have a look... 
John
PNnewbie
Rising Star

Hmm - nobody with any other ideas Huh
I've turned wireless off, this PC is the only machine now connected to the router.
I've just run MalwareBytes/SpyBot/Avira AntiVirus and done a Trend Micro on-line scan.  This machine is clean.  When it's not actually being used on line NetWorx reports no activity.
Just checked my stats and for the period 10 - 12th October PlusNet says I've used 1.03GB
NetWorx says I've used 322MB
Who is right Huh
I did mail PlusNet but they were not able to help - merely saying they will investigate further if the situation persists.
Can my router be playing up?  PlusNet thought it unlikely.
I'm concerned as obviously I could be paying for something I'm not getting.
John
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Was Netwrx reporting upstream and downstream
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

NetWorx reports both and the total. I can't see his upload being twice the download!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI PNnewbie,
I've just been having a look into this and nothing seems untoward. Are these figures after you turned the wireless off? Did you check in your router whether anyone else was connected?
Aside from this I see that over those 3 days your usage was mainly 9am-9pm so during these times would it be possible to switch off your router completely for a couple of hours so I can see if any usage is reported?
Jojo Smiley
MrC
Grafter

Quote from: PNnewbie
I have my router WEP enabled so that should give me a degree of security against any of my neighbours piggibacking my connection. 

Note that WEP is trivial to crack and this fact is so well known now it shouldn't be used if there's any chance that other people can be in range of your network. WPA, or preferably WPA2, should be used instead.
PNnewbie
Rising Star

Jelv is right - NetWorx reports uploads and downloads separately and also gives a total figure.
>I can't see his upload being twice the download!<
Not too sure what would be an average ratio of uploads to downloads – NetWorx shows my download as being ~ten times my upload.  About all I upload are emails (and eBay listings which can include photographs – once every few days and then only one or two diggis).
Typically, yesterday (12th Oct) NetWorx reports download of 90.4MB and upload of 9.26MB totalling 99.7MB. (obviously rounded up).  PlusNet reports my total usage for the same period as 236.5MB.
Mr C – I do appreciate that WEP is not particularly secure – I started using it with an old Cisco card ages ago and I’ve a feeling the software didn’t support anything else.  I have turned off wireless and this PC is the only one connected to the router so either NetWorx or PlusNet’s equivalent must be at fault – unless maybe the router is having long chats with someone late at night when my back is turned - but this is not reflected in PlusNet’s after midnight figures… Grin
Jojo – I can easily turn the router off for say 3 hours if you wish – just a case of doing it when you’re about.  How about tomorrow afternoon – say between 2pm and 5pm?  (Thursday).
Incidentally my router is a D-Link DSL 2640B
I’d like to think there’s a simple answer to this – but I can’t see it…
Thanks.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi PNnewbie,
Yes that might give me a chance to see what's happening, thank you.
Jojo Smiley
PNnewbie
Rising Star

Hi Jojo,
Did you have a minute to look at the stats ?
My router was off for 3 hours yesterday 'tween 2 and 5 PM.  NetWorx obviously showed zero activity.
Just came on to check my emails this morning and Plusnet tell me I've already used over 200MB today, NetWorx says it's only 5MB !!!
John
skicat
Dabbler

Are there any clues if you click the "View Internet Activities" button? That tries to break your usage down by activity type. Having said that, it's not entirely accurate as my stats claim about 10% of my usage is Broadband phonecalls and that's a feature I never use.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi PNnewbie,
There was a very small amount of usage during those hours but there should have been none. Have you given someone an old router of yours as there seems to be two sessions running. Best way to fix that is to change your password here first and then in your router, when the other session disconnects they wont be able to reconnect.
Jojo Smiley
PNnewbie
Rising Star

Hello Jojo - apologies but I did reply earlier this morning -  seems it must have fallen into a black hole somehow and never made it here...
Thanks for checking activity for me.  Presumably the 'small amount of usage' you mention wouldn't account for the discrepancy between NetWorx and PN's stats?
I've been posting on the NetWorx forums and apparently other users find NetWorx quite accurate, I presume your stats counter is also reasonably accurate so it's all very confusing.
On your advice I've changed my password so we'll see if that makes any difference.  At the moment this PC is the only one using the router and I'm using ethernet and have the wireless turned off.  I've also changed the access password to the router so no one can get in and change things...
skicat -  today's stats:-
NetWorx reports total usage as being 27.2MB
PlusNet  reports total usage as being 238MB
Almost 80MB is shown as being used after midnight...
Internet activities split up into:-
Web = 65MB
Streaming = 33%
Other = 2%
I'm sure there's an explanation to all this 'but' I can't see it...
I wonder if there's anyone out there with NetWorx who perhaps could see how it' s stats compare with the PN ones...
John
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: PNnewbie
I wonder if there's anyone out there with NetWorx who perhaps could see how it' s stats compare with the PN ones...

Pretty close. Where it has differed has been explicable (e.g. setting up new PC and downloading patches before Networx installed).
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)