cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Periodic disconnects

blackanchorage

Periodic disconnects

I've been experiencing periodic disconnects for more than a week. I think it's losing the ADSL Sync, and it usually comes back in a minute or so. It can happen every few minutes, but sometimes there are no problems for hours. As my son plays MW2 online, the disconnects are a real pain - fortunately he's been patient. I raised a ticket - 31345312 - but nobody seems to be looking at it.
I've been with Plusnet for four or five years, and this is the first time I've had problems. They seem to coincide with a request to switch from Broadband Your Way to Premium - I think that can trigger an upgrade to ADSL2+, so maybe that's the problem. I've tried unplugging the phone, I removed an unused extension, I've reset the router to factory settings, I've tried two filters. Can anybody suggest anything else?
Thanks, Roger
7 REPLIES 7
mPH
Grafter

Re: Periodic disconnects

I am experiencing the exact same problem.  Been with plusnet for years, no apparent problems then approx a month ago getting the random drops.  I have also switched from a monthly contract to Premium.  MW2 is unplayable in this state, I can never finish a match.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Both of you:
Can you run the BT speed test and see what speed it says for your IP Profile. Then go to https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed and see what it says for your current line speed. It should be the same. As you've changed accounts I fear the speed on the portal may say 2000 irrespective of your IP Profile. If that is the case ring support and ask for it to be corrected.
It may not be the cause of your problems, but it won't be helping if it is wrong.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
blackanchorage

The BT test reports:
Download speedachieved during the test was - 5967 Kbps
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :9723 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 445 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 6000 Kbps
The other page says:
Current line speed:
Thanks
jelv
Seasoned Hero

You have been switched to ADSL2+ - it looks like it's still trying to find the right speed for your line.
blackanchorage

Thanks jelv. I think previously the IP profile was 8000, so maybe as it slows down it will get more reliable.
Regards
jelv
Seasoned Hero

The maximum IP Profile on ADSL1 is 7150
blackanchorage

I discovered that a new version of the firmware in my router had been published about a year ago - once I installed that, I didn't get the disconnects any more.
Thanks for everybody's help, including customer support.