cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Periodic delays when 'Connecting'

rogermhunt
Grafter

Periodic delays when 'Connecting'

In recent months we've noticed the following issues (on both home computers) . . . . .
I can be working happily away on the computer, and may have a few tabs open in the Chrome browser, but when I click to open a new website the existing tab (or maybe even a new tab) will attempt to make the connection but just hangs there for maybe 20 to 30 seconds or more before either loading the page (or not). Bottom left of the screen shows 'Connecting'. It's not related to the website it's trying to connect to i.e. could be anything from Facebook, Instagram, Yahoo, the Bank, a news link etc.
I would say this happens several times throughout the day . . . . more often than not there are no issues opening a new webpage and other times I get this annoying delay before anything happens.
I run Windows 10 on an i7 PC using Chrome. My wife's i5 PC runs Windows 7 using Chrome. Only occasionally in the evenings are both PCs being used at the same time, but the issue can occur at any time during the day on either one of the PCs. We use Plusnet Fibreoptic Broadband and the average speed is approx 30Mbps.
Does anyone have any idea as to what causes this 'connecting' delay issue? Intermittent line fault? Intermittent Plusnet server delay? General internet problems?
I really have no idea, but would like to try to eradicate the issue as it's so frustrating!
Thanks
5 REPLIES 5
runhare
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: Periodic delays when 'Connecting'

Which router are you using?
Look up the thread on DNS issues here,  http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,148555.0.html ; and see if it applies to you
JayG
Pro
Fixes: 6

As I've mentioned elsewhere, I've been recently having similar problems with Chrome, but on an Android tablet rather than PC.
Slightly different in that no pages load quickly, and even when they do scrolling down to read them involves a looong wait.
Problem has come and gone, lasting a few days at a time (currently misbehaving.) No problems using Firefox browser.
Having not solved the mystery myself, and given the different OS's involved, I can only really suggest trying a different browser (e.g. IE or Firefox) to try to establish whether your problem is browser related or something else.
(Check previous reply first.  ;))
rogermhunt
Grafter

Well, I spent a long time reading the DNS thread that was suggested (and other threads linked to that one). I got very confused, especially when people started talking about connecting to Telnet or getting Plusnet to 'push a configuration fix to the user's router.
So, I took a chance and was quite quickly able to Chat online with Plusnet technical support.
I explained my issue again and Matt D agreed that it was probably caused by the 'DNS issue'.
His solution was for me to change the DNS settings on my PC and gave me a link for Windows 7 systems and Windows 8 (and 10) systems.
These are here . . . .  http://www.plus.net/support/software/dns/changing_dns_windows7.shtml ; and  http://www.plus.net/support/software/dns/changing-dns-windows-8.shtml
I've made the change to my Windows 10 PC and so far, I've not had a repeat of the 'connecting' delay I had been experiencing.

I know it's early days, but if this solution does work for me, I'll let you all know in a couple of days time.
runhare
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Hi rogermhunt,
Good to hear you are sorted but I asked you earlier
Which router are you using?
So, are you using the TG582n router ?
If you had said yes or no  then we may have been able to save you some time reading as the DNS problem only affects users of that particular model of router which have received an update that's got some problematic  issues with it.
Assumng you are a user of the TG852n then the manual fix is actually a relatively easy DIY job  which has been summarized  here http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,148555.msg1308984.html#msg1308984
It is also possible to request Plus Net to send you the fix remotely.
IMHO  Matt D's advice of changing DNS Settings on your PC will only affect that particular deceive and for me it did not work at all well anyway. The best solutions are the DIY fix or asking PN to send (push) it to your router .
Good luck
rogermhunt
Grafter

Sorry  gpsmout, I guess I got carried away with the reading and Chat that I just forgot to respond!
Yes, I use the TG582n router.
I'll bear in mind your further advice and will follow it if the issue hasn't been solved by what I've implemented today.
Cheers