cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Performance of the Technicolour tg582n Router

Slapdash

Performance of the Technicolour tg582n Router

Hi,
I have just received the Technicolour tg582n router as an upgrade to my old Thomson tg585v7.
The reason I wanted an upgrade was that the RAW file sizes of my new camera and are now about 25MB. Transferring several GB of photos from my laptop to my Desktop is taking longer and longer.
The Thomson ran the 802.11g  protocol with speeds up to 56Mbps, with actual speed of 24Mbps (according to the router)
The Technicolour tg582n runs the newer faster 802.11n protocol, which I thought enabled speeds up to 300Mbps.
However the router is only reporting an actual speed of 65Mbps.
I now don't have any 802.11g devices. My Laptop is less than a year old, and uses the 802.11n protocol, but only has a 100Mbps Ethernet adapter. I have one other  PC that also uses the 802.11n protocol and my Desktop which has a Gigabit Ethernet connection, though of course the router is only 100Mbps Ethernet enabled.
I had hoped to be able to get at least 100Mbps from the wireless connection
Is this 65Mbps in fact as fast as the TG582n performs or is there anything I can do to speed things up (other than disable wireless and use an Ethernet cable between laptop and desktop)
65Mbps is about 2.7 times faster than the old router, so it is an improvement, but if 65Mbps is the max throughput then can anyone recommend a good router that has a Gigabit  Ethernet connection and much faster wireless ability.
Thanks for your help
10 REPLIES 10
RPMozley
Pro
Fixes: 13

Re: Performance of the Technicolour tg582n Router

You could try setting up an ad-hoc wireless connection directly between the two computers, bypassing the slow router.
That's RPM to you!!
Slapdash

Hi,
Sorry I obviously didn't explain the situation very well.
My point really was that the new Plusnet Technicolor router was meant to be a faster router then the old Thomson using the newer 802.11n protocol.
I wasn't trying to connect the wireless laptop to the other wireless PC , but to transfer large files from the laptop to the Desktop (which is attached by Ethernet to the router).
The old Thomson was transferring at the rate of 24 Mbps (Mega Bits Per Second. 3 Mega Bytes per second) so 16 GB of RAW files (about 600 photo)  used to take about 1 and a half hours to transfer.
The so called improved performance of the Technicolor was originally 65 Mbps when I set it up (8 Mega Bytes per second) but today it is down to between 26 Mbps and 39 Mbps. Why ?
I wanted to know why the transfer speed/rate was so poor on a 802.11n protocol router when I have no slower 802.11g devices or below in the house.
I appreciate I can always put in a CAT5e Ethernet crossover cable between my Desktop and laptop, disable the laptops wireless adapter, enable the Ethernet adapter on the laptop, create static IP addresses on both machines and get transfer speeds of 100MBps, which is what I did before. What I was hoping was that the new Technicolor tg582n router would be good enough so that I could avoid all of that and achieve 100Mbps transfers through the router.
As it stands the Technicolor tg582n router does not to seem to be able to get anywhere near 100Mbps, unless it can be tweaked in some way I'm unaware of.
So my upgrade has locked me into Plusnet for another year, which is not a problem, I would have stayed anyway, but it still leaves me with a problem of low transfer speeds between a wireless laptop and my Desktop PC, which is why I asked if anyone could recommend a faster Wireless router which also had at least one 1 Gigabit Ethernet port.
Thanks
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

You only get 300Mbps theoretical in channel bonding mode http://compnetworking.about.com/od/wireless/f/80211n-300-mbps.htm and I don't think that router supports it and probably your laptop wireless card doesn't either
David_W
Rising Star

Bit of a silly question, but why not just transfer the files directly from the camera to the desktop?  If that's not possible then maybe look into getting a USB3.0 external hard drive, normal speeds (without speed boosts) is 4.3Gbps which is considerably faster than 1Gb ethernet even, you'd be transferring all the RAW files to the hard drive in seconds rather than hours (and it's so fast you could work on the files directly on the hard drive rather than transferring them to the desktop too).
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

A card reader for the desktop computer is another possibility.
Another thing to consider is that some wireless cards have asymmetric download and upload bandwidth, e.g. the Intel 5100 is "1x2", so although it can receive at 300 Mbps it can only transmit at 150 Mbps (receive at 130 and transmit at 65 without using 2 channels).
SpecialD
Rising Star

Quote from: Slapdash
Hi,
I have just received the Technicolour tg582n router as an upgrade to my old Thomson tg585v7.
The Thomson ran the 802.11g  protocol with speeds up to 56Mbps, with actual speed of 24Mbps (according to the router)
The Technicolour tg582n runs the newer faster 802.11n protocol, which I thought enabled speeds up to 300Mbps.
However the router is only reporting an actual speed of 65Mbps.

I had a Thomson (pre-fibre) then was sent a Netgear N150 for fibre - which I thought ridiculous when it actually says on their website (and on the bnox) that it isn't suitable for streaming media. So upon renewal of contract recently I asked for the latest router offering, paid my postage and waited.
I saw the order come up and then did a search for the "technicolour TG582n" - I saw this thread and this:  http://www.trustedreviews.com/plusnet-fibre-router-review#tr-review-summary
- So I've cancelled it! it looks like I'd have probably been worse off and £5 lighter! Going to see if I can get myself a decent one in the sales.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Which you will pay much more than £5 for.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

The routers default maximum connection speed is 130 Mbps but other max speeds (to to 300 Mbps) can be configured via telnet commands.
http://npr.me.uk/telnet.html#w300
With the OP's ethernet card only being 100Mbps I think it's very likely the laptop wireless card will be only "1x2" as explained by ejs.
It's often very easy to replace the wireless card in a laptop, just remove a panel from underneath and there it is. -- check if your laptop takes a half card or full card.
I can recommend a "intel 6200 AGN", you can pick them up for £15 or less from ebay.
pattojones

How do I use these telnet commands?
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

What do you want to achieve?  There is no necessity to use these commands and really ought to be left alone if you are not sure what you are doing.
The above link explains what they do and how to use them.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.