Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Performance getting worse

chrcoluk
Grafter

Re: Performance getting worse

Quote from: jelv
It's definitely a symptom - I raised this to say how it is affecting me.
I've just searched the service status archive - the last announcement of increased capacity was last July (June for 20CN which I am on).
My gut feeling is that we are back in the bad old days of Plusnet not having enough capacity. The rate at which they've been installing FTTC connections we should have been seeing regular announcements.

yeah thats telling.  I never checked when the last announcement was.
on the FTTC capacity thread I posted yet again I had to hop last night due to broken iplayer, and speeds etc. all instantly fixed after the hop.
AndyH
Grafter

I'd be surprised if they were going to keep announcing the capacity increases. It's certainly not a normal thing for any ISP to do and I doubt you can name another ISP in the UK that does the same. You could even go so far as saying that the information is sensitive, as you can kind of figure out their pricing from the contracted bandwidth they're buying.
@ purleigh - Would traffic management really kick in though before it got to that stage though?
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

It used to be a fairly regular thing, capacity updates.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
kitz
Aspiring Pro

If I'm having problems raising an appropriate fault what hope have most average users? I shouldn't have to lie as Andy has said.

I reported the same problem back in October last year.  Answering the Question "Is your broadand working" and then it closed the ticket.   
I found the whole process extremely frustrating.  Like you say if experienced users find it troublesome god help the average user.  I guess Plusnet didnt do anything about it..  the response I got was
Very sorry to hear of the problems that you have encountered in regards to raising a fault
I accept that our faults tool through the members centre is a little dated, and the wording of it could also do with a little amendment.

http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,133072.msg1163159.html#msg1163159
AndyH
Grafter

Quote from: Strat
It used to be a fairly regular thing, capacity updates.

I think generally, the level of engagement with users and information given out by Plusnet about their network etc. has gradually declined. It's not really surprising though as they are becoming a large ISP in a competitive environment.
chrcoluk
Grafter

and what have you got to back up its a lack of updates rather than a lack of upgrades?
Anonymous
Not applicable

@'AndyH' - I don't think it makes a difference to the point I'm trying to express whether traffic management kicks in or not,  if there was any limiting factor which affected everyone, caused by something within Plusnet's server capacity (for whatever reason) during peak times then I would expect to see the traffic graph look distorted - but they don't.
My simple answer to the capacity updates conspiracy theory, is that members of the DCT used to do it, particularly Chris Purvey - who has moved eleswhere, so my guess is that the CRT didn't pick up this reporting task from the DCT when things changed on the 28th July.
chrcoluk
Grafter

Quote from: kitz

If I'm having problems raising an appropriate fault what hope have most average users? I shouldn't have to lie as Andy has said.

I reported the same problem back in October last year.  Answering the Question "Is your broadand working" and then it closed the ticket.    
I found the whole process extremely frustrating.  Like you say if experienced users find it troublesome god help the average user.   I guess Plusnet didnt do anything about it..  the response I got was
Very sorry to hear of the problems that you have encountered in regards to raising a fault
I accept that our faults tool through the members centre is a little dated, and the wording of it could also do with a little amendment.

http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,133072.msg1163159.html#msg1163159

the entire plusnet site is static, there is numerous problems that dont get fixed, its as if they dont employ staff to manage the software.
AndyH
Grafter

@ chrcoluk - Nothing. But have we seen large numbers of people complaining about performance since they stopped giving the capacity update notices?
However, we know (and there have been a lot of grumblings behind the scenes from ISPs) that BT Wholesale's network has been stretched in large areas across the country since XMAS. Their own monitoring has even shown this, and this is only half the picture as they don't publish their core transit monitoring.
AndyH
Grafter

@ purleigh - That's also a distinct possibility. Looking at the Status Page, a lot of the Services have not been updated for some time.
chrcoluk
Grafter

andyh you a regular on here, you know very well in the last month or so there has been a marked increase of performance complaints, the problem is they scattered across numerous threads and people are often getting led up the wrong path in diagnosis.
Also there is a pattern emerging as well that reconnecting PPP fixes it, which rules out exchange/svlan side.
I myself was like trying to bleed a rock when asking for my svlan status which I now have got (no surprise its blue).  Now we know it isnt svlan any progress on diagnosing seems to have stopped.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Quote from: chrcoluk
Also there is a pattern emerging as well that reconnecting PPP fixes it, which rules out exchange/svlan side.

That also rules out backhaul capacity, because if the was insufficient bandwidth, then a PPP reconnect wouldn't fix it.
chrcoluk
Grafter

who's backhaul?
on plusnet side, it isnt staticly assigned so a ppp hop can put you on a different endpoint.
AndyH
Grafter

@ chrcoluk - A large number of those performance complaints are because of localised BTW issues though. Some are fixed and quite a few are ongoing.
Plusnet network guys are constantly monitoring the capacity threads on here (literally 7 days a week). I doubt they would be looking at the threads for fun, so they are most likely looking at the gateway you're connected to and if they can see any issues their end. The fact that Chris has no update is probably a good indication that they cannot find anything wrong their end.
@ purleigh - The problem is the BRAS > Host Links (Handovers) are not static routes. You can land on the same gateway 10 times, but take a different network path each time.
leader
Grafter

Quote from: Kelly

We are working with Juniper, the device vendors to stabilise things, but also BT  because they have a lots of good people there and why turn down the help when it's available.  

That's  all you need to know
So  questions via carrier pigeon to S Smith which will be then flown express in line with the yang model configs  to  Rob S ........