Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Performance getting worse

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: Performance getting worse

What are you doing to our faults checker Tongue
If you want to leave it where you are, I'll finish getting it raised.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
AndyH
Grafter

I had this - you need to say "The Broadband light is flashing, changing colour or it's off" otherwise it tells you your service is fine (despite highlighting the performance as an issue).
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: Chris
@jelv
Can you open a fault ticket for us? We can see if there are any less congested VPs and try to get you moved to one.

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
jelv
Seasoned Hero

What are you doing to our faults checker Tongue

If I'm having problems raising an appropriate fault what hope have most average users? I shouldn't have to lie as Andy has said.
Chris
Legend

Right. There are 8 VPs I can see at your exchange from the report on the 4th Feb.
5 AMBER, 1 GREEN and 2 BLUE.
You're on the GREEN one, so in the date range used to compile the report there was no capacity issues.
I'm going to ask someone more faulty than me to have a look and see what they suggest.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

In case anyone thinks I'm just complaining about poorer speed test results, it is affecting me.
I have Microsoft Lync up nearly all the time. During the day it's fine. Recently I've been finding that in the evening it frequently loses connection to the server.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Which queue should Lync traffic be in (hint it can be used for making calls)?
Chris
Legend

I'm sure I've seen someone else mentioning lync, and had supplied a wireshark capture for it. I believe we were adding a signature for it to the system in December, so it should be classified correctly, Any chance you can wireshark it and upload to a ticket? I'll ask the guys to take a look asap.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Does classification apply correctly to IPv6? I've just been looking at a Wireshark and spotted that a lot (but not all) of the Lync traffic is IPv6.
Chris
Legend

I'm not 100% sure, however we'd always suggest testing without any IPv6 tunnels etc just to be sure.
chrcoluk
Grafter

check this thread as could be same issue.
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,135389.msg1198223.html#msg1198223
Also Chris note please I posted an update.  The trigger of me doing the speedtest and hopping was iplayer got really bad.  Also I can see on my tbb graph now I checked that latency was getting quite high and then recovered with the hop. (remember my svlan is blue).
jelv
Seasoned Hero

I'm sure I've seen someone else mentioning lync, and had supplied a wireshark capture for it. I believe we were adding a signature for it to the system in December, so it should be classified correctly, Any chance you can wireshark it and upload to a ticket? I'll ask the guys to take a look asap.

I've added two wireshark captures to the ticket. The first with IPv6 enabled, the second with it disabled.
Anonymous
Not applicable

While I'm sure Jelv's observations on IPv4/IPv6 Microsoft Lync are probably very interesting and relevant to his issue,  but those Wireshark traces are unlikely explain why his SamKnows whitebox graph of download speed tests has deteriorated recently when 'Chris' states that Jelv's connection VP is GREEN and there are no capacity issues.  If the exchange is not the problem and something else that is not 'Lync' protocol related is going on, then the 'Lync' stuff might be a red-herring ?,  and is likely to be a symptom rather than the cause.

Jelv's SamKnows whitebox download speed test results -
jelv
Seasoned Hero

It's definitely a symptom - I raised this to say how it is affecting me.
I've just searched the service status archive - the last announcement of increased capacity was last July (June for 20CN which I am on).
My gut feeling is that we are back in the bad old days of Plusnet not having enough capacity. The rate at which they've been installing FTTC connections we should have been seeing regular announcements.
Anonymous
Not applicable

If Plusnet were running close to the limits of capacity (whether backhaul or gateway throughput), wouldn't we expect to see a flattening (or clipping) at the top of the aggregated traffic graphs during peak times ?