Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pear shaped traffic shaping??

craiglay
Grafter

Re: Pear shaped traffic shaping??

Cheers James, u got their username? Indeed Wink
Craig P. Na, interleaving improves connection stability on poor quality lines.. Only really the connection between you and the exchange. Having it on increases the ping
James
Grafter

Yep Smiley
I've placed the order and it should complete tomorrow.
craiglay
Grafter

Cheers James, Cant beat the support here!
craig_p
Grafter

That what i thought. im on a long line and get 3850 as a stable speed so in not complaining
Cant work out what the p2p speed issue is though Angry
griffog
Dabbler

I'm the customer who posted on USENET.  In summary, I have a Broadband Premier Option 1 Account.  Since Monday I have had major issues with web access during the day i.e. my off-peak period.  Around 4pm all springs back into life.
As I work from home and rely on web access this has caused me huge difficulties.  I've gone through the fault reporting and had the form replies each time. I know this isn't an issue with my hardware because it all works fine after 4pm yet four days later I'm still no closer to a resolution.
I was on Level 1 traffic management towards the end of last month as I was approaching the 17Gb peak limits but that ought not to affect my service during the off-peak Midnight to 4pm period.
So I've bought a new router (I was willing to try anything) and wasted lord knows how many hours on this and am less than impressed that I had to resort to a post on USENET to get any sense.
So what's the latest?  Am I any nearer to getting access to the service I pay for?
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

When was your billing date?
What does VMBU say for your peak and off-peak usage for the current month?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
griffog
Dabbler

Quote from: jelv
When was your billing date?
What does VMBU say for your peak and off-peak usage for the current month?

Today's day 1 of the next billing month and I'm still experiencing the issue.  My current usage is almost nil as I can only get any access if I reboot the router. It then lasts for a few minutes before dying again.  Last month (4th November - 3rd December) VMBU reports 16.8GB Peak and 29.74GB Off-Peak. Neither of which exceed the top limit.  As I never exceeded 17GB Peak I only ever had Level 1 Management applied.
If I ping The PN portal I get 1000ms + reply times when the issue is occurring, reboot and I get 20-30ms response times for 3 -4 mins before it rises back to 1000+
James
Grafter

Hiya,
I believe that Dave T is already looking into this for you, but just in case he wasn't, I've just dropped him a message to do so.
griffog
Dabbler

Cheers James, as before all has sprung into life again now so I can start work again  Roll_eyes
griffog
Dabbler

And just when I had hoped we might be getting somewhere it's now going pear shaped again and AFTER 4pm which is a first.  Come on, sort it out for gawd's sake this is way beyond funny now.
James
Grafter

Sorry Darren, Dave's been in a meeting for the last hour or so.
As soon as he's out I'll have a word with him.
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 4

Hi,
Just checked your account and there's no restrictions in place. What sort of speeds do you see on a speedtest? High ping time wouldn't generally indicate a profile or traffic management issue as ping gets the highest priority on the network so 1000ms ping times would generally be indicative of another cause to the problem (could be line related for example). The speedtests and times of them would help in determining the cause.
Dave Tomlinson
Enterprise Architect - Network & OSS
Plusnet Technology
griffog
Dabbler

And therein lies the problem! When the issue arises I can't get to the Speedtest webpage nor any other!  As I write this, all is working and I live in hope that it stays that way but I don't doubt that when I awake tomorrow it will be knackered again.
What kind of problems have you experienced that cause issues such as this only during the working day? This only started Monday, if it were an issue with someone local to me hammering the link then a reboot of my router woudn't temporarily resolve matters.
Are there any other tests I can do my end to help?  Would a trace route when the issue is present be of any help?
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

A traceroute might tell us a thing or two so it's worth you posting one I guess. Is your router wireless or wired? If it's wireless then could you try connecting to it via an ethernet cable and switching wireless off to see if the problem still exists. Forgive me if the information's already in your fault ticket but do you know anybody with a laptop who could try replicating the problem from your house with your machine switched off? At least we could then rule out something local to your PC and the possibility that your wireless connection is being hijacked (if you have one).

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

griffog
Dabbler

My desktop is on the LAN connected directly to the router.  The issue is affecting this and three other laptops (all on WLAN) and occurs regardless of how many are ON.  Desktop and two laptops are Macs, the other is a Windows laptop.
The WLAN is WPA2 protected but I have during the course of testing disabled Wireless and checked the logs for any unauthorised connections and none were present.
The connection has been affected this evening (although not at this moment as I've just rebooted the router).  I have until today been problem free after 4pm so this is making the issue even worse as I can now not even catch up on work in the evening.